54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:22 pm
DragonBanker
Asteroid

Post subject: Utilitys vs Extractors Reply with quote

What do ya think witch is better ?
I think utilitys are better because they are making financial advantage quicker , but i want to know your opinions Smile

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:44 pm
mikefuson
Planetoid

Post subject: Reply with quote

extractors, you make money no matter who lands on them.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:19 pm
DragonBanker
Asteroid

yes but utility decrease your opponents money Smile

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm
fingerbun
Planet

Dont know why this is under "off topic". Anyway it all depends on how many players are in the game.

In a two player game there is no difference, in a multiplayer game I would prefer extractors.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 pm
trace567

4/5p I say utilities, as they are cheaper so more chance of getting all 4 without having to trade. Plus with more players lots of hits that take away their cash without any upgrade costs. But once the money starts coming in you need to get credit and another set going.

2p extractors. Did an experiment once with someone, 1 player bought extractors at base value, other utilities. We then just went round and round the board (took forever lol) but extractors won big time.

In 2p game if enough money either try for 3 extractors, and min of 3 blacks. Or all extractors and block utilities so other player only gets 2.

3p just judge by how high first extractor or utility goes to, or if you land on it to get the 20% off the auction price.

In any game it depends how high the auction goes, if someone's really keen to get extractors use it to your advantage.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:12 am
mikefuson
Planetoid

Play the player's as well. The whole point of this game is money. If you have an opponent that is willing to pay to much for either let them bid it up. Then let them have either one.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:14 am
judd
Planet

bluff your opponent into buying 2 of each as early as possible in a 2p then when they have no cash go for a decent high yield set Smile

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:31 am
tatoom
Planetoid

Extractors, is good everything 2, 3, 4, 5p. But utilities- is only good 4, 5p.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:36 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

i remember kreso once answering a topic exactly the same as this, his answer was plain,
the extractors are great towards the end of the game as you normally pay a high price for them so you ahev no money in the middle part of the game but then come back strong in the end as everyone lands on them earning you income when they are losing money going round the board in recession,
as where
the utility's ar good all through the game earning you great income all way through but then add the extra pressure of them taking money off your opponents after recession so then its a double bonus for yourself.

i think if you was to do a study on them both i think you will find the income's probably are not that far away over the course of 10 games for example.

on a personal note, over the 4 yrs i havebeen here now , i do believe that the extractors are better, especially when you have all 4 because it just seems you receive all the financial luck that comes with them , they seem to give you a better chance than if you have 3

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:56 pm
Magflag12
Moon

A few years ago I tried to do an experiment with tons of variables. Trying to determine what was best under extremely defined situations. I never finished it, but I still have the file somewhere and I will probably pick it up again someday.

As for the Extractor/Utilities... This is what I say.

2p... Extractors 60% of the time.
3p... Extractors 60% of the time.
4-5p... Utilities 50-60% of the time.

**I will show why Fingbang was right in his assumption that it makes no difference in 1v1, but why I say Extractors are better 60% of the time

In 2p, it really depends when you get them and how you get them. If you want utilities is best to get all 4, but try for the 3rd and 4th one at a low low price. You can do that by price gauging the extractors and other peices.

I think that what you have to remember is this, especially in a 2p since this is most common:

The percent chance of someone landing on your black is 10% in one role. (If you have all 4) IF they land on your black you get 150 pay... but they get 150 deduction. That is 300 dollars. The way I view it, ESPECIALLY in a 2p, is that Blacks and Properties essentially result in a 2-way profit. So, when one lands on them I view it as you getting a 300 dollar pay. Because ultimately, your goal is to elimate the other player's cash, while you maintain your own cash.

However, Whites (if you own all 4), have a 10 % chance of being landed on as well. But, you must count for both players. So in one turn, it is 10 % + 10% which equals 20 % per turn. V.S. 10 % per turn. (Turn = both players rolling).

If you calculate the value that way (assuming both properties are achieved in the same exact stage of the game) you will see that both come out evenly.

Extractors = 150 X .20 = 30 (This means each turn there is 30 dollars made for the person who owns the extractors)
Utilities = 300 X .10 = 30 (Same as above only for utilities)

Although, they appear equal in value, it is safe to assume that whites are auctioned off first. I am not sure of the reason why, but it usually is true (At least in my games). Therefore, one who buys the whites first has more time to make a profit. I have found that someone who buys all 4 whites gets them at least 25 turns before someone gets all 4 blacks.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:53 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

yes i definately remember that interesting topic you did mag and i cannot for the life of me find it anywhere i have spent an hour searching the forum to see where it is, as there was some interesting findings,

on another note, yeh its 4yrs and a bit now.

bloody long, but yeh im still only 24 (ageing well with the game)

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:44 am
YAAAHOOOO3

sounds logical except how do we know those odds are the same as galactic magnate odds... what happens with luck in GM does not always seem to work to standard probabilities

Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 am
Magflag12
Moon

lol that seems true. But if you test the calculations through games and games, rolls and rolls. As long as you have a lot of tests and such it usually evens out to those ABOUT those standards.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.