Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy Is the change to post EC buying good?
      All times are GMT  

Is the post EC "buyer goes to start" good for the balance or not and why?
Yep. It makes the game better and more balanced
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Nop. The game is random at end or balance is disturbed
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
I donno.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
I care less than you think.
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:59 am
carrieann06
Star

Post subject: Reply with quote

meg can i ask for an honest answer? how many games have you played since the new changes? coz your the only person to say recesion is too slow, i think its like 3x faster than it was before, and as for hitting bonus, i find people hittin bonus less after recesion now

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:45 pm
meg
Planet

i have played it a lot and the thing about recession is that when i have someone in great debt and recession hits they should go out instead i find more often then not they actually do continually land on bonus. And because of the way recession is now i have to play longer waiting for someone to go out which in fact annoys me as i need points...

i dont know whether this makes sense to anyone else but it makes sense to me

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:14 am
aussie
Ex Moderator

i agree with meg..........the recess start at 50 is too low......i reckon it should be higher too.....it takes forever for someone to die........buying the more expensive properties doesnt mean much anymore.....althought green still has plenty of kick............

yeah i think the buyer returning to start is good......

aussie

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:25 am
muffinhead
Planet

Well i think u should return to start but i think start should stay at 50 cause somone could be about to go round and ec goes to -150 or whatever. So how about we make ec go to -20 or -25 every time somone passes go. This would make the game quicker without ruining the luck factor.

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:08 pm
TypHooN999
Planetoid

When the s*it goes down yo... i wanna see it go down fast Wink

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:01 pm
Popovitsj
Moon

Please don't chance it again! :p

I just got used to it haha

I think the new rule is fine, i just think that it's really odd that suddenly you still need to throw again if you auction on doubles.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:31 am
aussie
Ex Moderator

I think the way the game is at the moment involves too much luck.........tell me what strategy is involved with a player with no cash ....no sets.....but credit around 2000......bids for a prop....gets left with it and is -1220 in recession at -100.......and who then gets 5/6 bonuses in succession.......this player is clearly dead..........but new recession allows this person to remain in game....thus making the game very boring very annoying and longer than it need be.............(i am talking about 2p by the way)

change is necessary....

aussie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:33 am
aussie
Ex Moderator

why are my posts coming up double

???????????????????????

aussie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:53 am
Husky
Ex Moderator

I've seen that.
Maybe it's because of your internet connection. Or I don't know.

Anyway, now it's fixed. Wink

Husky - best dogs ever invented.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:02 am
muffinhead
Planet

well i suck at 2p anyway so that good 4 me lol.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:37 am
Husky
Ex Moderator

muffinhead wrote:
well i suck at 2p anyway so that good 4 me lol.

?????

You lost me Muffi with this one. Wink

Husky - best dogs ever invented.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:56 am
muffinhead
Planet

What i meant was im horrible at 2p games but now its based on luck it gives me a better chance. it was meant to be a joke.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:26 pm
MadMACS
Moon

I think that all of the changes that Kreso has put into the game all increase the enjoyment and strategy of the game.

The only two areas left that are truly "luck" infested are Bonus, and Jail (and the non-random dice rolls).

Here's my take on Bonus & Jail, but I think that everything else (-50 -15 EC, auction purchase back to start, etc) all make the game more strategic and interesting in EC. The only two things that change the outcome of a game during EC from "possible win" to "unreal loss" are the Bonus and Jail.

OK, after getting burned by BONUS just a few times too many, I've got an idea that will put more "strategy" into Bonus.

1. Before EC, Bonus = 2 x current Start value, with a Max set by the # of players (perhaps the current amounts, 500, 370, 300, 270). In addition to the value of Bonus decreasing through time (the bank starts running out of money), Bonus ALSO will have the effect of passing Start, meaning that any player in debt will pay 20% interest on their negative debt BEFORE receiving the Bonus money. The reason for this is that hitting Bonus is now effectively like passing Start 2x for the cost of 1 interest payment, instead of free money willy nilly.

2. After EC, Bonus = 0.5 * start Value (taking money from all players) with the Start effect as well. The reason for this logic is that during EC, the Banks are forcing margin calls on hedge bets (the upgraded properties that haven't returned on their investment).

The reason for my suggestions is this... at the beginning of the game, when start values are high (200+), it makes sense that Bonus gives everyone a nice chunk of change, and it helps put cash into the system so that people can buy properties and upgrade. But, when Start = 20, and you hit Bonus in a 2P game, that's the effect of 25 laps around the board at once. That's a rediculous cash infusion for the player who is banking on their "short credit" that Bonus is coming to bail them out.

I've played 3 games lately where I played shrewdly and got my opponents to spend all of their cash, only to have Bonuses quickly replenish their spending ability. I mean, when you purchases the reds in a 2p game, one bonus = 1 upgrade. That's a lot of luck offsetting the strategy of forcing the player into debt.

By adding the "pass start" feature to Bonus, and decreasing the payout value, it'll be much more likely that if 1 player has 6k cash, and the other player has 500 cash, the 6k player would say "yes, advance to bonus" because it'll get to EC quicker without giving the 500 player a lot of cash, and even better, if the other player is negative, they'll have to pay interest.

One other suggestion that I have, not for bonus, but for jail, is that during EC, when you land in jail, for whatever reason, jail is only the 1 round of rolls that you don't collect rent, and you are then thrown back on the streets because there isn't enough order in the prisons to hold everyone while economic collapse is rolling throughout the land. By only making jail 1 turn, you'll speed things up, and also prevent the "I was in jail for 3 turns and didn't get any rent" scenario, or the "I was in jail for 3 turns and the other player ran around the board and bankrupted himself" scenario. Since you get quickly thrown back on the board, and about to pass Start again, you're already "penalized" because you advanced quickly around the board without choice.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:34 pm
aussie
Ex Moderator

as someone has already suggested on this topic...i cant remember who it was ....and i am too lazy to go check.....but.when you go to jail you should be hit with a fine ..say $100 and not miss a turn.....jail time wins many players the game as it stands now.... esp when recession is around 500+ .......some players go to jail over 10 times in a game...........there must be a consequence for jail ...............and mate i know what you mean ie bonus ...... bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus bonus and about 10 more bonuses

aussie

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:24 am
muffinhead
Planet

I think it was either me or husky who got the idea which i should know if it came from me lol. But yes i think there should be an opposite to bonus. But madmacs y hav u posted the same thingg 3 times.