Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy GM strategy, tactics, & theory.
      All times are GMT  

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:57 pm
punkkus
Asteroid

Post subject: GM strategy, tactics, & theory. Reply with quote

Firstly, here are some rules that you may not be familiar with, but are significantly important to know.

*When you intiate an auction you will recieve a 20% discount & return to start w/o being effected by salery regardless of if you win the auction.
*You can sell your own property as a personal auction at the cost of a 20% fee to the bank (in a 3-5 player game).
*You have to pay a 20% interest fee if you pass start while in debt.
*When you land on bonus a -10 recession occurs as well.
*Auctioning nullifies doubles

<>Strategies
The 50%-50% strategy(2plyr) is when you buy everything equal to your opponent so that neither has a material advantage. If your opponent buys 2 util. and/or 2 extr. then you buy the other 2 so that they will all be set to 70. Do not let your opponent get any monopolies, and if you do then you must make sure you have 1 of equal or greater value. In this way, with all things being equal, you leave the entire game up to the roll of the dice. It becomes a luck game and should nullify any skill gap or rating difference between you & your opponent. In a 3-5plyr game you must make note of which properties will become available everytime a player resigns inorder to implement this strategy with the final opponent.

The Recess strategy(2-5plyr) is when you maximize your rolls around start before Economic Collapse & minimize them after Economic Collapse inorder to obtain the maximum amount of salry. I find that it's better to auction properties only when the 20% discount is larger than the amount you would receive by passing start since you will be returned to start w/o collecting any additonal money. This strategy also employs the theory that all properties have no absolute value, meaning all propertites' true Minimum Price varies with every roll as it can be effected by amount of players, bonus', fortunes, trades, etc.

The Commodity Strategy(2-5plyr) is when you set out to win by investing in a monopoly(s) or set. Buying low-end properties(i.e. yellow, orange, brown, light blue, & utilities) are better bought early on so that they will have enough time to pay off. The opposite can be true of the high-end properties (dark blue, red, purple, green, & extractors) since completing an actual set is more difficult.

Extractors
The Air extr. is the least desireable by default. You can be sent to the Carbon & Silicon extr. by landing on a Fortune, meaning they are good as a shortcut to get to start, avoiding opponets monoplies, getting extra profit, & eliminating the chances for your opponet to do the same to you! The Water Extr. is great in that you lose the least amount of spaces once you've returned to start. The relative max. upgrade price is 3, but while the additional 20 may not seem like much, the opportunity to snatch up a double-fold monopoply from your opponent is usually well worth it since extr. are the only set in which you can profit by landing on it as well. Meaning if you have 4 extr. then it's like having 8 fully upgraded properties to receive 150. The number increases the more players there are as do the chances they will be landed on. The extr. are great, second only to the green set.

Utilites
The util. are the inferior version of extr. as you can not gain profit from landing on them yourself. You can be sent to the Garbage Dezintegrators & Energy Channeling Center util. by landing on a Fortune making them most favorable as a shortcut to start, avoiding opponents monopolies, and impeding your opponent from doing the same to you. The Network Information util. is great in that you lose the least amount of spaces once you've returned to start.

<>Tactics
Dumping is when you auction a high-end property that you actually do not want, but try to dump it off on your opponent in hopes that they will bid and you'll recieve 20% profit. Dumping on a less desirable property is a good method for stationing your opponent on a poor set and leaving you free to get a better one.

Scalping is making sure your opponent pays more than you when purchasing an otherwise equal property. This way you gain a profit by saving/shaving a little off the top each time. Little things add up alot in the end!

Skimping is when you purchase properties(usually low-end) after Economic collapse as a way to avoid paying expenses & interest by passing start and opponents dangerous end-game monoplies. A good time to purchase property's after Economic Collapse is when by landing on the property you get a double, because by auctioning you will cancel out your double and no longer have to go twice as far or potentially further!

Personal auction(3-5plyr); When you're nearing Economic Collapse you can auction off 2 of your incomplete set when your opponents are of equal money and one of them has the 3rd. This can cause a bidding war & generate 80% of the revenue as pure profit for yourself. Plz note that personal auctions deduct 20 sec. of your time per auction.

Bluffing, as in most luck games, is a good tactic when auctioning inorder to dupe your opponent into overpaying for a property. For this reason it's better not to start a bid off with the 200 option. Though luck games are just that- luck. They say luck is a skill and the nature of probability is that no strategy is likely to win 100% everytime so don't beat yourself up if it takes a few times to get the hang of it. Good luck!

Highest Score: 11679
8-8-06

Last edited by punkkus on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:45 pm
punkkus
Asteroid

Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found any of this information useful? or found any methods superior to the ones mentioned?

Highest Score: 11679
8-8-06

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:04 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

as with a few of the tactics you have mentioned i do use, such as skimpin and scalping,
Personally i do play to win straight from the off, so i buy a monopoly early, which lately hasnt been helpful as ive been having shocking bad luck, with any colour i buy,
I am going to try a new strategy in just buying ALL whites and stop a player buying greens this way i will have a very strong earner and stop the other player from taking max money from me using the upgraded green,
also if used properly this strategy, you could sell the last green late on in the game for a high price, when you know the other player cannnot afford to up fully and still have time to make a profit due to EC

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:17 pm
sweet----
Moon

Post subject: no Reply with quote

err well nt being rude but this is very boring 2 sit here n read...

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:43 pm
DR_EVIL
Planetoid

this is great! ive used acouple of these strategies and they work but truth be told the absolute greatest strategy ive used is Mr. Green

ive played many games but there are times when this is the ONLY property or monopoly ive had and my opponent or opponents have everything else but i win the game with an average of 12000 in my pocket long after collapse has reached -500

if you like to win use many different strategies... but if you like to crush and humiliate your opponents there is only one way to go!
Mr. Green
comin for that #1 spot! =)

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:52 pm
boogaboo
Moon

DR_EVIL wrote:
if you like to win use many different strategies... but if you like to crush and humiliate your opponents there is only one way to go!Mr. Green

I'd like to win Twisted Evil

Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:22 am
jaord_b
Moon

Hey bill...

thanks for the info ill make sure to inflate the price on those xtractors when we next play lol... I'll keep an eye out for you in the lobby anyways good to see you back in the forum. its been awhile!!!

talking about the xtractor strategy... I sometimes use this tactic if I get the 1st xtractor cheap on auction that I land on the 2nd one I may pay up to 1300-1400... the 3rd xtractor becomes more difficult where other players start inflating the price with a 1600 limit maybe if it goes higher then I would pass and wait to hit the 4th xtractor with luck I would not pay more than 1500... this is my theory on the xtractor strategy maybe once in awhile I would use it

Now I use the bluff/inflate/outwit strategy in a 2 player game I don't really go into a game with a game plan on properties I normally sit back in a couple rounds sizing my apponent bluffing on properties inflating the price on the properties that I've bluffed him into buying enough said about this tactic I might give away too much.

anyways I spent a day testing out my theory on this kinda strategy in 2 player games only. I registered another account under the name...steady...within 5 hours game time my ranking went from 1000 right up to 16000 then I did a stupid thing and played a 4 way game came 3rd. I think my rating on this account is 14000+

so what I'm thinking now is I may spend more time playing 1 on 1 games instead of 3/4 player games where this for me is more quite rewarding.

thats about it

btw punkkus that was a really interesting thread. am now thinking that this thread was submitted awhile ago have edited my thread abit

with regards jarod_b

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:04 pm
NiceGuy
Planetoid

The single most effective tactic to use, is to adapt to your opponent... if he wants to buy extractors, let him pay... if he wants to bid aggressively.. let him... if he bids timidly, grab properties cheaply... but you cannot use a single strategy against all players...

Another thing... never get married to a single property (whether extractor or whatever)... I see people making this mistake a lot, and this is why it is hard to win against me. I don't believe it is advantageous to have a specific property over another... just how much you want to pay for it... if a player gets married to a property, I'll let him pay up... and soon this same guy will become timid on other properties because he wants to save up for his good one...

Plus, another mistake I see people making other than not adapting to your opponent.. is not adapting to the inflated market... when a lot of bonuses have been hit, the prices of properties go up ... not only that.. if you believe your opponent is going for a specific property, and he tries to buy some totally different property like orange.. guess what, you have to gage whether your opponent really wants this property or is just buying it so that he can get you to spend... Here's an example...

In this one game, I'm clearly going for light blue, and have about 3000 in cash... my opponent has 2000 in cash... I have two light blues already... I land on red... and I bid.. and he tries to stop me... why?... if I were to go for red, I'd stand a good chance to lose blue... and then after I let him buy red, I go bid on pink.. and he stops me again... and now he's almost broke.. and I land on last blue... and its over...

Also, another key quality in a winning strategy... is unpredictability... Make your opponent believe you're an aggressive player, or make him think you're going for a different place.. when you're really going for another... I honestly don't care what the property is... I have key favourites ofcourse, but it doesn't matter to me in the long run.. because what ends up happening is, my opponent has a whole lot of incomplete properties in the end, and I've got the one that he can't afford to stop me on anymore... This is where "not getting married to a property" comes in really handy... If you get caught up in "oh I must have green"... you'll never win against a good player.

Also note: I'm talking about 2 player games ofcourse... Yep Jarod... bluff/inflate/outwit strategy is the only way to go in 2 player games... but add adapt to that list too... It's like a game of poker/chess in the end...

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:11 pm
toyster
Ex Moderator

Poker & Chess - 2 very different games, dont u think? Probably, it starts off as a game of poker and slowly turns into a game of chess...

Yes, I hv had a few drinks Smile

Cheers,
Enjoy GaMing!!!

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:40 pm
NiceGuy
Planetoid

Well sorta, what I meant was there's elements of poker and elements of chess in this game... tactical planning and developing a gameplan is the chess aspect... deception and analysis of psychological aspects of the game is the poker aspect.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 pm
Kreso
Game Developer

I had a similar thought when creating this game.. a bit of chess, a bit of poker.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:59 pm
sweet----
Moon

Kreso wrote:
I had a similar thought when creating this game.. a bit of chess, a bit of poker.

a bit of monopoly? Question Laughing

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:42 am
DR_EVIL
Planetoid

I PLEDGE ALLIEGANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF GREEN. AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS. ONE NATION INDIVISIBLE WHITH MONEY AND POINTS FOR DR_EVIL!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil: Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:18 pm
DR_EVIL
Planetoid

my mistress green will be upset for this but i just won a 3 player where the only thing i owned was PURPLE! Shocked guess u cant beat the dice!

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:22 pm
Husky
Ex Moderator

I think that the best way to win in a 2 p game is to have the green or the purple monopoly fully upgraded and bteween 2 and 3 extractors and 1 or 2 utilities. Besides that u must have at least one red, one dark blue and a light blue.

For the rest of the properties u must auction a little bit more, so the other player to pay big prises and let him hope that u will trade later.

If u have all of this the other player will have a nice and slow death.

Good luck!