Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy Tips for Newbies
      All times are GMT  

Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:34 pm
MadMACS
Moon

Post subject: Tips for Newbies Reply with quote

Hey all,
I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if we put together some "tips for Newbies"?
I mean, every time I play against someone with under 1500 points, I wipe the floor with them.
Takes a little of the fun out of the game.

Tip 1: You don't have to bid on everything, you don't have to win everything, and if you do get a monopoly, you might as well improve it with upgrades, because a naked monopoly is just a waste of money.

Tip 2: Have a "sense" of how much you're willing to pay for a property, and don't stray too far from that number, unless you have silly amounts of cash. There's no reason to pay 600 for the first orange, ever. It's not that important of a property.

Tip 3: Try not to go negative. Once you run out of buying power, you're at the other player(s) mercy, and they can step all over you buying everything dirt cheap.

Last edited by MadMACS on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:05 pm
MadMACS
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip 4: After EC, when you're approaching Start, if you've got negative money, you can sell your upgrade before you pass Start, instead of after, and that way you save 20% interest on that money.

My general rule of thumb for whether or not to sell an upgrade:
1) How much money will you get for the upgrade sale?
2) How much money will your rent decrease from the upgrade sale?
3) How much interest are you paying at your current money?
IF the interest is greater than the difference in the upgrade sale, and there isn't anyone close to landing on your property, sell the upgrade because the extra cash will decrease the interest.

Tip 5: When the Start value is high (above 150), it's OK to go negative in your money (a little) as you'll quickly get it back from passing start. Once the Start value gets close to EC (below 50), you might want to avoid making a purchase that will put you negative, as it's much harder to come back.

That being said, if you have a lot of upgraded monopolies already, and you have potential income, then it's OK to go negative to stop an opponent from getting a monopoly.

Tip 6: What's a property worth? That depends on your current cash level, the opponents' cash level, and what the result of the property is. If this is the last of a monopoly, then it's obviously worth more than the first two sold for. But, the "effect" of letting your opponent buy the property needs to be considered as well. If you let them buy the third DARK BLUE, then they can spend up to 3500 in upgrades. That's a great way to tank your opponents cash supply, so that you can then swoop in for the last pink or green that you were waiting for.

Thanks Kreso, for making this a sticky. Smile

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:12 pm
MadMACS
Moon

There's a difference between beating the noobs, and chasing them away from the game.
I played many 1st timers and halfway through the game, they got all frustrated, quit the game, and never came back.

And some quit as soon as you buy your 1st property.

I'm just trying to give the noobs some tips to get started, so they don't have to read a dozen threads with dozens of posts to figure out the strategies of GM.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:34 pm
MadMACS
Moon

I appreciate the support for the topic... but to make the Newbies lives a little easier, can we please focus the messages on actual tips?
If there's tips in one out of every 5 messages, it starts acting like the other existing threads.

Tip 7: 2P is easier when you're first starting out. In a 2P game, obviously everything that you don't at auction, your opponent buys. There's not much trading involved in a 2P game most of the time, because it's tough to make a trade that benefits you both equally. You don't have to worry about any tag-team or ganging up, since it's just two of you.

I'd suggest that you stick to 2 player games until you reach at least 2500 points. Otherwise, you're could be hanging yourself out to dry. In a multi-player game, the odds are very different, and I'm not going into any of the higher math that are in the other threads, but... in a 2P game, the extractors (whites) are worth 2x themselves. In a 3P game, only worth 1.5x, in a 4p, 1.25x, and in a 5p 1.2x. Not to say that they aren't great properties to have, but in a 5p game, utils and exts are nealy even in value, but in a 2p game, exts are worth more.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:52 pm
MadMACS
Moon

Tip 8: In a multiplayer game (especially 4P/5P) greens are a deadly sin. Don't trade them unless you're getting something very valuable in exchange. They're just too powerful. Once the greens are fully upgraded, in a 4p game, that player could easily earn 500+ per round, which more than makes up for any hits on little extractors and other monopolies.

In a 2p game, greens aren't quite as valuable, as it's only one player that needs to avoid hitting green. I just played a 2P game, and I had brown, light blue and dark blue, plus 4 utils and 2 exts. Opponent and greens fully upgraded + 2exts. It was a tough challenge, but my little stuff beat out goliath. Had it been a 3+ game, I'm pretty sure the guy with the green would've pulled it off and won.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:00 pm
carrieann06
Star

i got a tip for every noob that wishes to read this, its probaby the best tip you will ever get...

just play a few games and watch how others play as noone ever plays the same on this game, no matter how many tips you get how to win, 9 out of 10 times the wont work, just find out your best play plan and you wont go wrong much, but be prepared EVERYONE has a bad patch it doesnt mean you are rubbish, everyone starts at the same place and learns the game

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:15 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

and EVERYONE goes through the patch of bad luck in which no matter how good you play, your opponent will NOT land on any of your properties.

i have played a game about a month ago, where i owned the yellows, reds, pinks, and light blues and my opponent owned only the browns and 4 whites and 2 blacks and he didnt land on my properties to any effect where it would change the game, i was getting 10's from white to white, and the browns really punished me.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:51 am
muffinhead
Planet

I think its just that it is hard to give tips 4 newbes. All i can say is try to learn that game as quick as possible maybe by playing 3/4/5 player so u can c how other people play against each other. Experience is a key to playing this.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

my advice, is play someone 2 times.
1 game is good to see how someone plays, and learn their strategy, maybe play a defensive strategy to block your opponent, OR go all out on the attack and go for the browns, then blacks and then block everyone , just buy one of each ,

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:31 am
muffinhead
Planet

I have also realised that if u know how ur opponets will play then there plan is useless. I try figue it out all the time and i usually win when i understand a player. and Bill i know exactly how u play lol.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:56 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

do you ?
i dont .
i have 3 or 4 different ways of playing and i never ever decide how ill play until the other players show me their hands.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:26 pm
toonz
Ex Moderator

Oh and just incase you don't no, picking a nick does not give u powers or crap like that. If you pick the thief, you don't go to jail more than every1, you don't get ore money as a businessman. You don't automatical start with green ause you are a geek. They are just to distinguish between players. They are just like the iron or the boot of monopoly.
I'm saying this because yes some noobs keep asking me what the looney does.

THE LOONEY IS MINE!!!!!!

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:48 am
jaord_b
Moon

my tip would be:

an old pro once told me [aka god] use the inflate/bluff/adapt strategy in all your games... expect nothing and youll get everything and always try to read your apponent try and get into his head lol make them make mistakes then your in busness sounds very aggressive but it works most of the time

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:47 pm
DragonBanker
Asteroid

Hi i am new and i want to ask how can i improve i tried this tips but i am little lame so can somebody help me out?

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:17 am
jvtennis23
Asteroid

ok heres the thing all the stragies are a bunch of junk heres how u play newbies:
uve got 2 options:
one u choose to bid on everything get all the extractors and a couple monopolys and u need to auction tons and tons bid get everyhting u can get! uve got to be agressive and sometimes go negative.

two : choose to in the begining give ur opponent everything letting them go negative and big time then when they are at the worst, STRIKE AND buy everything.