Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Email accounts linked to usernames
      All times are GMT  

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 am
fingerbun
Planet

Post subject: Email accounts linked to usernames Reply with quote

I know this is easier said then done, but having an email linked to a member would be very beneficial. Its too easy to create an account here, it must be the only game on the net where you do not need to submit an email.

The benefits of this:

1. Emails can be sent to members who participate in ‘cheat’ trades. If they are not active in the forum they have no chance to defend themselves. And most members I speak to are not even aware there is a forum. Secondly, warnings can be sent which insures a player actually understands and knows what they did wrong. Catching them in the lobby to chat is hard, and maybe to late as they may have left the game by that stage.

2. Email members regarding tournaments.

3. Warning emails to members who use vulgar language. Again, most members are not aware of the rules and don’t take the time to read them. They swear, log in next time to find their banned and don’t bother coming back.

4. Enforcing members to have a valid email address to create an account will insure new members understand the rules.

5. Members can link as many accounts to their email address as they like. This insures members do not need to create a new email every time they want to create a new account.

6. One day… if we ever have any update or changes to the game, members can be emailed.

7. Email members encouraging them to participate in the forum- I think this is the big key. Get more people participating in the forum will flow on to the game

8. Yes, I know you have to submit an email to create a forum account but that is not good enough. Too many members don’t know the forum exists.

9. So basically, every time you create an account, you must enter a valid email address. An email is then sent to that address so you can be verified.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:04 am
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, now why didn't I think of that Laughing

Well I did long time ago, but sadly we have what we have and that's it! Least unless kreso gets more responses for the open sourcing idea.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:19 am
fingerbun
Planet

kreso is a smart boy, Im sure he can do it for us. I will sling him a 50 for the 30 minutes it takes him to do this.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:21 pm
trace567

We have what we have and thats it! It is highly frustrating that nothing can really be changed, fixed or improved. I have a list as long as your arm of things I would like done, but its not going to happen unless kreso suddenly has a lot of time on his hands and finds the motivation to make alterations. Not likely any time soon, and he knows this and this is one reason he agreed to ranban's suggestion to open source but there has been zero interest or offers from programmers hence he has not done so.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:39 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Yes, we all feel the frustration! Actually, Kreso is still open to open sourcing GM, provided there is "enough" interest. He hasn't specified what consists of "enough" interest, though.

I personally feel we don't actually need that all that many developers - perhaps 2 apart from Kreso may be enough! What we need more are people who are prepared to spend some time testing new features, enhancements and bug fixes.

I can understand why Kreso is insisting on more numbers, though. Suppose he took some time out to explain the code to one developer, and that developer (for whatever reason) lost interest after that. That would be a waste of Kreso's effort. That is where more numbers would help - even if one guy drops out, progress can still be made.

I am trying to interest some (developer) colleagues of mine - the trouble is that most of them use Macintoshes (As you know, GM doesn't have a Mac version), and they find the idea of running GM on a Windows emulator too troublesome, or don't own a valid Windows licence.