Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion is there a virus on gM?
      All times are GMT  

Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 pm
trish97206
Moon

Post subject: is there a virus on gM? Reply with quote

I tried to download gm on a friend's computer and it says that mcafee has found some 5 potentially harmful risks. I've never had any problem, but maybe its something new?

Wed May 25, 2011 1:36 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopes, there isn't. Don't get me started on antiviruses - I start tearing my hair out! Essentially antivirus programs look for 'signatures' - patterns that could be present in potentially harmful programs. GM does things like connecting to remote hosts, sending and receiving data from remote hosts, reading files, etc. Therefore, the antiviruses flag GM.

Now, the writer of GM, Kreso, could cause a great deal of harm to your computer if he wanted to, by putting stuff in GM that really harmed your computer and stole your data. But no harm has come to the players of GM till date, and the version of GM hasn't change in a while, so you can safely assume that GM is 'safe', in spite of what the antiviruses day.

And then there is that fact that the antivirus companies benefit from an atmosphere of fear. More fear => more sales, even if their product is a load of crap. They go around finding fault with applications that are perfectly legitimate.

Wed May 25, 2011 4:24 pm
trace567

Trish you can read more about it here http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5383

Also yes the version did change recently, but the reason was simply because AVG was blocking the old one so Kreso created a new install to try and get around it.
Mcafee started flagging GM up some months ago on their site advisor. The reason it says 5 bad downloads is because at the time they last updated the server still had all the old versions of GM on it, kreso has now taken these down so there is only the current version to download, but mcafee hasn't yet rechecked to update, but even if they did they would still flag it as bad because as ranban says, antivirus companies are looking for anything their system flags as unknown thus classing as unsafe.

Whilst naturally I cannot 100% guarantee you that GM is safe, I can tell you that GM had been the exact same install file for years before they started calling it unsafe, we did NOT change, antivirus companies have! The only change made by kreso was in reaction to AVG 2011 blocking GM.

Kreso has assured me their is no virus etc, and I personally believe him and will continue to use GM for as long as GM is around. He believes that they may well be classing it as unsafe due to certain data the system requires to collect from users so that bans can be applied and other such things. He feels they class this as invasion of privacy thus flagging it as harmful.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:11 pm
ANGELOOFNZ
Asteroid

Post subject: bugged Reply with quote

I was playing earlier this evening.
I and the other members at the table started lagging and pre-disconnecting.
When I finished the game I had about 20 web pages flashing on my taskbar and a security alert? Exclamation

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 pm
CYN
Admin
Admin

i was just on and didnt notice any problems, it may have had something to do with your internet. Do you have protection? If not i suggest you look into it as many ads you click on can give you viruses and such

ITS ALL GOOD