Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Kreso is open sourcing GM! Interested? Read on!
      All times are GMT  

Mon May 02, 2011 6:13 am
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Kreso is open sourcing GM! Interested? Read on! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Our legendary game developer, Kresimir Cosic aka Kreso, has agreed, in principle, to make the GM source code open, by releasing it under the GNU GPL licence.

He said that he needs a week or two to locate all the source code and insert the appropriate copyright notices. He also said that he wants some "reliable people who are genuinely interested" to get involved.

If you are interested in discussing the technical aspects of GM, and want to read, understand, and contribute to the (hopefully soon to be released) GM code base, join the following google group:

http://groups.google.com/group/gm-game-developers

If you would like to pitch in ideas, report bugs, test fixes, and generally drive the future development of GM, join this group:

http://groups.google.com/group/gm-game-interest

Wannabe developers (Those who joined http://groups.google.com/group/gm-game-developers) should join the interest group as well.

Disclaimers

While Kreso has promised to open source the GM code, note that it has not been done yet. However, I think it should happen unless there is some drastic reason. However I do not take any responsibility if the open sourcing doesn't occur.

Secondly, if and when the code is released to the public, it may be months before any meaningful can be done, as it will involve understanding the codebase and generally feeling comfortable making changes.

Kreso, in his own words has said,"The code is not written very well, and contains some really bad ideas." I think that what we are seeking to do will by no means be a cakewalk. But we can try.

FAQs

1. The source code of GM has not yet been released. So why is this being done now?
Well, it is always good to start early! But a more specific reason is that Kreso asked for "reliable people who are genuinely interested". So if a good number of people get interested, it will make Kreso more eager and confident about open sourcing the game.

2. Why are we using google groups? There's always the GM forums.
There is a possibility that the GM server may play up and take the forum down with it. Google is more reliable. Secondly, there is some amount of duplication and lack of clarity in the bugs/feature requests forum. We would want the bug reports to be more precise. (Exactly how that can be done is something to ponder about) Thirdly, collaborative development is usually done through mailing lists. It keeps the focus - those who are interested will get updates in their inbox (or not, depends on the settings you choose). The people who will be in the group will presumably be a subset of the people on the forum, and will hopefully be more active. That said, it is really a gut feeling, and we can move back to the forum if there is a good reason to do so.

3. Who will have access to the existing server?
Kreso, in all probability. It is, after all, his baby. I have not brought up this topic with him, and am reluctant to do so. We could get a new domain and server and test any new features there.

So long folks, join the groups and blaze away!

Mon May 02, 2011 8:10 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like great news. I'm sure this goes unsaid, but I'm gonna say it anyways- whenever we get more familiar with the code and how to go about making changes (in a couple of months or however long it takes), we should be extremely cautious in what changes we make. It is important that we do not start changing lots of elements without support from a majority of members. Bugs are one thing, but strategies and key elements are another.

I know you are probably already thinking along these lines, but I want to make it clear how important this really is. We do not want to lose GM along the way of trying to make it better. Kreso has created something that has provided fun and community to players for years, so we proceed cautiously. But not to be a downer- I'm actually really excited about this. It will be a great opportunity to vamp up the game, fix any problems, and attract more new players.

I really respect Kreso for moving forward in this step.

Tue May 03, 2011 7:48 am
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Quote:
I'm sure this goes unsaid, but I'm gonna say it anyways- whenever we get more familiar with the code and how to go about making changes (in a couple of months or however long it takes), we should be extremely cautious in what changes we make.

Yes, you're quite right. I've stated this in FAQ #3, which says that in all probablity, Kreso will keep control over the current server. We will need an alternative domian name (web address) and server to test out changes if and when we come to it.

So we need not be afraid of changes to the current site.

As for any further changes, I suppose we can safely work on things which do not impact users directly - better logging and tools for moderators, etc.

Then there are feature additions - more user commands, maybe allowing people to observe games, etc. These too shouldn't cause problems.

The problems come when we try to change an existing functionality. We should proceed with extreme caution in this regard.

Anyway, why are people not joining the groups? It is vital that people take interest if things are to improve!

So go ahead and join these groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/gm-game-developers

http://groups.google.com/group/gm-game-interest

Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 pm
theunknownamus

Thanks for the redirect ranban! Disregard my last post hehe

Mon May 09, 2011 8:31 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Need developers Reply with quote

OK guys, we really need more developers if this is going to go forward. This is what Kreso has to say:

Quote:

Hello!

Yes, I found the code and made the script that can insert copyright notices.

But, there is still one thing that I don't like: the group that you created, gm-game-developers, has only two other developers.

I'm thinking that would not be enough to make improvements to GM, and if there are no people interested in improving the code, then it doesn't make sense to GPL it.

Those developers should be the people who regularly play GM, so that I know that they are interested in developing the game further.

Kreso

So we need more people to join the groups! If you are interested, but don't want to join the google group, then say so here!