Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Report cheaters, and other complaints AntiCarlucho
      All times are GMT  

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 am
CANON
Ex Moderator

Post subject: AntiCarlucho Reply with quote

Just noticed Anticarlucho7 and Anticarlucho4 log on at the same time and go into a game together. 06:00GMT

Strikes as a bit odd.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:01 am
CANON
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

PS... game lasted a few minutes and they both logged off.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:16 pm
trace567

100 day ban issued to AntiCarlucho + ALL points removed from every account involved which was 10 accounts.

There were 8 2p games and 12 3p games where 1 name quits right at the start.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 pm
CANON
Ex Moderator

Thanks Trace

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 am
AntiCarlucho
Asteroid

Hi,

I am one of the users of the AntiCarlucho accounts. I tried to play today and to my surprise I was notified that I was banned. I didn't know the cause and the game did not explain it. Fortunately you post the issue here and now I am properly notified.

I want to apologize if we violated any of your rules. We are a group of friends that work together and like to play Monopoly a lot. We discovered your game many moths ago and started playing it; we loved it. So we organized our own tournament last month. We decided to play 2p games only in order to avoid teaming issues. We tried to create our own lobby rooms but we were not able to select ourselves in each tournament. Then we tried playing 2p games and canceled them when another player not belonging to our group was picked by your server. We apologized to each player when that occurred and no harm was done: they won points for that, we lost point, and they lost just 10 seconds of their time. Sometimes we did not quit but played and lost or won cleanly; can you cheat in a 2p game?

Then we tried another approach. Three members of our group selected a 3p game at the same time in order to increase our chances of getting together, and when we got a game with our members, immediately one of the player resigned so we could have our 2p game. In a few cases another player not belonging to our group was chosen in the 3p game; in those cases we usually played and played cleanly losing sometimes and winning another times (no teaming). Perhaps in one occasion or two we all resigned immediately, but again, we lost points and never spent more than 10 seconds.

From our perspective we did not cheat because we did not prejudiced any other player or won points doing that. You can check that we tried to use low profile accounts all the time trying to keep scores of less than 3000. Accounts with more than 5000 points were usually discarded. We named all the accounts the same: AntiCarlucho, AntiCarlucho2, AntiCarlucho3, AntiCarlucho4,..., AntiCarlucho7, except for pepiron1. We lost the AntiCarlucho5 password so we never used it. In fact we created all those accounts in order to avoid accumulating points and being caller cheaters (but we are called cheaters now anyway). We are not great players, but we can easily win more than 8000 points with normal games; however we did not.

Could you reconsider you punishment? 100 days is too long. I understand cheating is winning points with unfair play. We never did that, we just tried to have our tournaments. You can check that. What harm is done if we quit IMMEDIATELY? Most Galactic Monopoly players are great, but a few times I have played with contestants with a terrible attitude or other players that make teaming. We NEVER did that. What is wrong if AntiCarlucho4 plays with AntiCarlucho7 in a 2p game? Sometimes I have waited 30 minutes or more waiting for a 2p, 3p or more when 5 or more players where logged in but they simply did not want to play; I don't think they should be banned for that. We are not interested in points, we don't have them, but we would like to continue playing.

I would also like to ask you if there is a way to choose players: the private lobby did not work for that.

Thanks a lot for you time and please excuse my grammar mistakes.

Sincerely,
One of the AntiCarlucho accounts users.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:44 pm
trace567

Thanks for posting, it does explain how pepiron became involved as we did notice he appeared in several of the games, but we could find no linkage between his accounts to the others.

In the 3p games where 1 person quits, it means they lose points which then goes into the final pool of points for the game, which is then artificially inflating the final win by transferring points unfairly.

Also this doesn't explain how there were 8 2p games (couple of which were on higher accounts where 2 users enter a 2p rated game and then do not play. We can see how many rolls each player makes before the end of the game.

If you were wanting to ensure playing just the people you planned, really the only way is by using unrated. If you get the wrong match you can safely quit and try again with no points lost, or gained.

No games which had a fair number of rolls with ALL players were counted.

I'm afraid this doesn't explain how there were 8 rated 2p games between accounts linked to 2 pc's were involved. I did not count any games where clearly another user unconnected to your "group" were involved, or any games where a fair number of dice rolls took place, indicating that a full game was played.

The points removed from ALL accounts involved will have to remain, as for the ban duration I will take this back to the mod team to discuss further.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:59 pm
AntiCarlucho
Asteroid

Hello,

Thanks for your fast answer.

I think I can explain some points:

1. The issue you are addressing here happened in the last two months when we started our "local championship". When we started last year my partner used unrated games in a couple of times and he was not taken seriously by his opponents who started to play weird. As a result, he forgot to use this option and forgot to encourage us to use it. Now that you mention it, you are right, but we simply forgot it and with the low scores involved and not harm done to others we though everything was right. Please accept my apologies. I didn't either think that.

2. Most 2p (95%) games where either player fully or abandoned immediately in an effort to chose ourselves for the game. Once again, we lost points doing that.

3. I remember some experiments we did. We tried to pay remotely using hand held devices without success. Let me share my results: We used PalmPilots by mostly preferred Nokias 770, N800 or similar due to their high-resolution screen (800x480). As you know, these hand held are not compatible with Galactic Magnate but some can be configured as graphical terminals that can connect to Windows PCs.
a. We tried to use Remote Desktop to connect from the hand held to the PC. Since remote desktops reduce the Windows screen to the hand held resolution, we got an error telling resolution was not enough.
b. We then tried VNC client (and server) and could run Galactic Magnate because it creates a Window with the full PC resolution inside the hand held (Nokia). We thought the main problem would be the need to continually scroll the screen in order to see all the action, but it happened that the color palette failed and the screen looked weird, difficult to understand.
We spend a couple of trials with these experiments, maybe 3 or 4, but I don't remember 8 games. Yes... we spent the time trying to improve the screen... we could not, meanwhile nobody moved.

Perhaps we got too involved in our game and forgot the whole environment, but as I told you, we never stole points and don't think we won points doing that. The games we won or lost were cleanly played.

Please take in account my explanations and consider my situation. I was the one who presented the idea of using multiple AntiCarlucho accounts. My teammates just followed my advice. It took time for us to win the points and we won them cleanly, and tried always to stay below 5000, that is why we created many AntiCarluchos (except for a couple of them were we simply forgot the password). But it is OK if you want to erase them, it will not affect our local tournament. However the 100 days suspension will. We are not cheaters. We did not hide with different named accounts, we used the same name.

Thanks again,
One of the AntiCarlucho accounts users.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 pm
SurPlayer
Asteroid

Post subject: No banning please! Reply with quote

Hi,
Please forgive us. We promise to use no rating in our games.
Best regards,
Another carlucho guy.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:16 pm
trace567

After discussion with other moderators it has been decided the ban will be reduced to 30 days (from the date the ban was first applied).
The 3p games where 1 account quits we are discounting from the ban, leaving the ruling based on the 8 2p games where there were either 0 rolls, or just a handful of rolls.

After the ban please make sure to use unrated when playing 2p games with 2 accounts which are linked, or used by the same pc's. Also please do not use rated games with accounts which are linked (used by same pc's or have very similar user name) unless the game is to be played in full.

The points removed will not be restored also I'm afraid.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm
AntiCarlucho
Asteroid

Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for reconsidering. We understand your decision and promise to be more careful with the rating system.