Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Who would be interested in a GM quiz?
      All times are GMT  

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 pm
trace567

Post subject: Who would be interested in a GM quiz? Reply with quote

Some weeks back I started working on a idea to hold a GM quiz based on 50% GM related questions, and 50% general knowledge (not GM questions).

My idea was to run it along the same lines as a tournament, so each player would pay an entry fee and the points for 1st, 2nd and 3rd would be made up from all entry fee's.

The plan was to try something completely different that might appeal to players who normally stay away from tournaments. As it wouldn't be based on skill in the game, but knowledge of the game.

All GM questions would be based on info everyone could of found either on the website or the actual game interface. And all non GM questions would be possible to find answers via the web.

I am planning to get back to work on the idea (unfortunately got delayed by things away from GM).

I would need one other moderator (who could not take part) but would help with point counting of correct answers etc.

So...just to get a rough idea if this is a good idea, how many would be interested?

I would plan to keep entry no higher than 5k, quite possibly lower (if enough players are interested) to encourage players of all skill levels to take part.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:44 pm
judd
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

test me, test me

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

ill either enter the quiz as i should know all gm based questions, and the test could just prove how little ive observed in my time here,
OR
ill help moderate which i think would be fairer as i have been here for 5yrs and so i would be classed as at an advantage .

keep me informed and i will try get on the night/day of the quiz, just a pity at the moment im skipping around different connections so at the moment i have no definitive time of being here.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:52 pm
aleqqqs
Planetoid

Hmmm, generally i like the idea.

Altough i'd modify it as following:

- GM-related questions only. No general knowledge questions, i think a GM quiz should contain GM questions only.
Well, maybe some general knowledge as "Hydroponics Bay is the capital of which country?" Razz

- No time to search for the answers. The questions have to be answered instantly. I think the best way would be to do it in the GM lobby (or another channel).
If there is time to look for answers on the internet or ingame, its not a quiz, its homework Razz

I also give some suggestions what the questions could look like:

- How many propertys (fields, or places to land on) are there?

- Describe the pay table of the white extractors!
90, 70, 130, 150

- How much credit gives each green property?
200 (i guess)

- Why the hell am i always double hitting yellow?
Razz

- What restrictions are there for finding opponents you can play against?
(the 5x points rule)

- What color has the property "hydroponics bay"?
orange (i think)

- If you hit fortune, is there sometimes an opportunity to go to cyborg theatre?
no (i think. there are only some picked out propertys you can go to)

- How much is the salary right after recession?
minus 50

- What kinds of possible "cash income" are there in a game? (For every correct answer 1 point)
... income from someone landing on your upgraded property
... income from someone landing on your black utility
... income from you or someone else landing on your white extractor
... income from passing start
... income from you or someone else landing on bonus
... income from getting cash on fortune
... income from someone else hitting fortune which says "everybody gets 250 except you"
... income from the additional cash when another player leaves the game
... income from trading
... income from auctioning one's own propertys
... income from opening a property and letting someone else buy

- What percentage of a property's final auction price does the initial bidder get?
20%

- If asked to "go to... (any property) on fortune, what possible reasons are there to do it?
... coming closer to start (or even passing it) in order to get salary earlier (or even instantly)
... avoiding the possibility to land on an opponent's upgraded property
... avoiding to supply an opponent (who is close to bust) with cash (like someone struggling to upgrade green)
... to generate cash when asked if to go to a white extractor
... to land a property you were trying to hit
... to land on bonus in order to get cash
... to land on meteor shower in order to reduce salary
... to land on a property from which there is a good probability to land on a certain property when rolling next turn.
... (any else? if yes, an additional point for the answer)

- if you are on start and you roll 5, where will you land?
on the first white extractor

- what is, statistically, the number rolled most often?
7 (on GM, of course, 2) Razz

- out of how many icons can you choose when having joined a game (if you are the first player to choose)?
12 (maybe?)

- how much is the price for landing on green when it's upgraded 4 times?

- how much credit do you have when owning 3 dark blues plus 2 blacks?

- in a 2p game, do you lose more points when quitting a game instead of playing and busting?
no

- you are low win cash and try to auction one (or more) of your propertys, but the game won't let you. for what reasons could that be?
... you have too less cash and couldn't afford to pay 20%
... you have too less game time left
... you have no property at all
... you are playing a 2p game or there are only 2 players, including you, left (is that true?)
... the property is still upgraded (is that true?)
... (any more reasons)

- if you have a disconnect during a game caused by your side, like restarting the modem, can you reconnect and continue your game?
hell, no, damn it, but it should work!

- when hitting fortune, is there an event "pay 150?"
no (i guess)

when hitting fortune, is there an event "pay 200"?
yes

- for what reasons can you go to prison?
... for just landing on it
... for for rolling doubles 3 times in a row
... for landing on fortune and being sent to prison
... for selling drugs (oh, some general knowledge question, better delete that one Razz)

- if you are a victim of a cheat trade, is there any chance to get compensated for your point loss?
no (unless you consider it a compensation when getting the other player pusished)

- what happens if you try to login 3 times in a row with a wrong password?
uhm, nothing, i guess?

hmm, well, thats almost an entire quiz Razz
i'd say these are easy to medium questions, they might be too easy for the participants, since most participants will be well-known players. new players probably dont know about this quiz happening, not even that there is a forum.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:28 pm
trace567

As things stand I have 60 General knowledge questions made up, and 50 GM questions, I may add more or reduce the general knowledge ones.
As its not been tried before I don't know how long it would last, so i actually don't know how many questions to aim at.

The reason I wanted a mix was to stop it getting too boring or repetitive. I have a varied mix of very easy through to pretty hard questions, but the majority of answers will be very short. Would be first person to give correct answer gets a point and plenty of opportunity to guess as well.

Unfortunately every question will have to be typed out as we go, due to no copy paste. For this reason I am aiming at short question lengths. Reason all question answers will be somewhere online is so people can either go look, or check up on me lol. Of course if you don't know it will take longer to answer so your chances will be reduced.

I am currently in the checking all questions stage to be sure I have them right. Plus I need to get printer access so I have the final thing in front of me. Then its just choosing a date and time, plus the final set up.

Also by mixing general knowledge in means if it goes down well there can be a chance to do another at a later date, only I'd have to think up more questions. Only so many you can get out of GM hehe.

It'll either go well, or be a total disaster...I'm aiming for the first Very Happy

Judging by your suggestions Alex I think it will be right up your street.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:21 pm
Receive
Planetoid

aleqqqs wrote:

- how much credit do you have when owning 3 dark blues plus 2 blacks?

Not quite. I'm guessing that "owning 2 dark blues" is what you were going for.

EDIT3: Sorry , a friend doesen't know how to behave :O

Last edited by Receive on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:19 pm; edited 3 times in total

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 pm
Yiles
Moon

The GM questions I will FAIL

The general knowledge questions I will PASS

Anything to do with music, movies, or kung fu I will get an A+

YAY

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:25 am
Jinn
Planetoid

I think this is a great idea!

I would like to see it in game rather than on the forum where people can look for the answer.

A VBS script bot could easily do this and keep track of score.

However it is done I would definitely like to participate.

Also:

Unfortunately every question will have to be typed out as we go, due to no copy paste

Do alt commands work in game? I cannot check at the moment but alt - 022 is the command for paste.

Holding alt press 0 - 2 - 2 on the number pad then release alt, if you use a laptop you must use the function command and use the built in number pad unless you have one with a genuine number pad.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 pm
theunknownamus

This would be an excellent idea. I believe the general knowledge questions should have some relevance to GM like "Should you curse and swear as much as possible while playing?" or "Is it a good idea to cop out of the game very early?". I think multiple choice, true or false, plain answer, mathematical, and opnion/open-ended questions (which can be determined as best response by Mods) would be good to put in the mix. Therefore it would be possible to keep variety and interest.

There could be two (or more) types of quizzes, such as one where the most correct answers wins everything, or perffered one where each correct answer awards points based on difficulty.

Im not sure how this would be administered though. It would be easier in the lobby but I don't know how mods can make a specific isolated room for participants only. If that is possible than that would be great.

Unfournantely, like myself, bad or slow connections plague my computer as well as many others. I can only hope it won't fail me. Sad Confused Shocked