Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Worst Luck Ever?
      All times are GMT  

How much does luck play into GM?
0-20%
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
20-40%
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
40-60%
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
60-80%
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
80-100%
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Worst Luck Ever? Reply with quote

This is a thread for people to tell the story of the worst luck they ever had in a game of GM. I just played a game that I think vies for that spot.

It was a 2p game, and I started off pretty well. I ended up getting 2 greens when the economy was at +200. I had oranges fully upgraded, and at +150, yellows fully upgraded, while my opponent had 3 whites, 3 blacks, and was slowly upgrading dark blues. I waited the entire game to hit the green, but I never did. My opponent hit it 4 times during this span, but I missed it every time. Finally at -550, I quit when I was forced to sell my upgrades and die.

I'm sure others have some pretty crazy stories of being in a prime, obvious place to win, and having luck take that all away. I personally believe that skill is by far more important than luck, but sometimes luck can kick your butt.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:21 am
judd
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post,

Like most things in life, you make your own luck.

I'd say luck accounts for circa 25% of game wins.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:38 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

ive said 20-40% as i do believe when the luck isnt going your way, it is possible to break the trend of luck by buying a property this usually tells the game your not going for the thing you need, and so then increases your chance of landing on what you need.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:04 pm
bezma2

Luck is about 16.5 % in game . Luck in first moments in game when you decide to play with whites or not ....and luck in the end of the game when you avoid to land on oponent properis . Iam talking about 2pl game . And thats all . The rest is pure skill .

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm
Eclectico
Planetoid

at the lower levels (100-10k) i believe it's marginal. the better player will capatilize on his oponent's mistakes. maybee 20% luck.

at the middle levels (10k - 50k) i think it's more likely your opponent wont' make big mistakes. luck is more important... maybee 30%.

at the higher levels (60k +) most people know how to play well. they may not make huge mistakes (unless they are drunk - gees who could that be, ahemm), but there are still minor inaccuracies to expolit. maybee 40% luck

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:42 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

Bill, has that worked for you on a consistent basis? I may start using that strategy if I am having a run of bad luck.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:16 am
Magflag12
Moon

I believe it is dependant on several variables. If you are playing a noob and beat him you beat him based on 99.9% skill. But if you play a person that is equal to you in skill you beat him 30% based on luck and 70% on less mistakes in particular game. Most of the time i'd say
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:10 am
fingerbun
Planet

I agree with electro. The higher the level you play, the more the game is based on a coin flip.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:29 am
YAAAHOOOO3

bezma2 wrote:
....and luck in the end of the game when you avoid to land on oponent properis

This end of games is not luck... when will everyone realize this the game luck changes when your ahead so it does not drag on for eternity

when someone is winning and the point where the opponent has no chance of winning the opponents standard probability rolls no longer exist

if anyone does not believe this watch the next time your loosing or winning big you'll notice you more frequently skip on landing on the opponents properties or if your loosing it becomes obvious your landing on their properties more to get the game over

this is why regular Monoply games take forever and GM monoply games thank god only last up to ~45 minutes on average or if you play like me and try to have all the properties bought as soon as possible including getting your opponent to buy them then the recession comes quicker n the games thankfully only last about 25-40 minutes

late