Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Suggestions Buy-Back in recession
      All times are GMT  

Sun May 24, 2009 1:29 pm
aleqqqs
Planetoid

Post subject: Buy-Back in recession Reply with quote

I think the possibility to buy oneself back to start in deep recession changes the "natural" game in a bad way.

Lets say you play a 3 player game.

Its medium recession, and the only significant property you have is green. You are low on cash and one opponent is medium on cash.
Then the 3rd opponent drops loses, and pink and red and some else properties are free again.

Your opponent is likely to auction every free late property he lands on in order not to risk hitting green, additionally avoiding to pass start and pay salary - which, combined, is a lot.

The only choice you have is wether to bid for the property you dont really want (and buy it) in order to prevent him from being set back, or to let him win, while youself travel a couple of rounds with no income.

I've played many games where the option to "buy back" turned some games upside-down, and, of course, i also do that "buy back auctions" if i benefit.

Ayway, i dont like it and it shouldnt be profitable to do buy back in order to save cash.

Two suggestions how to fix that:

1)
If you buy a property in recession, you are not set back to start.

2)
If you buy a property in recession, you are set back to start, but you pay proportionate to the distance to start.
The game has 36 "fields/propertys". Lets say you auction Nr. 19 (the last light cyan). You'd pay 19/36 of the current salary (plus the price of the property, of course).

That way, you cant aviod paying salary at all (besides hitting jail).

I think it would make the late game a lot more fair.

Sun May 24, 2009 7:00 pm
Yiles
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a lot to learn

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”