Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Suggestions Threads locked/moved
      All times are GMT  

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:10 am
MrCrabbs

Post subject: Threads locked/moved Reply with quote

Recently, as Judd and I have been waging our little war, Judd has attacked me in threads that were otherwise good threads, and I have responded and made the situation worse.

I would like to suggest that rather than locking and/or moving such threads to the mods area, they be cleaned of argumentative material and spam (except where the argument is an integral part of the thread), and placed back in the main forum where they are accessible to everyone.

This is important in that it prevents players who would like to ruin the forum from doing so - their bitter rants are simply removed, and the forum can carry on as usual. Right now, the policy of "lock it and hide it" does too much collateral damage to innocent parties and productive members of the community.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:09 pm
MrCrabbs

Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I am suggesting that we switch from a policy of hiding threads in which arguments ensue, to a policy of trimming such threads of spam. This protects the forum from those who would like to ruin it, and in the past there have been many such people.

Please discuss - especially the mods.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:56 pm
trace567

I personally am not keen on deletion, reason being once its deleted its gone for good. In that instance I would prefer moving out of sight, yet not gone forever.

If a thread has one post, its simple. It's when a thread gets caught up into unpleasant stuff that the problem occurs.

Having not tried it, I do not know if its possible to move some posts from one thread away, and keeping the rest. Yet not deleting.

Just so people know I have only deleted 1 spam post. Moved 1 spam post and moved one offensive post since I've been a moderator.

However since you were actually responsible in part for the posting of content needing action crabbs, you can learn from this not to get involved in arguments. If people don't post offensive content requiring mod intervention, then the problem won't arise. Keeping everyone happy.

Can I also remind forum members they have the ability to delete their own posts, if after the fact you think maybe you should not have posted it. It's then your personal choice to deleted your own content.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:43 pm
MrCrabbs

I do take the point about moving meaning a post hasn't disappeared entirely, and agree that if mods could move part-threads that would be better than either deletion or moving the whole threads.

But I do not agree that moving an entire thread, which contains some useful stuff and some spam, is a good solution. This is mainly because once something has been stored in the vault of mods-eyes-only material, it rarely if ever sees the light of day again, and so is effectively deleted for 99% of GM players.

I do use the delete and edit functions on my own posts to improve them and take out heat-of-the-moment content. But if you are arguing with someone, then while you may agree that both your posts AND those of the other person should be removed, you are unlikely to unilaterally remove your side of an argument. Deleting or moving both sides of an argument that has turned sour thus has to be done by the mods. Self-censoring using the delete function is for when you have said something incorrect or over the top, but does not solve two-sided arguments.

About me being part of a recent argument, it is no secret that arguments can and frequently do burst out in forum, so my argument with Judd is certainly not the first nor, unless Jesus descends to guide us all in better forum manner, will it be the last. That is why I want this discussion of how such occurrences should be dealt with. Thank you for joining the discussion Trace. Hopefully more mods and players will give their thoughts too.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:08 pm
MrCrabbs

One more thought. Bill said he has taken forum editing privileges away from mods, to prevent a recurrence of the deletion fiascos of the past.

I think now would be a good time for Bill to give the forum mod powers to one other mod, whose sole job would be to keep the forum clean and fun. If he or she were deleting or moving posts inappropriately it would soon become clear, and someone else could be given the job. The problem before was that multiple mods had this power, so noone knew who was doing deletions.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:10 pm
trace567

When I get time later to sit down and properly look at what options there are, I will see if it may be possible to not delete anything, but move the rest of the thread back.

Honestly do not know if it is even possible, but when I have time to look at it later I'll have a go. I'd rather not delete anything if possible. But I'll see what can and can't be done tonight.

And yes, there have been various arguments in the past and will no doubt happen in the furture at times.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:26 pm
MrCrabbs

Thank you for that Trace. It's not something that needs doing tonight, but to know that it will be looked into is great.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:37 pm
trace567

I think I was successful, but its now in complaints section twice. I tried lol. The posts connected to the argument are not deleted, just no longer showing on the thread.

Hope this helps.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:01 am
MrCrabbs

Thank you, what is the thread title of the thread you experimented on?