Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Urgent: Revive the dying game
      All times are GMT  

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:32 pm
hrs111111
Planetoid

Post subject: Urgent: Revive the dying game Reply with quote

The hard truth... GM is dying!

I see only seasoned players around, with their numbers dwindling.

As for new players
1] They rarely join us, since GM is not high on search rankings
2] Those that find the game by chance leave shortly since there are very few players in the lobby with whom they can play to learn the game

I also noticed that GM has no facebook page, but only a facebook group.

A few solutions in this desperate hour...

1] Create a Facebook page. Very important.
2] Market the game on Facebook. Share it with your friends and family
3] We might even move a part of forum discussions on to Facebook to make the game popular.
4] Maybe someone can write a nice article on the game in some blog post, which can be shared on Facebook.
5] Marketing the game on Facebook pages of similar games which have thousands of active users.

We need someone as a marketing moderator/coordinator for GM. That will make all the difference!

Who is with me?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:42 pm
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers over the next couple of weeks should pick up, as generally speaking holiday periods when people are off college, school and work tend to help. Although up till yesterday whenever I was on numbers were below what I would expect.
Saturday night (over night gmt time), there was just no getting a 4/5 not no how. After a couple of hours I gave up and went to bed to read.

The game has been down twice in last two days for short periods also which won't help.

There are some issues that no matter how hard any one person tries it just cannot be over come, and that is the antivirus company problems where they flag GM as a bad download. This alone would make any advertising where money is involved a financial waste of time. Ads on FB are not free.

The forum gets very little activity, players don't bother to read or check the forum. But then there is little activity here for people to bother looking at. Then it becomes a habit of not to look. This then impacts on tourneys as players generally have no idea there even is one unless moderators and/or players sit in the lobby advertising it. Players don't generally don't join tourneys off their own back these days, they have to be lead to it.

So there are some things which could be in theory tackled, although there will always be the difficulty of getting new users due to the download issues.

I hope the low numbers of last week change due to christmas, but its about retaining as many holiday visitors after the fact as possible thats the hard bit.
Keeping interest going so when people's lives are busier they still make time for a few games each week. If everyone did this numbers would change greatly. If people gave a few minutes of their time to create new forum posts (things not in complaints or announcements) but threads people could get involved in it would provide interest.
Even debate and conflict can be very good for forum activity increase. People like something to feel passionate about. Sadly many just have no passion left.

You can sit in the lobby for hours and barely a word is spoken. Once this place was a community. Over time its lost that community feel to it.

However with new mods in place, given time when they find their feet hopefully that will help. Without moderators who have passion, drive and real love of the game it doesn't do any favours for the place. If mods are tired, given up, don't particularly care how many players are around or don't even bother to play themselves and just reside to the fact that gm is slowly but surely dying....it will only get worse.

I hope the day never comes when numbers are so low that I find myself finding another game to play, although to be honest that has already happened. Due to long waits in the lobby and often waiting a good hour for a game I do now play on a another site whilst I sit and wait. But least I do wait, least for a fair while anyway.

Oh and where's finger vanished to, haven't seen him lately. He's always been good at contributing to forum activity. Hope to see you back again finger.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:03 pm
hrs111111
Planetoid

Good to hear your reply trace

So, anyone interested in organizing a GM publicity campaign on facebook? (free publicity of course)

Blog posts, reviews, facebook page for GM....

Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:37 pm
trace567

I don't know much about fb to be honest, but I've just looked on the information thats on fb. Since there is already a couple of fb groups set up (one by now ex mods) I doubt creating another would be much use. So really it needs to be a facebook page, I would assume with a page you'd get the like button thing.

This is copied directly from fb
Quote:
Who can create a Page?
If you are the official representative of an organization, business, celebrity, or band, you can create a Page here.

Only the official representative of an organization, business, celebrity, or band may create a Facebook Page. The Page creator can then add other representatives to help them manage the Page. Each Page admin will be able to update and edit their Pages from their own accounts.

In addition, Page names may not solely use the generic term for the category of products or services you offer (e.g. "beer" or "pizza"). Those Page names that merely refer to generic categories (e.g. "Photography" instead of "Joe's Wedding Photography") may have their administrative rights automatically removed. Also note that once a Page has been created, you will not be able to edit the Page name.

If you would like to create a Facebook presence for a celebrity or organization and you are not officially authorized to do so, please create a Facebook group instead, as these may be created and maintained by any user.
Permalink · Share
Was this answer helpful?

http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=194296353949511#Who-can-create-a-Page?

So really I think that would have to be done with kreso's permission for someone to set it up and run it on his behalf I guess.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:41 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Pages are peanuts Reply with quote

Oh, no, no. Facebook pages are made every second by everyone for a variety of ridiculous reasons. That disclaimer is neither followed nor enforced. As long as you don't use the trademark name of a company as the sole name, you can make the title of a page for a public cause like "Galactic Magnate Fans" or "Advocates for Galactic Magnate." Mr. Green

For example: http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Peeing-whilst-waiting-for-the-shower-to-warm-up-in-the-morning/79519243411

or http://www.facebook.com/pages/Using-Foamy-Soap-Makes-Washing-Your-Hands-SOOO-Much-More-Fun/306799251293

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 am
Receive
Planetoid

I have an user and I'm active in Squidoo, which is quite a big publishing platform. I can create a page for GM there, im sure it would bring in a few people. It has to be original content though, and I'm really not sure on what to include apart from rules, images and a download link. Maybe thats enough though. Anyone willing to write down all the rules and send me the list via PM? You could also add different information about the game if you'd like.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:32 pm
meg
Planet

unfortunately this game hasnt run well since kreso was a regular and actually cared about what happened with the game.