Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion R.I.P.
      All times are GMT  

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:19 am
theunknownamus

Post subject: R.I.P. Reply with quote

Rest In Peace, Galactic Magnate Forum. You had a great run. We'll miss you. Sad

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:00 pm
nockTurnal
Planetoid

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Reply with quote

theunknownamus wrote:
Rest In Peace, Galactic Magnate Forum. You had a great run. We'll miss you. Sad

Well, I'm quite relieved that nothing happened to any members. You just never know when opening up a thread with that title.

So why do you all suppose this forum went dead? Perhaps they should switch the sections around a little. Since this area is the 2nd most popular of the forum, why not move it up under the "Report Cheaters" area? Give it a better placement. Honestly, I get confused sometimes when visiting and see the "Off Topic Chit Chat" and this. Perhaps that section should be deleted.

I think maybe if they put some kind of link in the game "Visit The Forum" maybe more people would come here. It's not exactly promoted very well.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:52 am
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

I can explain the reasoning behind how the forum was set out after I revamped it with the help of the moderators at the time. The top section was placed there with new users in mind, rules, help, announcements, report section. 2nd section was aimed at galactic magnate itself. 3rd section was aimed at allowing places for people to talk about things unrelated to GM. So off topic was aimed at talks about anything and everything NOT related to the game. The sauna, which unfortunately has not had much use was created to be seen only on logging in firstly, this was both as a little something to entice users not to simply read the forum without ever logging in or creating an account, also so that banned users would not be capable of viewing the entire forum. The sauna was aimed at a place for users to have heated discussions, with a lesser degree of moderation. A place to air views and discuss when it was likely to cause an argument. As the forum is not as well used as hoped that section has not paid off basically. Also the aim was by spreading the forum out it would aid in bringing new posts to the front thus helping them be seen and receive replies. But with such an empty forum it doesn't really make any difference, if anything maybe even makes it appear worse Sad .

To put the forum in to perspective, it could be turned around IF and only if people use it. IF 10 users (yes just 10) were to commit to each creating 1 forum post a day for a month, that would create 300 posts in just 1 month!
If there were a minimum of 300 new posts in a month then users would start viewing the forum daily to keep up with reading them. They may then wish to contribute to them also.......and the ball would be rolling. What's happening a lot is people make a post and its is not much responded to. Days can go by with no new posts, or if there are any most are in the complaint section. A section not for open discussion, so nothing there for the average user to get involved in. But I can't see things changing really, not for the near future at least.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:55 am
nockTurnal
Planetoid

trace567 wrote:

To put the forum in to perspective, it could be turned around IF and only if people use it.

Thanks for your very insightful post, trace. That gives me and others who are newer a sense of history I suppose. It just seemed to me a bit redundant to have three general area chats. But now your post explains why that was done. Everything comes down to one word around here: Kreso. So without Kreso nothing's ever going to change I guess. Hardly worth the discussion because he probably won't even read this. He could easily put a link somehow in the software. While people are waiting in the Lobby they could click on the link to forum.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 am
meg
Planet

there is a link right under the change password button

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:34 am
nockTurnal
Planetoid

meg wrote:
there is a link right under the change password button

Oh wow meg. Thanks for pointing that out. I probably just forgot it was there. But it disappears once you click "join game". And that is what most of us do. So once you've clicked to join game, you're not going to view that. And that is where the problem is. It should stay there. A lot of people get bored in that lobby. Sending them to the forum would be a great idea. Maybe even an automatic comment in chat with a link. That would take some software engineering ingenuity to accomplish.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:02 am
molecule
Planet

At one time the forum was a busy place, so when Trace changed the look of the forum she used the best resources she could to make it more appealing. (i was for the green color). it is a definate improvement from only 5 catagories i believe it was.
As for making changes try this link
http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5386
my own request would be to have rent on unupgraded properties say basically half price of the first upgrade, with no further rent for owning the whole set.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:16 am
molecule
Planet

One of the first moderators had an idea for increasing forum usage but unfortunately it got off topic
http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3191
there was also a time when players were awarded for helping new players,
but if your an experienced player and find yourself in a position to play a newperson you can always play unrated for practice then they will more likely play again instead of starting behind after getting beat.
i hardly need to link this
http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
but i found some of the older posts were very helpful
i also try to direct new players to this link if possible
http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4745
remember the important thing is to enjoy playing
and it sure wouldnt hurt to give a few tips to some new players or help them find the forum.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:27 am
meg
Planet

the problem with that idea is if you are waiting for a game and then go to the forum you may miss the game.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 am
nockTurnal
Planetoid

meg wrote:
the problem with that idea is if you are waiting for a game and then go to the forum you may miss the game.

No it won't. I minimize GM all the time when I'm waiting and do other things. I sometimes completely forget I'm even joined, and suddenly out of nowhere the game maximizes on its own and starts up. So it doesn't matter with this game as it's not web-based.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:33 am
meg
Planet

mine does not maximize when a game starts so i can only assume that at least some people would miss games and lose points at a minimum

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 pm
trace567

Are you using it in windowed mode meg? Just curious as I've always found mine to come full screen when a game begins, I don't use windowed mode (can't on my laptop)

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:55 pm
theunknownamus

Trace hit the nail on the head. If even just 5 users post daily for a month, 150 monthly posts will create activity. More activity = more views. And I wasn't aware of the forum link in the lobby Laughing

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:39 am
meg
Planet

i dont get a choice on the laptop its full screen or nothing

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:24 am
fifacoins14

Post subject: change with would be the usual Reply with quote

Produce a positive change with would be the usual mmog nationally on.