Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy The GM Formula?!
      All times are GMT  

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 am
muffinhead
Planet

Post subject: The GM Formula?! Reply with quote

As a first year undergrad math student, I thought it would be fun to come up with a mathematical model for gm. By making a few simplified assumptions, i have a model which I believe to be reasonbly accurate. I might explain how I came up with it later on.

Anyways combining everything together and cutting a long explanation short, Here is my proposed model.

The expected profit (E) from a set of properties before economic collapse can be estimated by:

E = [ 0.8 * H * N * S * (P-1) / 10P ] - C

Where:

H = The amount of money you receive when someone lands on the property
N = The number of properties in the group eg for yellows N=2, for cyan N=3, for black N=4
S = The amount of money you recieve for passing go at a certain moment in the game
P = The number of players in the game
C = The total cost for buying the set ( eg for cyan its the amount you paid for the 3 properties plus the amount it cost to place houses.)

Assumptions made:

The E value is the amount of expected profit before economic collapse, so overall profit will be a little higher.
The E value includes the amount of money you will receive as well as the amount of money you take away from your opponent.

Lets do a quick example:
You buy 2 yellows for 1100 each and start money = 200 in a 4 player game is the moment u fully upgrade ur houses on the yellows.

then C = 2000+ 750 =2750 (half since u get money back when u sell houses)
N = 2
H = 250
S = 200
p = 4

Therefore E = [ 0.8*2*250*200*3 / 40] -2750]
E = $3250
Therefore a good buy at that moment in the game.

So finally whats everyones thoughts? Do you think this would be hepful in a game? Are there any important factors that I have missed? Will this improve ur game? Razz

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Reply with quote

This is spectacular. Simply use it combined with independent variables (Bonuses, Chance Spaces, etc.) and you've got a great chart.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:21 am
muffinhead
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

By assuming profit before economic collapse, the model preety much eliminates any impact that bonus money will have. The only important part which it contributes to is the rate of accession.
I would love to find a list of random cards that are used in the game to determine a more accurate rate of accession. Currently ive estimated the rate of accession decrease due to bonuses and meteor shower to be 10*P (So in 2p the board decreases by 20 each time everyone goes around the board once and 50 in 5p etc) . Do you guys think this is an accurate accession decrease rate? It seems a little high but may actually be accurate.

Personally I believe that the biggest independent variables affecting the current model is going back to start after an auction and jail. Hopfully some day I can factor in those variables. The current model is still a draft where improvements can always be made.