Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy help settle an argument: was this a bad trade?
      All times are GMT  

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:02 am
movierain
Asteroid

Post subject: help settle an argument: was this a bad trade? Reply with quote

Ok so here is the situation they wont be exact but it is to the best of my memory. I was playing a 3 player game with justaspliff and bleu (something). The start was at about +50ish I had over 6k, spliff had about 1800ish, and bleu had 1300ish. Bleu had light blue and dark blue sets fully upgraded. Me and spliff were aggressively bidding and blocking each other. I had 2 blacks and spliff had 4 whites, 2 blacks.

I offered him a trade which he declined and said I was being "too greedy" I asked him if he had any suggestions and he sent me this offer:

To me: 1 yellow, 1 orange, 2 blacks. To him: 1 green, 1200 cash.

I didn't like the idea of giving him cash on top of green but I figured if I didn't do something I would be 3rd. So I accepted.

It is now Bleu's turn, he pauses to evaluate the trade. He then starts to berate me and called the trade "really really stupid" and said I was a terrible player and didn't know what I was doing. He also said all I did was help spliff win the game. I told him he was just upset because I was now going to be at least 2nd and bleu was going to be 3rd. He basically told me I was delusional for thinking that and I was the one that would be 3rd. We then started arguing about who was in a better position.

I told him that orange + yellow + black > light blue + dark blue.

Anyway I ended up finishing 1st and bleu insisted that he was still right probability wise and that I was just lucky. I admit I was lucky that spliff didn't get much action on green. But was this really a terrible trade? And was I in as bad of shape as bleu thought?

What do you guys say?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 am
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment will be more theory than the actual trade, as without the whole game sheet its hard to see 100% what's what.

BUT trading in 3p is actually the hardest. As trade criteria is benefit and advancing. Now to advance in 3p, a trade therefore must be likely (not definite of course) but have good prospect of both attaining a higher rank. So in 3p it means placing the person you aren't trading with into 3rd place. Now some often feel like that is teaming, but in 3p it is very important.

So whilst in your trade one of you should have hope of 1st the other 2nd....so if it was theoretically viable for this, it cannot be classed as a cheat trade, or a bad trade. It just simply annoyed the player not trading as they are now pushed to 3rd place. Of course further trading may again change this, but I hope that makes sense.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 am
princeofpersia1992
Ex Moderator

Nope I don't think that was a bad trade at all,I would hv also accepted if I was getting made 3 sets giving off green and even with cash when I know without a trade I m cming last!!!!Very Happy Very Happy

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 am
princeofpersia1992
Ex Moderator

Nope I don't think that was a bad trade at all,I would hv also accepted if I was getting made 3 sets giving off green and even with cash when I know without a trade I m cming last!!!!Very Happy Very Happy

Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 am
Bleu_Soul
Planetoid

I'm not going to lie and say that I remember everything about the game specifically, but I'm pretty sure that I was obviously annoyed at getting 3rd, lol.

It's too far gone to say exactly what the specifics of the situation were now, but I'm certain now thinking about it that you must have been fairly desperate and with few options, hence why you accepted the trade. Given that ec was imminent, after the trade and upgrades you would have had orange, yellow, and all blacks under you belt. Calculating income per revolution by multiplying number of squares by money earned whenever landed upon (and in the case of white also by how ever many players can land on it to give one profit, but in this instance it will just be multiplied by 1.5 since there are three players and would thus be one and a half times as valuable as black), you would have had 300 + 500+ 600 (orange + yellow + black, in that order) = 1400, left with 1800 in cash according to your estimates. I would have had 600 + 750 = 1350, with 1300 in cash. Spliff would have had a whopping 2400 income with 0 cash. Including credit and upgrade money to sell (half of what you paid to fully upgrade), you would have had a grand total lifeline of 3800, and I 5250. Spliff a smaller 2100 but with massive income to make up for it.

Given all of that, and theoretically speaking, the expected outcome in terms of ranking would have been first for spliff, second for me and third for you. It's perfectly plain that our incomes were roughly equal, but I have some serious doubt as to whether or not you actually had 1800 left over, because I believe it to have been less than that, and though I do get angry sometimes it's usually not totally blind rage because I hate hypocrites in that sense, and being wrong. =)

I guess it doesn't matter anymore now, though, because you won the game and it's in the past. I still hold my opinion that it was a bad trade, though. ^.^

Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:12 am
Bleu_Soul
Planetoid

And wow, I noticed a lot of mistakes in that post. T.T