Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Illegal Openings
      All times are GMT  

Should disavantagous opening be punished?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:35 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Illegal Openings Reply with quote

Quote:
b) During auction, a player didn't bid the price up despite that being obviously disadvantageous for him. The auction is then won by another player for obviously too low price.

This long-debated rule, I believe, should finally be enforced. While there's not a log for bids by players, the game logs show what the property went for. So, if player1 with low cash but enough that they could have bid it up but didn't (for example) 1000 cash opens pink with the other 2 owned by player2 with 3000 cash, with players 3/4/5 having 500 or so money, and Player2 gets it for low, THEN IT SHOULD BE PUNISHED.

This is not to say exceptions BUT SMALL EXCEPTIONS should be made. Such as ONLY if they clicked wrong or if they are new and ignorant. But of course IF REPEATED THEY SHOULD BE PUNISHED REGARDLESS.

All other discussions and opnions are welcome.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:08 pm
HHHfan
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the rule says! Plain as day!

All I can say, if you think it is an advantage to give someone a third anything, much less green, for nothing and auction it off for them, you are one of two things: #1. A lying cheater who enjoys breaking the rules under the guise of legality, or #2. someone with zero common sense!

So the next question is, is having zero common sense illegal? I say, if it causes you to break the rules, then YES IT IS!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:25 pm
trace567

Post subject: Re: Illegal Openings Reply with quote

[quote="theunknownamus"]
Quote:
the game logs show what the property went for.

Incorrect!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:11 pm
sim5
Planet

there cant be a rule that a person should be punished for opening a property & not bidding

because there can be stage in game where player open others property not only to get 20% but also to make sure other players who have cash in hand will bid to protect their position & may end up spending valuable cash on that property which may prove to be costly for them at the end
by making such a move he can improve his own chances

so this can be called a strategic move which is fair

on the other hand if some1 keeps opening others property without any reason but just to ruin game then he can be penalized

No expectations, no disappointments.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:24 pm
Nilo911
Moon

There are cases when one should let player1 buy his last property at base price. I believe that if player1 has a low chance to upgrade his props or if the cash of player2 are valuable for him he should not bid up player1's last prop.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm
HHHfan
Moon

sim5 wrote:
there cant be a rule that a person should be punished for opening a property & not bidding

because there can be stage in game where player open others property not only to get 20% but also to make sure other players who have cash in hand will bid to protect their position & may end up spending valuable cash on that property which may prove to be costly for them at the end
by making such a move he can improve his own chances

so this can be called a strategic move which is fair

on the other hand if some1 keeps opening others property without any reason but just to ruin game then he can be penalized
Right, but, common sense says that if you open someone elses third property, it is not in my interest to bid it up to make you cash, so, it is in your interest, and your interest alone, to bid it up, if you do not, by rule, you have cheated, plain and simple!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:14 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Re: Illegal Openings Reply with quote

[quote="trace567"]
theunknownamus wrote:
Quote:
the game logs show what the property went for.

Incorrect!

If I'm not mistaken, on the GAME tab, it can say "Extractor sold to SOMEGUY for 1200". Unless the game logs for mods and players are different I don't see the problem. I don't know how to take a screenshot of the game, so if someone (possibly Yahoo) could show one, it would be most beneficial to this case.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:50 pm
CYN
Admin
Admin

it is not cheat to open a property and just want to make it clear, this is a discussion forum section and sim is no longer a mod , just want you to keep in mind that whatever he says is correct or incorrect as with anyone posting is 'their opinion" . I just dont want someone saying how it is in this section then a ruling be different and them refer back to this section if that makes any sense. HHHfan you dont even play anymore so it would be appreciated if you keep your comments to yourself as you think everything is wrong here.
Players are free to discuss whatever they wish in this section but nothing posted here should be considered as fact or a rule or new rule.

ITS ALL GOOD

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 pm
HHHfan
Moon

High and mighty, typical. I have played this game off and on for over three years now, and you want to talk about how my credibility is in the toilet because I'm in school at the moment, and don't have hours on end to devote to games!

Let's get to the real issue here. You would like my opinions kept to myself, because I'm right, and you know it. You guys, however, can get the majority of the sheep to go along with your selective enforcement of rules, and try to say they don't exist!

What you hate, more than anything in my opinion, is logic and common sense, and since that is what I represent, you would just as soon silence me, and try to make me feel small, but, as far as I'm concerned, I have logged more than my share of hours on this game, plenty to voice an opinion, or in this case, a fact!

The real issue is, there is no way to deny, there is no advantage in auctioning off someone elses third property and letting it go for cheap, any more than if you sold someone a cheap third property to build an upgrade.

The rule says, if during an auction you don't bid it up, in spite of it being an obvious disadvantage, it is cheating! If, you put up someones third property, and don't bid it up, it is just as bad a disadvantage as making a cheap trade, and by rule, is a cheat, please learn to read before you jump my case!!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 pm
CYN
Admin
Admin

I disagree with you but it is a waste of time to debate with you because you have always thought your way is right and the other is wrong. so i will just let you state what you want and choose to ignore it.

ITS ALL GOOD

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 am
HHHfan
Moon

Yes, we can finally agree on something. I have always felt that the rules as written and posted many times, are right, and you, are wrong!

You say you choose to ignore plain facts, so whose credibility is in the toilet now? If I were the only one who could read, this thread would likely not exist, but it is obvious to anyone with a fifth grade reading level what the rules say, just because it is not against the rules to auction off a property, doesn't mean it is not against the rules not to bid it up to a fair price for said property, SO SAY THE RULES, NOT ME GENIUS! I mean, you refer to my thinking being "my way" but, I'm just reading the rules provided, so "my way" in this case, is the right way, and everyone knows it, only some of you have partners and do this cheap tactic, and want to keep it that way, in spite of the rules! You could just admit it, anyone with an I.Q. over 15 already knows it anyhow!

I need to get to work on a project I should be doing, so I'll let this go!

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:05 am
CYN
Admin
Admin

Rolls eyes and realizes he isnt capable of figuring out the true meaning of advantageous and disadvantageous. Its a complicated strategy that just may be above some.

ITS ALL GOOD

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:21 am
HHHfan
Moon

Really? Honestly, I would have let this go, but to say something so blatantly ill-informed, sigh. From the Websters dictionary, since I know some think I'm too stupid to actually know this:

ad·van·ta·geous \"ad-"van-'tā-jəs, -vən-\ adj (1593) : giving an advantage : favorable ‹an ~ opportunity›
— ad·van·ta·geous·ly adv
— ad·van·ta·geous·ness n

dis·ad·van·ta·geous \(")dis-"ad-"van-'tā-jəs, -vən-\ adj (1603)
1 : constituting a disadvantage
2 : derogatory disparaging
— dis·ad·van·ta·geous·ly adv
— dis·ad·van·ta·geous·ness n

And, I'll do you two better:

team·work \'tēm-"wərk\ n (ca. 1828) : work done by several associates with each doing a part but all subordinating personal prominence to the efficiency of the whole

1cheat \'chēt\ vt [2cheat] (1590)
1 : to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud
2 : to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
3 : to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting ‹~ death›
vi
1 a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly ‹~ at cards› ‹~ing on a test›

Look closely at the last definition of cheat, "to violate rules dishonestly"! So, no matter how far over the head of a guy who owns two CHESS VARIANTS this "strategy" is, if your "strategy" violates the rules, which in this case it does, it is cheating!

Point proven to anyone with any common sense and any degree of reading ability, who is honest!

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:29 am
CYN
Admin
Admin

Last i am going to say on this because as i said it is a waste of time.
If you are doing well in a game of multiple players but others have properties and low money it MAY be advantageous (not disadvantageous) to you if you open someones third property that can build as to lesson the other players money when they land on him therefore having to mortgage their builds IF they even have any if not it will put them out sooner probably increasing your position To be so closed minded to say it is ALWAYS disadvantageous to open someones third property isnt looking at all the variables. Nothing is guaranteed in any case but to be closed minded and saying you should NEVER open someones third that it is ALWAYS disadvantageous is a gross misstatement.
THE END

ITS ALL GOOD

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:37 am
HHHfan
Moon

Right, and it's your position that it's NEVER a disadvantage!

If one puts it up, and bids it up to a reasonable price, then, by rule, it is not a cheat. IF, you put it up and DON'T bid it up to a reasonable price, BY RULE, it's cheating. I never once said it was NEVER an advantage to open a bid, but to not bid it to a reasonable amount, according to the rules, IS CHEATING. There can be no disputing that, what the rules say, is what the rules say. It is you who is closed minded, and blinded to black and white rules!

You have your definitions, I provided them for you, you have your rules, kreso provided those, put two and two together for crying out loud!