Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion some things never change!!
      All times are GMT  

Fri May 13, 2011 9:07 am
Welsh-Leek
Ex Moderator

Post subject: some things never change!! Reply with quote

After being away from GM for a month or two, due to real life, I see things here are as they always are every few months. Players and the whole community of GM need to realize that a GM with out mods would not be a pleasant place or last long!

Moderators are here giving up their free time to help YOU the players!! not themselves. Who is there when some body cheats you out of points ? who is there to ensure that no players gets abused and feels uncomfortable here ? who is here to ensure we have things such as tournys ? who is here to ensure the site stays online ???

if you need me to answer this question then you probably should not be on GM and need to find another site!!

BUT THE TRUTH AND ANSWER IS ..... MODERATORS!!
with out them this place would not exist!! and believe me as an ex mod, the role of moderator is not easy and can be very time consuming!!

SO I ASK THE WHOLE COMMUNITY OF GM TO INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HAVE A GO AND TELLING OR MAKIN MODS FEEL UNWANTED, TO INSTEAD THANK THEM AND APPRECIATE THEIR WORK HERE!!

feel free to add your comments here im up for a debate with any player!! but it would be nice to have some positive feed back, not for me but for GM and the current moderators!

thanks & good day!

steve aka use-give

Fri May 13, 2011 9:31 am
oister
Planetoid

Post subject: hi there Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Steve...
The peace on GM will not last without mods... and I really think, they are doing a great job Smile

My best
oister

Fri May 13, 2011 11:12 am
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the solution lies somewhere in the middle. People are asking for less moderation, or more permissive moderation, but not no moderation. There are people, who enjoyed playing the game, but were upset at being banned, etc.

I do not know what the strike by moderators is trying to achieve. Anybody could log into the lobby and start scrolling, points passing, posting spam on the forum, etc. It is a tribute to the GM community that it hasn't happened. If the mods wanted time off, they should've appointed someone who could take their place, instead of disappearing for one month.

Let us recognize one thing - GM is just a game. There are adults who play the game, and do not enjoy being told what to do and what not to do. Excessive moderation can and will drive away all but the most passionate players of the game, and sometimes them too. People will just move to another online game.

Fri May 13, 2011 12:53 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

ranban282 wrote:
I think the solution lies somewhere in the middle. People are asking for less moderation, or more permissive moderation, but not no moderation. There are people, who enjoyed playing the game, but were upset at being banned, etc.

I do not know what the strike by moderators is trying to achieve. Anybody could log into the lobby and start scrolling, points passing, posting spam on the forum, etc. It is a tribute to the GM community that it hasn't happened. If the mods wanted time off, they should've appointed someone who could take their place, instead of disappearing for one month.

Let us recognize one thing - GM is just a game. There are adults who play the game, and do not enjoy being told what to do and what not to do. Excessive moderation can and will drive away all but the most passionate players of the game, and sometimes them too. People will just move to another online game.

I mostly agree with you ranban. I am a former ex-mod myself, and I know that yes, it does take time and effort; ultimately, however, you do it because you have the time, and you love the game of GM.

Because I know mods do their jobs because they love the game, I know they would sign up for any changes that would help the game become better. Loosened restrictions on the game would most definitely help the game. It would make people feel less like children when they mess up, and encourage them to stay for longer. Additionally, it might even make the job of the mods a little easier, because certain cases will only have to be looked at if a person has been reported a couple times, or because some situations will have obvious outcomes (because they are non-serious offenses).

I love the mods for what they do, and I will continue to, because I know for sure that they make the game better. Let's look at what we can do to make moderation more efficient for what we want out of GM.

Fri May 13, 2011 4:05 pm
trace567

I personally see the mod time out as a good and positive thing. All mods can return refreshed having had a break. If of course they choose to remain moderators.

I personally needed a break, and I am loving it Very Happy

But whilst we are on a break (this is not a strike lol) it doesn't mean we would not act in a serious or emergency situation, of course we would!

This time out is also not just for moderators benefit, but I felt players too would benefit from having some time to talk, discuss, argue between themselves without any mod interference etc.

Fri May 13, 2011 4:51 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

That is good to know. Enjoy your break!

Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 am
fingerbun
Planet

Post subject: Re: some things never change!! Reply with quote

Welsh-Leek wrote:

SO I ASK THE WHOLE COMMUNITY OF GM TO INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HAVE A GO AND TELLING OR MAKIN MODS FEEL UNWANTED, TO INSTEAD THANK THEM AND APPRECIATE THEIR WORK HERE!!

Thankyou for the cap locks.

I don’t think anyone actually directly said that moderators are not wanted. I think some moderators are very good, I also think other moderators shouldn’t be put in charge of a shopping trolley.

The main point, the game is a ghost town. As an actual active member who plays the game frequently, I have to wait 10-30 minutes for a game. Most times I give up and go do something else. Compare this to a couple of years ago; this place was pimping.

How does a game like this become less popular? I understand that some people get bored but new people should take their place. The world is not diminishing in population, are less people using computers and the internet or something?

This was the main point which some members brought up. Sadly but probably true, the problem is a mixture of current membership, lack of promotion and a small few of membership in charge (moderators). I have seen how some moderators conduct themselves in the lobby and on the forum, and quite frankly I have seen more professionalism in a jelly wrestling match.

Sat May 14, 2011 6:56 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Re: some things never change!! Reply with quote

fingerbun wrote:
I have seen how some moderators conduct themselves in the lobby and on the forum, and quite frankly I have seen more professionalism in a jelly wrestling match.

I feel like I have heard you say this several times, but I have never seen it. Proof?