Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Question to the community
      All times are GMT  

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:14 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Question to the community Reply with quote

Hi all.

i have put this topic here for all community to discuss and answer my question
i do NOT want any arguing, or anything other than constructive comments in here please.

now to my question.

ive been thinking long and hard about how to improve the forum,game etc and bring us all back together as a community.

but instead of me coming up with ideas that people dont like i want to hear your views on this,

Does anyone have any ideas, or plans that could get the community spirit back up, and turn this back into what was once an enjoyable friendly community and good place to come.

no answer is a wrong answer but only constructive comments please other comments will be deleted

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:06 am
MrCrabbs

Post subject: Reply with quote

- Regular enforcement of the rules, to reduce cheats and sick language.

- Better advertising. Kreso needs to do this as the game's creator and owner, or he should sell the game to someone willing to promote it. Advertising might not mean spending more money, but perhaps just a bit of extra time and thought, eg: Type Monopoly into Google, and GM doesn't come up near the top. It's actually quite difficult to find.

- New types of games, eg: team games

- A pop-up facility, that gives you a "Did you know..." about some feature of the game, eg: how to send PMs in-game, how to create/join new chat rooms, how interest is charged. All the stuff that is in the detailed instructions that new players often don't know. This will make new players stick around. The pop-up should be switch-off-able.

- A forward-looking approach. Yeah, it is awesome to have a group of players who you know and love, but people do move on, do leave the game, to pursue other things. Creative destruction - we need to be picking up:
a) More players than we lose
b) Specifically, more "good" and friendly players than we lose.

Um, that's what I can think of for now.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:53 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

Some type of forum event,,, what that would be I have no idea b/c Im not very creative. i like your idea bill of bringing the community back together though. maybe a tournament where everyone can enter?

Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:13 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

well i have changed the tournaments to every 2months at the moment because of lack of players

Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:48 am
fingerbun
Planet

Language filter in games and lobby's! This will solve 90% of the problem. Every poker site has it, and it works very well… so why cant we?

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:20 am
Fort
Planet

Introduce democratic elections of mods and decisions on important topic based on community discussions as this thread is going on. I hope this thread id not a one off exception to things to come when it comes to hearing out what community wants.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:18 am
MrCrabbs

I'm behind that. There has been an undeniably autocratic element in the modding in the past. Not always, not at all times and not by all mods, but it has been there. When there is a top-down culture among the mods, it means new mods pick up those habits.

Since we have recently got a bunch of new mods, now is the time for a culture change, and for any mods who think themselves our masters, rather than our servants, to step down.

Bill - I believe you have to think how you can change the nature of your job as head mod, so that you are not under so much pressure. You need to redesign the job so you can take holidays, delegate, and generally sit back and let the other mods, and the wider community, share the work. That's better for everyone than you having to work your socks off.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:35 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

all these suggestions are very feasible and i will look into tem all and ho i can use any at all to take the game forward.

as for the delegation of duties that is already underway.
this topic wont just be a one off at pr points.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:01 pm
trace567

I think the more players who become a part of the forum the better. Many new players do not realize the forum exists, or may find the forum daunting.

Perhaps some way of encouraging as many players to take part in this side of GM the better. As it is here that discussions take place, new ideas are raised and cheat trades, or abusive language are reported.
One day I would like to see a button on the lobby, like the website button, but for the forum.

Maybe even a thread for new, or even old players to introduce themselves (I know there's a thread for new players on the game). A lot of other forums on the net have a thread like that, where people just introduce themselves. (Just a thought)

Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:38 pm
DavidNobre
Ex Moderator

i guess it topic has been up before...but what a bout a new button on Lobby called ´´report and complains´´ where unregistred users can report things...it would be the first touch on forum for a future registration and for a new forum member.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:39 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

maybe with kreso beng absent the things that need to be added is the stuff the mods can change here instead of game updates

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 am
YAAAHOOOO3

how many hours per week do the moderators spend on this game? it sounds too much for not getting paid at something.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:31 am
MrCrabbs

Bill2k06 wrote:
maybe with kreso beng absent the things that need to be added is the stuff the mods can change here instead of game updates

I think it is time Kreso showed his face to be honest. It's getting ridiculous - "What can we do to improve the game, given that we are actually powerless to change anything!!!" - that's the question that has been asked on these forums a hundred times. A year or more ago when I started playing, Kreso was absent. He is still absent. Does he live in another galaxy?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:04 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

no he hs a new job which takes up a lot of his time, and does not find time to come here anymore,but i will bein touch with him in the next few days to see if there is a resolution to no updates i the last 15months or so

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:36 am
MrCrabbs

Do it man. As well as running the site for him and us, you have to represent us to him - this game should be a money spinner for him, and he's doing himself no favours neglecting it.