Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Community input in ban and penality guidelines
      All times are GMT  

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:03 pm
trace567

Post subject: Community input in ban and penality guidelines Reply with quote

http://galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5287
to find the current guidelines

I have been wanting to make some alterations to the above for a while, but I want users to have a greater input and control of what ban's and point reductions are issued for various things.

I am planning to run a series of forum polls (all will have end dates to collect results), thinking this maybe the easiest way to get users to select what they believe to be fair punishments from a list of options. Of course moderators also can vote.

Any alterations made to the penalty guidelines, will also affect users who are currently serving a ban - should the penalty be changed. This may mean bans being reduced or removed.

Feel free to discuss below

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:41 am
fingerbun
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, simplifying the rules/punishments. The current guideline is very long and complex. Even me, smart and handsome as I am, found your referred post a tad confusing.

Lets look at the majority of complaints. Am I correct in saying the majority are from the 3 player format? If so, then remove that format of the game.

The next biggest problem I am assuming is abuse. Well there is a mute button. Players need to mute the offender and toughen up. Easy.

So, no punishments for swearing, abuse or anything to do with chat. If players don’t like what they read they can mute the other player- simple.

Punishments only on OBVIOUS cheat trades. Like giving all your properties away for $100. I see so many trades which I believe are justifiable or just lack good judgement. But members are given reduced points.(And if I say anything in the forum about it I get in trouble).

In my opinion, trades are such a grey area in this game. The format of rents, credits and prices mean that no trade is really going to be equal. I challenge anyone to give me a trade where both sides get the exact same positive outcome. I will pick it too pieces. No matter the trade, one side will get a advantage over the other.

I could give you examples of trades where on first glance sound like a cheat, but when you dig deeper, they are an advantage to both players.

Moving on… 50% time added for every offence. For example, 24 hours ban for obvious cheat trade, 36 hours for 2nd offence, 54 hour ban for 3rd offence and so on. Its simple and easy. It works like compounding interest, it gets higher by bigger amounts every time.

Points passing = all accounts reset to 1000.

How is it that I have been here since 2007 and never once reported anyone? Players need to stop being such pussies. Otherwise, only play two player games- it’s the purest form of the game.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:35 am
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Post subject: My tuppence Reply with quote

I do not think that the 3 player format is a particular problem, and can't understand Fingerbun's obsession about it. If anybody feels that the 3p format is not for them, then they shouldn't play it.

As for the penalty guidelines for chat, I feel that the chat guidelines need to be more lenient. Perhaps we can go one level lower when it comes to penalties - minor issues should carry warnings, medium issues should carry short bans, and major issues longer bans.

I think that no bans should be issued without warnings unless the issue is really serious - such as http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5455. The warnings could be made more friendly - such as explaining that certain kind of language is not acceptable, telling players that they are a part of the GM community and that their actions are detrimental to the game as a whole, etc. I believe that mature people will respond to such warnings better than if they were to find themselves banned, or if they receive a curt and rude warning.

I also think that the moderators should avoid the temptation of banning players just because a player quarrels with the mods, or uses strong (but not abusive) language with them. Also, when a moderator is subjected to abuse, it may be better to let another mod take the decision on that matter.

I broadly agree with the trade rules. I feel that the non trading rules should be imposed more rigorously. Also some thought could be given to the rule about opening property and not bidding for it - it could be strategy - or it could be pure spite.

The fact that some of the moderators infringe the above mentioned rules does not mean that the rules should not be imposed.

The moderating on forums needs to be more lenient. It is OK to move posts from one section to another if the post is not fit for the forum. However, users(who shall remain nameless) making relevant posts have been banned just because they voiced their opinions too strongly or have quarrelled with moderators (who shall remain nameless). Only spammers should be banned.

I sometimes feel that some moderators are ban-happy, just looking to ban players, and looking to stomp their authority. I seem to remember Magflag saying that he once banned one guy(Well, obviously he had done something wrong) because it made him feel powerful. Magflag was honest enough to admit it, but I think that ALL moderators have done this at some point or other. Far too many 100 day+ bans were handed out. The effect is that some people who are actually interested in the game, and contribute to the game get put off by this kind of behaviour and not return. The moderators need to understand that they are not bigger than the game.

Finally, kudos to Trace for starting this thread. I appreciate the time the moderators give to the game, and am happy that some lessons have been learned since http://galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3723 . It is important that the players and moderators put their egos and misunderstandings aside and pull in the same direction to make GM a better place.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:22 am
fingerbun
Planet

Reading your last link made me chuckle. Typical behaviour by CYN/Jenny, a total bully in the lobby. I have mentioned her abrupt and rude manner before. She’s like a helen/aussie on steroids.

Anyway, in regards to your last link, I think it’s a joke that moderators publish chat. I know what they are doing- they just want to embarrass the player. And its always one side, never the whole story.

I remember when husky published my chat once, it was very conveniently chopped and failed to show the start or end of the conversation. It’s a propaganda tool used by mods to gain support and embarrass members- it’s a joke

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:09 pm
trace567

Well the thread highlighted by Ranban is actually a case I will never forget, it to me proved to be a learning experience. However, the information within that thread certainly doesn’t give a complete picture of the events which both lead up to, and proceeded it. It’s probably more productive that lessons be learned from the past, rather than to dwell on what is far too late to be changed.

It was always a rule that moderators (unless the current active head) cannot rule any trades in their own games, but this was not extended to chat incidences within games. Now I believe it to be perfectly acceptable for a moderator to place a “holding” ban on someone in such chat events - provided it is for the immediate benefit of players (to remove an abusive person). Then another moderator can review the log independently and place the appropriate penalty. I feel this is better both for players and moderators. That said, there are occasions when as a head mod you have to make the ultimate decision to remove, and how long for on the spot - but this does not mean it cannot be challenged by other moderators should they feel it to be unfair.

Now my aims with this thread, and the to follow polls is to hopefully break down this negativity and resentment which has over time built up within the community towards moderators, and their powers and how they use them. Now what we need is constructive feedback, constructive criticism, and also for moderators the ability to listen to players.

Quote:

Typical behaviour by CYN/Jenny, a total bully in the lobby. I have mentioned her abrupt and rude manner before. She’s like a helen/aussie on steroids.

Finger, whilst your statements towards CYN may well reflect “your” views, I do not see there being anything constructive in the way in which you choose to deliver them. Nor do I see any ownership of those views, I see more an assumption that others hold your views equally - I believe it fair to assume that not everyone does! Do you not feel that it would be more productive to make a more constructive statement which will be listened to and heard, rather than such an aggressive remark that will bring nothing but negativity to a very important discussion of allowing players to take an active part in important decisions? Remarks like this are what leads moderators to shut down communication and discussion, and are thus detrimental to the entire community.
I encourage you to have a view point, and equally to share that - but I most certainly cannot encourage, nor allow you to use attacking styles of writing in attempts to humiliate and undermine moderators or players here on the forum.
If you continue to do as such you will ultimately end up with your right to use the forum removed until you can be more constructive and diplomatic in your delivery.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Post subject: On a different note Reply with quote

I observe that some players have been banned from the forum, the most recent being Wallace, I believe, and indeed was being discussed on a thread which is now locked. I have read Wallace's posts, not all of which are constructive, but I do not believe any of them should be the cause of a ban. I, of course, don't know what transpired in the games and the lobby.

Then there are ban threats on some users on the forum. Most posts have something constructive in them. And they make the place a little more active, and a little less dead. Which is what we want, don't we?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 pm
trace567

Well I think I want to scream.............anyone wish to join me?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:37 am
Apollon
Planetoid

No Ranban Wallace has been banned from game 1 year!! And there is nothing wrong been done...

For some reason Trace dont want to write what was said in the lobby that is worth 1 years ban, first it was 5 days bad now a year! And that dosent follow her own guidelines.

And when I comment on it, cause I think its so bad og her, she threatening to ban me also for saying how I feel... So YES Trace I also want to scream - scream to you: Why are you so unfair? Show us at least what was said in the lobby.

Tina

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm
trace567

Tina you know very well that much has happened prior to his ban, many warnings given to wallace personally and previous bans. As he was clearly putting you up to this it was very apparent he has no intention of changing one bit rendering the 5 day ban a waste of time.
Nor would one bit of chat explain the entire situation of the history of wallaces behaviour on GM, I believe you know this and are trying to their for manipulate the situation in his favour.
Within an hour of my forum warning to him, and a warning given directly to him by me on the lobby in pm he was trying to start an argument with Cyn. What is the use in a warning he does not listen to?

End of subject, if you disagree please contact kreso.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Apollon
Planetoid

It cant be end of subject when you end it with a ?

Wallace simply asked CYN what she thought was wrong with the trade. Nothing more or less. If its not the case PLEASE post the forum conversation.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:39 pm
trace567

Ok Tina, I am now opening the case up to other moderators to decide wallaces ban length where I imposed the 1 year ban.
His fate is now not in my hands but the hands of Prince, Toon and CYN.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:40 pm
Apollon
Planetoid

Thankyou Trace

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:51 pm
Apollon
Planetoid

But Cyn was the one reporting Wallace so it would not be fair that she should deside! I think it should be up to Prince and Toon...

Thank you

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:14 pm
trace567

I have opened a mod section forum poll. Options are:

no ban
5 days
10-15
1 year

I am asking all mods to vote and we will go with the majority.

So that will be prince, toon, cyndi, bezma and myself. I of course will be polling 1 year.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 pm
Apollon
Planetoid

Seriously trace is that a joke. Do you think that is fair after your long guild lines. Why dont you just post what was said in the lobby.
Just let Toonz who is the only impartial mod look at it instead of making this even more stupid

Tina

Ps remember this is not a question about your personal thing with Wallace, this is about guild lines and what is fair.