Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Suggestions return to start after recession
      All times are GMT  

Would you like to see the feature described below applied in the game, so that luck is even more minimised? please read first.
Yes i prefer minimising luck and promoting skill.
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
No, i prefer games based on luck.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:19 pm
Kreso
Game Developer

Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMAcs has a good argument for blue.

But for red, 4 hits is enough because you gain +100, opponent looses -100 so it's 200 difference in each hit meaning 4 hits is enough.

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:21 pm
MadMACS
Moon

If you're going under the assumption that the player already is negative at the time of the auction, then avoiding start is even more critical, as you save the 20% interest penalty, on top of not paying the start cost.

I still say that being able to pay to avoid passing Start is strategy, and not luck.
In fact, if I owned the greens, fully upgraded, and I just landed on an orange during EC, and there was a player sitting on the 1st pink, I might not auction the orange, as it would give the other player a chance to bid to avoid landing on me and passing start. Additional strategy, since right now, if anyone ever lands on a free orange during EC, they always auction it without hesitation.

And while you say that you don't consider mortgage values when deciding to purchase a property during EC or not, a light blue for 300 - 20% = 240 mortgage 10 = 230 net cost is a much less attractive deal than dark brown or dark blue. It's true that mortgage value isn't the same as cash, but it may be the difference in that last round between bankruptcy and surviving past another player.

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:50 pm
Kreso
Game Developer

Ok, I finally understand the argument.

You want to bid for going back to start, because this might, on not so rare occasions, be worth about 200 (200 more than minimum price), and you think that this 200 should not be decided by luck, but by bidding instead.

Well... Ok. I will try it in the next version.

Whole morning lost on analyzing this feature. The life of game designer is hard...

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:20 pm
MadMACS
Moon

Thanks Kreso,
Didn't mean to make your head spin on this topic. Smile
And I see your point about the 4 hits vs 8 on the oranges.
But, while there is a 200 point differential (+/- 100) per hit, my net cash is only increasing by +100.
So, if I had 3000 cash before the orange transactions begin, and I purchase the 3 properties and upgrade fully for 1500, I now have 100 cash (assuming that all 3 transactions happened on 3 successive rolls, with no outside factors affecting my cash total and I purchased them for 200, 400, 800 as listed above).
So, after 4 hits on orange, I have 500 cash, which doesn't recoup my investment, even though I do have a net 800 more than I did before the 4 hits with respect to my opponent(s).

If I had 3000+ after the purchase, there would be no question that it would be worth it to upgrade fully, but if I only had 2000 or less, it would be a very questionable investment, as it would decrease my purchasing power significantly, for a delayed ROI.

And yes, that's the general deal about post EC purchasing, bidding for the right to go back to Start without passing Start, more so than the actual property itself. The property is more of a bonus/add-on to the ability to skip Start and some potential expensive properties.

Or, another side effect, if I owned the fully upgraded greens, and a player was on pink 1, and a third player auctioned an orange, I might outbid the pink player with the thought that he could hit me and pay me 500, thereby making my bid that much more valuable besides skipping Start. So, if I had cash, and the pink player was low, I might bid 300+ for the "worthless" orange, since I now avoid start and potentially increase my rent revenue.