Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Entertainment Discussions Top 6 Favorite Movies of all time
      All times are GMT  

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:14 am
Magflag12
Moon

Post subject: Top 6 Favorite Movies of all time Reply with quote

My top 6 are more modern movies, (1990s and up) but I do have a top 25 list that has movies from many decades.

They are,

6. Good Will Hunting
5. Pulp Fiction
4. Saving Private Ryan
3. Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
2. Mystic River
1. The Departed
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:02 am
Yiles
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do just 6 in movies, too many

10. Rear Window- "I wonder what's buried in the garden?"

9. Platoon- "Rejoice O young man in thy youth..." - Ecclesiastes

8. Alien- "What do you mean, '*They* cut the power'? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!"

7. Gladiator- "What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."

6. A Clockwork Orange- "As we walked along the flatblock marina, I was calm on the outside, but thinking all the time - Now it was to be Georgie the general, saying what we should do and what not to do, and Dim as his mindless greeding bulldog. But suddenly, I viddied that thinking was for the gloopy ones, and that the oomny ones use like, inspiration and what Bog sends. Now it was lovely music that came into my aid. There was a window open with the stereo on, and I viddied right at once what to do..."

5. Apocalypse Now- "I love the smell of napalm in the morning..."

4. The Road Warrior- "My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember The Road Warrior. The man we called "Max". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time. When the world was powered by the black fuel. And the desert sprouted great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing. They built a house of straw. The thundering machines sputtered and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men. On the roads it was a white line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men were battered and smashed. Men like Max. The warrior Max. In the roar of an engine, he lost everything. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again..."

3. Full Metal Jacket- "Bullshit. It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your mama's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress."

2. Godfather II- "There are many things my father taught me here in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

1. The Outlaw Josey Wales-"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."

Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 am
Magflag12
Moon

Nice list there... I think i see your style. I like it.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:20 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

i have seen just about all of the movies mentioned thus far, and i agree

they are great

however. i cannot come up with a list of my own. i have seen too many hundreds of them to compile a top list.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

Matrix Trilogy PLUS animatrix is by far one of the best , sci-fi films which created a new way of directing films and filming action scenes.

Star wars FULL BOX SET is awesome, if ever you are bored , watch them all from start to finish one straight after another.

Blade Trilogy - awesome action film with good characters/acting and screenplay

Full metal Jacket - just awesome

We were soldiers - mel gibson is amazing in this film

Behind enemy lines - owen wilson's major breakthrough into the filmlight

Black Hawk Down - One of my favourite films to watch in digital true 5.1 surround sound.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm
Yiles
Moon

I loved the first Matrix, was ambivalent about the second one, and walked out of the theater on the third.

I agree though that the first one had a great script, and for me the special effects were secondary but good. I think they went for the money grab though, as the subsequent films got worse.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:40 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

I love all of the Matrix movies even though the plot went a bit down the drain after the first one.

The special effects are extremely innovative, and especially after watching some extra footage on the DVDs, I have a great appreciation for the camera-work and foresight in an ability to capture things never before seen in movies.

And I have been thinking about it more now.

Among my favorite movies, in no particular order:
Good Will Hunting
The Recruit (not one of the best movies, but i like it for some reason)
Matrix Trilogy
The Departed
Dan in Real Life (completely different vibe)
Gladiator
Remember the Titans
Boondock Saints
Braveheart
Mr. Brooks

Movies that make you think are the best, especially when they have really good action or suspense. Also, if a movie can genuinely make me laugh uncontrollably, then it hits my favorites. I find a lot of humor rather stupid. If a movie can be genuinely funny and action-packed / suspenseful / awesome, then it makes it as well. I cannot remember all the movies at the moment, but I will edit when I am more awake with some others.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 pm
MrCrabbs

Hmmm.

Godfather parts I and II (this counts as one).
Watership Down
Pulp Fiction
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Seven Samurai
Southpark: The Movie

Movies that narrowly missed the top 6:
-Matrix part 1 (but only part 1 - I consider parts 2 and 3 the afterbirth, to be written out of history)
-Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - the dialogue is Pulp Fiction-esque. But don't watch any other movies by Guy Richie - he died soon after making Lock Stock and was replaced on Earth by a particularly untalented alien.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm
Magflag12
Moon

I must say you people like your violence it seems.

I hate the Matrix... hate... passionately...

Star Wars yes I will knock wood to that.

Crabbs... Southpark? LOL! Funny movie, its just so inconsistent to the rest of your list.

Watership Down was excellent for an adapted screen play, would have to say that the book was 90X better.

Last edited by Magflag12 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 pm
Yiles
Moon

Never saw the Seven Samurai, although The Magnificent Seven is a fav.

I don't know about you though Crabbs... SouthPark?!

LOL

I've never been a fan of that show.

And about "Lock, Stock"... I think I saw part of that, can't remember but I absolutely LOVED "Snatch".

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 pm
MrCrabbs

Snatch is OK, and more friendly to an American audience. But it made me wish I was watching Lock Stock.

Yeah, South Park: The Move is in my view the greatest film musical of all time.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 am
Yiles
Moon

MrCrabbs wrote:

I think the Wizard of Oz would have something to say about that

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 pm
Magflag12
Moon

Quote:

I think that A Wonderful Life or One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest would have something to say to both of you guys.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:32 pm
Yiles
Moon

Magflag12 wrote:
Quote:

I think that A Wonderful Life or One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest would have something to say to both of you guys.

Really, I had no idea that It's A Wonderful Life or One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest were MOVIE MUSICALS.

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:57 pm
Magflag12
Moon

oops lol... missed that tidbit.