Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Announcements, Maintenance and Tournaments 5p League
      All times are GMT  

Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:09 pm
MrCrabbs

Post subject: 5p League Reply with quote

Inspired by Magflag's idea of a 2p ladder, I decided to experiment with a similar league for 5 player games.

Imagine a league where everyone in the league had to play a 5p with every possible combination of other players in the league.

To illustrate, imagine a 6-person league. If all the possible 5p games involving those 6 people were played, there would be 6 games. In each of the games, one of the players would not be playing, and once all 6 games were played, everyone would have played every combination of everyone else.

I think I have worked out that:

A league of 5 players would take 1 game (obviously)
A league of 6 players would take 6 games
A league of 7 players would take 21 games
A league of 8 players would take 56 games
A league of 9 people would take a whopping 126 games

To start with I will try a 6 player league.

I will volunteer to run the league which is for accounts between about 30,000 and 40,000 points (see below for other leagues). The fee for that league is 15,000 points each. At the end of the 6 games, points go according to where players finish in the league:

Top of league: 40,000 points
2nd place: 27,000 points
3rd place: 16,000 points
4th place: 7000 points
5th place: No points
6th place: No points
Total: 90,000 points (points in = points out)

Depending on where a player finishes in any given game, they would get the following number of league points for that game:

5th place - 0 points
4th place - 2 points
3rd place - 5 points
2nd place - 9 points
1st place - 14 points

So after the first match the table might look like this:
Name.....Points......Games Played
Player A....14..................1
Player B.....9...................1
Player C.....5...................1
Player D.....2...................1
Player E......0..................1
Player F......0...................0

And at the end of the six games, the table should look something like this:

Name.....Points......Games Played
Player A....52...................5
Player B....45...................5
Player C....43...................5
Player D....20...................5
Player E.....13...................5
Player F.......7...................5

Player A wins the league, and gets 40,000 points, player B comes 2nd and gets 27,000 points, etc.

So, we need 6 players, who have accounts between about 30,000 and 40,000 approximately, and who like 5p games. Games will be unrated, and a schedule will be produced when the 6 players have been chosen. The schedule will be built according to when players are available, so post with when you would like the games to be played, for example Saturday, 4pm GMT, and the 6 players can work something out.

Post your entries here. I enter with MrCrabbs on 35,757 points.

Remember, it is a 6-person league, using 5p games. You will be playing in 5 of the 6 games.

Last edited by MrCrabbs on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 pm
MrCrabbs

Post subject: Reply with quote

If players who have accounts in other points ranges like this idea, we can have other leagues for those points ranges.

So a 6 person league for players with between 10,000 and 20,000 points can have a 5000 point fee and prize monies which are one third those in the league I describe above.

Players with between 20,000 and 30,000 have a league with a fee of 10,000, and prizes which are two thirds of those in the above post, since 10,000 is two thirds of 15,000.

Players with between 40,000 and 50,000 points have a 20,000 point fee, and prizes are one third greater than those posted above, etc.

For each points range, an organiser will be needed, so feel free to volunteer. Bill will have to OK you as organiser for that points range, and you can talk to me to be sure you know how to run your league.

This should provide a chance for new players to get involved in improving GM. But I would love for mods to volunteer to organise a league too. And if you don't want to organise a league, just post that you want to play!

The usual game rules will apply:

-Cheat trading is just as in a normal game, and foul language in a game may result in penalisation of your league position in addition to the usual ban. For full game rules see: http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80.