Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Announcements, Maintenance and Tournaments Proposed changes to forum - Idea's and opinions wanted
      All times are GMT  

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:55 pm
trace567

Post subject: Proposed changes to forum - Idea's and opinions wanted Reply with quote

First of all unfortunately we don't have a lot to work with on the admin side. What at this point we cannot change is the basic design and colour scheme. We cannot update the php version either without kreso (and sadly he doesn't have the time to do this).

That said we have been looking through to see what possible things we CAN do to improve the overall look and feel of the forum.

Below is the rough draft of the current plans. However we would really like to get forum and players feedback and suggestions before we go ahead with anything.

Of course when we actually try and make the changes, if anything is not possible on our side unfortunately it won't be able to be done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The forum will be divided up into sections. Currently everything is under one section only (General discussion) this will just mean things become grouped together into a category with relevant sub-sections.

Top Category - currently no name

Sub section 1 - Forum Rules and Game Rules
Here will be threads related to forum rules and game rules, including trading, abuse, etc.

Sub section 2 - New and Old come and say Hello Here!

Here will be a section for new and old users to introduce themselves.
Also will be a sticky thread "Meet the team" where moderators will introduce themselves.

Sub section 3 - Announcements, Maintenance and Tournaments
(the original section just moved to a new place and renamed to include tournaments.

Sub section 4 - Help and support (original section just moved over)

Sub section 5 - Report cheaters, and other complaints (original section just moved over)

2nd Category Galactic Magnate Discussion - Currently this is the title of the whole board area.

Sub Section 1 - Galactic Magnate Strategy (This section simply moved to new place)

Sub Section 2 - General Discussion (this section simply moved, although maybe broken down and posts moved to most appropriate area)

Sub Section 3 - Suggestions Cyndi's brainwave to rename section (Old feature Requests section re-named)

Sub Section 4 - Bugs (possibly this section and suggestions could be combined.

3rd Category -OFF TOPIC section (maybe named as The Lounge or something like that)

Sub Section 1 - Off topic chit chat
Basically an area for any topic not covered by other sections.

Sub Section 2 – Forum Games

Any other sub sections anyone can suggest?

Final Category (for registered users only, this will NOT be seen by lurkers)

Name suggestion – The GM Bar

Sub section 1 – Debate and heated discussion Zone Name suggestion made by Steve (The Sauna) (Only area for any kind of debate or heated conversations. Rules are lesser here, but no swearing or abuse allowed etc.)

This can include any kind of debate but comes with a warning of do not enter if easily offended.

2nd Sub section - ? Need Suggestions

3rd Sub Section - ? Need Suggestions

Comments very much wanted Very Happy

Sorry post is pretty long Embarassed

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:27 pm
CYN
Admin
Admin

Post subject: HOW BOUT SOME FEEDBACK???? Reply with quote

Kind of disappointed as I am sure Trace is, that after all her work figuring out most of this that no one is commenting with any ideas, likes or dislikes....
How bout some feedback?

ITS ALL GOOD

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:32 am
molecule
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea because it would make it easier to find what your looking for or just to chat or play games

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:19 pm
theunknownamus

I like the idea of having new efficient sections. Should make finding what you want easy and orderly. The section before General Discussion could called Basic/Essential Info. I would suggest that the feature requests description be retyped a little to "suggest possible game changes" or the like as well. I would suggest the posts there, if they are to be removed, be saved somewhere instead of deleted as the unrated games thread was. Also, another good thread for "The GM Bar" could be New Gameplay Ideas such as 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 handicap matches or other. Smile

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm
trace567

theunknownamus wrote:
I would suggest the posts there, if they are to be removed, be saved somewhere instead of deleted as the unrated games thread was.

I would not be deleting any posts, however posts may be re-located around the board into which ever area they are most suited to.
That said some older posts which are no longer relevant and cause confusion maybe moved either to the mod area or something, just so they are not in immediate sight.
Here I'm talking of the fact there are currently 8 announcements and 3 sticky topics at the top of this section alone. So basically a general re-organising and tidying the whole board up.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:18 pm
trace567

Need more suggestion please.

Especially for a name for the top category section.

I need a few suggestions to decide on one that best suits the sections it will be with.

I would like to get on with making the forum changes asap. But before I can, I really do need more feedback guys.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:55 pm
phazed
Planetoid

Suggestions for top category ==> "Galactic Magnate Galaxy"
"Planet Glactic Magnate"
"GM Portal"

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:42 pm
trace567

Hmm quite liking "GM portal" or Galactic Magnate Portal perhaps.
Thanks Phazed.

Please ALL keep posting ANY suggestions you have.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:04 pm
bezma2

How about ...

>>>>> GALACTIC MAGNATE >>>>>>
---------------THE BEST PLACE FOR FUN --------------

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:50 pm
trace567

I have discovered that the basic subsilver template by phpbb is in the forum base.

I know the forum has had the current design for as long as I can remember. Whilst subsilver is not great, the question is would you guys prefer subsilver just for a change of look? The current one could be switched back to at any time.

Whilst it would be nice to have a totally new style, at the moment this is not possible.

So lets get some opinion please?
Example of subsilver link below
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/templatesdemo/index.php?s=1

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:17 pm
trace567

Post subject: Helloooooooooo! anyone home? Reply with quote

Please please shout if there is anything you guys can think of for the forum renovations.

The mad woman has been allowed by Kreso and Cyndi to be let loose on the forum hahaha

Hold on tight........ it could be a bumpy ride Laughing

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:05 pm
molecule
Planet

sorry this wont be much help brainstorming, i like the current template because of the background colors are easier on the eyes, however the layout of subsilver uses space more efficiently. right now the forums home page has 8 sections which i believe to cover most catagories, at least 2 for help a couple for discussions and games and one for complaints. your outline for the new forum is broken down nicely, the first section being there mostly for ease of new players getting accustomed to the GM community.
of course it may take some hashing out details like how will we know where to find what we want, maybe section 1 rules, help, strategy, support and complaints. mostly i like the rest, section 2 good with advanced strategy, section 3 off topic also good right now we got a couple of games going and this is a nice diversion while waiting for a game to say the least. and as for the GM LOUNGE or whatever name will be most appropriate i totally agree with this idea. Very Happy

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:57 am
molecule
Planet

the new forum is really cool, my only sugestion is that since sometimes we have more than one forum game going to maybe add an extra thread, so that new and older games are shown. sry this may not be needed but this post will not not delete and i like your new games but am dtermined to break at least number 1000 on counting thread if others keep posting. other sites have the same game and from what ive found we are
catching up. Smile

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:18 pm
trace567

molecule wrote:
the new forum is really cool, my only sugestion is that since sometimes we have more than one forum game going to maybe add an extra thread, so that new and older games are shown. sry this may not be needed but this post will not not delete and i like your new games but am dtermined to break at least number 1000 on counting thread if others keep posting. other sites have the same game and from what ive found we are
catching up. Smile

My current thinking is to create a new forum in the GM Lounge section. This would be for Music, movies, Tv, and other forms of entertainment.
This would then mean all threads which are not forum games but have those themes will be moved to the new area.

This should then thin out the off topic chit chat and possibly a little in the fun and games area.

Then I would make any very successful frequently used threads become stickys. Pushing them to the top. Hopefully this will then pull some of the older but good games up the list (as the eye see's anyway).

I'll have a go and then let me know what you think. It can always be changed if it doesn't work out.