Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion How many would be a part of this idea if it were enacted?
      All times are GMT  

Would you participate in an Open Ladder?
Heck yes!
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Sounds mentally retarded
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What the?
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:38 pm
Magflag12
Moon

Post subject: How many would be a part of this idea if it were enacted? Reply with quote

Ok, this is not very complicated, BUT it does require you to take some look at some things. I want to say first of all, that I am happy to be a part of the team and I really hope that we can discuss some more "liberal" ideas about how this place can change. I dont mean liberal as in radical, or ridiculous I mean liberal as in change in general. I have an idea that will add some life and all in all wouldn't take too much maintenance. Its a concept called Open Ladders. It is purely competition based and depends on actual players to schedule the matches. What this consists of, essentially, is a group of players that sign up for an open ladder. Initially you rank these players in the order that they sign up. So say for example there are 4 people who are in this ladder (normally ladders are bigger), but just for simplicity sake lets say this is the order we sign up.

1. Judd
2. Bill2k06
3. Trace567
4. Welstrum

Ok right now Judd is in first place, BUT, Bill2k06 decides to challenge Judd for the NUMBER ONE RUNG Spot. So to do that he posts something on thread declaring his challenge, setting up a time and a date that both parties can meet and play. So they decide to play 3 days from now at 12 pm. They play Bill whens, Judd consequently moves down to LAST. The reason Judd moves down to last is because his record is now the worst in the ladder. He is 0-1 while bill is 1-0. Now people challenge each other and the records change weekly or maybe even daily at times. People lose and win. Now, whoever is in 4th place cannot challenge for number one spot, usually they say you can only challenge someone who is one rung above you OR has the same or below you in record. So technically, if Bill2k06 is in first for some miraculous reason with a record of 3-3 and Judd is in 3rd with a record of 3-3 he can challenge bill. People are ranked by their record, or if a lower ranked person challenges a rung spot and beats their opponent.

Oh and how we determine (by we I mean people running the ladder and updating it) is by a process called "reporting" What happens is, the loser reports a loss or the winner reports a win for the match. When reported the ladder is updated accordingly.

It is essential that we provide incentive for people accepting challenges that are in high rungs, otherwise we will get a dead ladder. So we can say either that they MUST accept a challenge, or we can say that whoever holds certain ladder positions for so long through so many matches played in that rung and held, get rewarded. Something to that nature.

I believe that it would be simple to set up an open ladder for 1v1s and 2v2s, but setting up anything besides that would be too odd. I would all desire for you guys to take a look a couple of pages where this concept has been developed. This is called Online Gaming League and it is really the first online site to adopt this tournament style. Take a look at the ladder setup, some of the rules, and some general information.

Ladder Setup: http://www.worldogl.com/viewladder.php?compid=409

Rules: http://www.worldogl.com/rules.php

http://www.worldogl.com/faq.php

I am willing to, if it flies at all, to set this up and maintain it. I am emailing the staff of the OGL to see about a few operating procedures.

**This idea is being developed and if I found enough people would want to participate, it would not be run for a week or two as I need time to set up the complications.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:46 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh theres too many words
in these instructions

is there a cliff notes version?

wait nm im in if i can i just play w/o reading the instructions

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:58 pm
Magflag12
Moon

lol yahoo I understand that you don't like to read, so ill give you the short version.

Galactic Magnate Tournaments that are continually going on and organized by players in the tournament rather than the mods (relatively speaking).
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:11 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

yah ok except
weren't you just appointed as one of the new
generation moderators?

if so how were you appointed... threats? blackmail?

this does seem to be a dictatorship w/the head moderator/
with claims of directive from the game designer

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 pm
Magflag12
Moon

Actually I am older generation than about 90% of the people here. I started about 6 months after bill, ive been off and on and have known bill throughout.

Anyway, us new mods are trying to do 3 things

1: Freshen up the game to keep loyalists coming back for more
2: Encourage newer players to use the forums
3: Bring in more new players

As for this open ladder, I believe strongly that if enough support comes from it we will do the 1st TWO things on that list. As for the 3rd, this will have to come from more word-of-mouth and perhaps potentially google ads etc.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:20 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

i voted yes for it .

i do believe it ca be something that can be implemented and updated easly enough

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:20 pm
toonz
Ex Moderator

I said yes cus it reminds me of afro samurai!