Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Plain bloody unfair! Is this a joke?
      All times are GMT  

Would you like to see an 'everybody gets 5000 except you' fortune that occurs once in a blue moon to make the game more interesting?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
No
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm
hrs111111
Planetoid

Post subject: Plain bloody unfair! Is this a joke? Reply with quote

Is this a joke?

After playing the perfect strategy, and getting the greens fully upgraded,
my opponent doesn't land even once for fifteen rounds. He doesn't skip, he doesn't evade, he simply passes through without landing. What the heck is going on here?

2 player game between hrs_elite and sjenza

Check out the logs.

This simply cannot be classified under random luck. Whats the point of playing the game and buying properties at all, if your opponent never lands on them. There should be some normalization to counter such extreme cases of luck that happen.

I request that the 3k points i lost from that game be added to my account Neutral Sad

Last edited by hrs111111 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:45 am; edited 3 times in total

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 pm
fingerbun
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and again that will happen.

However, demanding to have your points back because of some bad luck is laughable and very optimistic on your behalf.

There is a ‘bad beat’ thread which is around somewhere. This is where I go to complain to unlistening ears. You will feel better after posting there, so I suggest you do so.

Your post was not very detailed and you say your opponent went past greens 15 times; what were you counting or something? What’s the bet your opponent had several sources of income and more cash then you. You probably upgraded close or in a recession and left yourself with no cash. Which means you need your opponent to land greens very quickly.

I apologize if I am wrong. If so please give more detail to this game.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:42 am
hrs111111
Planetoid

I think it was around +125 when I upgraded. I was at a very clear advantage since my opponent had very little cash, and I still had reserves after upgrading green. Which is why I called it a well planned and perfect strategy.

Me: greens + light blue (both fully upgraded)
Opponent: whites + reds (not fully upgraded at that time since he was low on cash)

The first time he landed on a green was at around -300! And then none at all. I went bankrupt at around -500. Thats a long long time, so many passes around the board. And I got 1 hit for buying the greens.

Even if my opponent had hit greens once every 5 passes (the avg is 1 in 3.5 I think), it would have created a net wealth transfer of 3000. Which did not happen. And I assume 15 passes happened for my opponent around the board before the only instance where he hit the green.

My minimum expected value when I had bought the third green was 5 hits (till my opponent went bankrupt), or a wealth transfer of 5000. (Usually people buy it with an average of around 7 hits in mind)

The game is not normalized at all, when 'luck' causes you to loose 5000 to your opponent. You might as well introduce a fortune card saying 'everybody gets 5000 except you' , that pops once every 10 games. Makes the game more interesting, won't it?

And a game that does not normalize extreme scenarios, causes people who like strategy to leave. I think this is one of the reasons I left the game two years ago because it ruined my experience. And it seems like there has been no changes to normalize the game in that time Neutral

Last edited by hrs111111 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:52 am
fingerbun
Planet

Its a bad beat bra.. It happens rarely so next time the shoe will be on the other foot and you will win when you shouldnt.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 am
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Agree with fingerbun. I have lost when I should have won, because my opponent didn't land at all on my props, and also won when when I should have lost, because the reverse happened. Just one thing though - the feeling/complaint of 'I have well upgraded props but my opponent doesn't land' occurs frequently with green/pink/yellow, occasionally for red, and almost never for others, for obvious reasons.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 pm
nockTurnal
Planetoid

I voted yes. I voted this way because it's a nice reward to all the players who play this game. Being rewarded will make players want to come back.