Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Off Topic Chit Chat Bin Laden Dead… Or is he?
      All times are GMT  

Wed May 04, 2011 5:16 am
fingerbun
Planet

Post subject: Bin Laden Dead… Or is he? Reply with quote

I am not convinced he is really dead. Whenever something big like this happens you need to think who stands to benefit.

Obama is going down as one of the worst presidents in US history. He is going down as bankrupting a country. What could turn this around and how could he regain the American peoples support? Well, catching Bin Laden is a good start. Now he is a national hero and just in time for his election campaign for his second term.

His death will not change anything. At best, this is a psychological victory for the US citizens. I have my reserves to wether Bin Laden was even responsible for 9/11 anyway. Buts that’s for another time.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 pm
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I understand how this was good news for many american's, I feel it may simply open up a much bigger issue of which may be worse than him having never been killed. Regardless if he truly is dead or not, an eye for and eye and all that (nope I'm not religious), but there is sense in the logic.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:14 pm
theunknownamus

Obama can't take credit for killing Bin Ladin. He didn't execute the order, he was simply made aware of it while watching a (supposed) live feed of the firefight.

Regardless of who did it, IF Bin Ladin is dead, why has no photo (or better yet a video that can't be photo-shopped) been released? And a hasty burial at sea? That doesn't seem to be Pakistani tradition. If anything, it's the perfect excuse to keep troops over there in case of an "unexpected" retaliation. But then again, there will always be war until forever for many nefarious reasons as long as Al-Queda exists.

By the way, who's gonna be the new leader of Al-Queda?

Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 pm
Jinn
Planetoid

Post subject: Re: Bin Laden Dead… Or is he? Reply with quote

fingerbun wrote:
I am not convinced he is really dead. Whenever something big like this happens you need to think who stands to benefit.

Obama is going down as one of the worst presidents in US history. He is going down as bankrupting a country. What could turn this around and how could he regain the American peoples support? Well, catching Bin Laden is a good start. Now he is a national hero and just in time for his election campaign for his second term.

His death will not change anything. At best, this is a psychological victory for the US citizens. I have my reserves to wether Bin Laden was even responsible for 9/11 anyway. Buts that’s for another time.

James Buchanan was the worst president by any measure. He essentially handed Lincoln a nation ready to collapse.

Bush did kind of the same thing to Obama. You talk about bankrupting, Bush borrowed more money from foreign nations in the first six years of his presidency than all others before him. He then went on to sell us out to the banks.

Obama has made some mistakes but he is nowhere near Bush yet. And Bush was not anywhere close to Buchanan.

As for Bin Laden being dead I have no real doubt. If it was a political move you would think Obama would wait until October 2012.

Wed May 04, 2011 8:31 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

theunknownamus wrote:
Obama can't take credit for killing Bin Ladin. He didn't execute the order, he was simply made aware of it while watching a (supposed) live feed of the firefight.

Regardless of who did it, IF Bin Ladin is dead, why has no photo (or better yet a video that can't be photo-shopped) been released? And a hasty burial at sea? That doesn't seem to be Pakistani tradition. If anything, it's the perfect excuse to keep troops over there in case of an "unexpected" retaliation. But then again, there will always be war until forever for many nefarious reasons as long as Al-Queda exists.

By the way, who's gonna be the new leader of Al-Queda?

I don't like Obama, but he did execute the order. We talked about this in International Relations class today.

Also, the reason he was buried at sea was because no country would volunteer to hold his grave, partially because of who he was and partially because it would just become a shrine.

Osama's death should be a morale booster for soldiers who have been trying to get him for 10 years now, but I have two major concerns. One- he was living in a very wealthy house in Pakistan only a couple blocks from a military academy. The Pakistani government / high-up officials had to know who was living in one of the nicest houses in the country, but they did nothing. Al Queda is more fully in control over some governments than we thought.

Second, I am afraid of retaliation. There are already threats, and with the nature of Al Queda (a very fragmented organization made up of a bunch of small factions in different places), Osama was basically the one figurehead that held Al Queda together. This does not destroy them, but piss them off and lead them to rash retaliation.

Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 pm
fingerbun
Planet

Osama Bin Laden Dead the worlds most wanted man.

- In hiding for 10 years
- 2340 Soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- over 20,000 Afghanistan civilians killed
- 400 Billion spent

They find him at his house. And this is deemed to be a victory?

Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 pm
theunknownamus

My mistake on the order part Palabra. heheh

But yeah. From now on, I'm sleeping with a shotgun under my mattress. Wink

Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

theunknownamus wrote:
My mistake on the order part Palabra. heheh

But yeah. From now on, I'm sleeping with a shotgun under my mattress. Wink

haha good

Tue May 10, 2011 12:46 pm
meg
Planet

Maybe he died while still on dialysis and then the american troops shot him to make it look like they did something...

Tue May 10, 2011 1:55 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

The thing is that Al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations acknowledge that Bin Laden is dead. So unless it is a part of a large elaborate deception operation involving multiple countries and hundreds (if not thousands) of people, I think that we can safely assume that he is dead, and was indeed killed by the US forces.

What freaked me out about Bin Laden was that he was living within a hundred kilometres of my country's borders.

Also, children played cricket near his house and frequently hit balls into it! You know, kids do the same thing near my home! Chilling, to say the least.

Last edited by ranban282 on Tue May 10, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 pm
meg
Planet

But was he not living very close to a military compound? If so how could the government / military say they had no idea he was staying there?

Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

He was living around a kilometre away from Pakistan's Military Academy, Pakistan's equivalent of West Point. There is very little doubt in my mind as to whether he had any support from the government. In fact, the odds are that he may have been treated for his kidney problems at a military hospital.

However, it is possible, likely even, that the civilian leadership of the country may have not known about his whereabouts. The military and the military intelligence (ISI) are a law unto themselves, and are capable of anything.

Wed May 11, 2011 5:08 am
aussie
Ex Moderator

I believe Bin Laden is dead, however I doubt he was responsible for 9/11. I believe 9/11 was an inside job. There is no way a bunch of hacks could hijack 3 passenger jets and fly freely in air space controlled by the most powerful nation on the planet without being caught. As the USA points its finger at Pakistan, 3 are pointing back at them. They should be asking themselves the question ... who were the people who protected/helped the terrorists carry out the 9/11 attacks before accusing Pakistan of any cover-ups.

Wed May 11, 2011 6:04 am
fingerbun
Planet

Oh Aussie and Megan both back! Just shows that I attract all the stars.

And yes, I agree with Aussie. I don’t believe planes brought down the towers. There is something more to it. As for Bin Laden, he probably is dead. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was alive though; it also wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t even exist.

Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 am
ranban282
Ex Moderator

I can't help but feel exasperated when people suggest that 9/11 was an inside job. The Twin Towers, the plane that crashed into the Pentagon, and the fourth plane in which the passengers confronted the hijackers, and the phone calls those passengers made... In fact when all this happened, the US administration initially suggested that it was the handiwork of Saddam Hussein. It was only when presented with overwhelming evidence of Al-Qaeda's involvement that a multi national invasion of Afghanistan was planned.

Now, it is conceivable that the Bush administration had thought that invading Iraq would bring monetary benefits. That is a different story. But Afghanistan is an entirely different story. It is a godforsaken country - illiterate warlike people, nothing grows there - except marijuana, no natural resources to speak of, extreme heat and cold, the list goes on... Trust me, you would not want to invade that country and sacrifice the lives of thousands of young men and women unless there is a very good reason. The British gave up a hundred years ago (after sacrificing the lives of tens of thousands of Indians), the Russians got mired there for years before they decided to leave (They wanted an Arabian Sea port)... that country is a complete hell hole, and after all these years of aid from other countries, things have improved only marginally.