All times are GMT  

Should we Return to earlier version of GM
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
No but make a few changes (please explain)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:54 pm
Fort
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the EC should be reduced by -10 instead of -15 over each pass. Game will last abt 5 mins more but it will be much less luck factor. Just remember luck factor increases exponentially when RC goes high into negative.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:19 am
muffinhead
Planet

Well id be happy with it at -10 instead of -15 but i think it will slow the games down by more then 5 minutes. But it would decrease luck factor by alot so i like it.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

also reduce bonus to half after economy colapses

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:05 pm
carrieann06
Star

or stop it all together that way there isno luck factor after ec! apart from get (such an amount) and go to jail

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:38 am
muffinhead
Planet

Here we go with some grate ideas. I personally like carries more only because its more simplex for noobs. But either way i think this should be looked into by kreso.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 am
meg
Planet

nah i agree with bills idea, bonus should be halved not stopped.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:34 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

could you imgaine the game after ec with no bonus?

lol

noone being saved from it, so a quicker game .

me and helen played the other day, and although it was a close game , we must have had around 10 bonuses after ec in space of 10 to 15minutes.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:46 am
muffinhead
Planet

Ok then fair enough i wouldnt care either way. I can just imagin a year later us complainen about to many bonuses when u get about 100 each time u go around lol.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:57 am
Husky
Ex Moderator

carrieann06 wrote:
there are WAY TOO MANY bonuses

Yes, a lot of them. Too many. Wink

Husky - best dogs ever invented.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:28 am
muffinhead
Planet

well then lets solve this problem already but first we need kresos oponion.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:48 am
MadMACS
Moon

Hey all, I haven't been around for a while, but I just want to add my $0.02 on the changes that Kreso has made over the past few upgrades to GM, and how it has affected game play to reduce luck and increase strategy, and what still is left...

1. post-EC buyer returns to start instead of auctioneer: effect - makes auctioning a property a much more thought invoking process than before, because it's not just a question of whether you will go to Start and avoid paying the lap of rent, but it's the possibility that another player will outbid you, going to Start, and if they were about to land on your property, then that's additional cash that you won't be getting. This is a HUGE increase in the strategy of the game, because even when I had 2 greens, and was "lucky" enough to land on the 3rd green, a couple times, I wouldn't auction it because I didn't want the other player to have the opportunity to buy it and skip landing on my fully upgraded reds and pinks.

2. EC starts at -50, but then decreases by -15 with each person passing start. This is huge in the way of strategy now. It's true that it's a lot less painful to pay 50 than 300 at the start of EC, however, with Start dropping by 15-75 per lap (depending on the number of players) it quickly gets much larger than Start ever did in the old games.

3. The whole "never buy anything strategy and amass lots of cash"... I think that we need to admire this as a potential strategy, but there needs to be a way to ensure that people who have acquired and upgraded their monopolies are rewarded for it. There were tons of posts put up by myself, Booga, and others, talking about the "intrinsic value" of a given monopoly, how much it's worth to buy and upgrade, etc. I think that the "fixed" amount of cash in the game is a good thing, and that Bonus should be pro-rated.
Maybe make Bonus = 2x current Start Value? And then, in EC, make Bonus a Curse, and takes away Start value from everyone (even in jail) at 0.5x Start Value. In this way, the people who have no props and lots of cash will get drained fast, but the people who have lots of monops and upgraded props the rent will keep them afloat. The -50 at EC isn't painful if you have 3000 cash, but if you have -50 cash at the start of EC, the interest plus Start payments will cause you to spiral into oblivion fast. So, we need a way to balance out the player with fully upgraded green + pink with no cash getting wiped out by a player with 3k cash and no properties worth anything. But, if the other player has 10k cash at the start of EC, then no number of bonuses and what have you will save you. If EC starts at -50, then you basically need to earn at least 50 more in rent in than rent out in order to make it around the board. That's not hard, even if you only own orange and brown, and you get lucky and avoid opponents. But if EC starts at -300 (old way), you need to not only get lucky, but own the top monops on the board to make a profit/break even in EC. Also, in the old way, where EC only went down through fortune recessions, I felt like I was "praying" for recessions, as that was the only way to get other people's cash stores to drain. Now, you can just race around the board to push Start more negative. Although, I still haven't figured out why people would advance forward willy-nilly in EC.

4. Not only do you need to think about ROI for a given monopoly (how many hits does it take to recoup your investment), you also need to think about how that purchase, and upgrades, will impact your buying power. If you purchase the 3rd green for 2000 (not too cheap, but not rediculously expensive) and that leaves you with 4000, you can upgrade fully, and still have 1000 for purchase power to defend against your opponents. However, if that purchase leaves you with 500, then you can't even afford the first upgrade without going negative, and your opponent can then grab up other properties inexpensively. There's a lot of strategy in GM, not only in purchasing, but also in giving other players a property. If my opponent just purchased the 3rd green, and they have 500, I'd be more than happy to sell them crappy props to drain their cash so that they can't afford to upgrade, and then, hopefully, be able to scarf up some cheap goodies between the force feeding.

Anyway, overall, I really like the changes that Kreso has made, I think that they make it much more "strategic", and the only two areas of the game that are still luck-encrusted are Bonus (which I addressed above) and Jail (which has its own threads).

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Husky
Ex Moderator

Wow, that's a huge post MadMacs. Wink

Husky - best dogs ever invented.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:50 pm
carrieann06
Star

no offence but can we have a shorter version not enough time to read that

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:55 am
DavidNobre
Ex Moderator

I like of new rules.....i just think -50 in colapse leave the game very slow......so i suggest that start in -200........

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:05 am
muffinhead
Planet

Same here i love the rules but i disagrre with bonus starting at -200. I think ive said this a kabillion times but there would be a sudden part where u r about to go around the board and suddenly ec goes to -100,200,300etc.

I also aggree with all that madmacs said for the make bonus a curse. I remeber saying earlier that we should change jail to a bill paying centre where if somone lands on it everyone loes $100 but to change bonus into one of theses wouldnt be right.