22%  [ 2 ]
Linux/Ubuntu
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:15 am
theunknownamus

Post subject: The Tri-feck-ta Reply with quote

Which of the Big Three do you think is best? PC, Mac, or Linux?

PC is popular but unreliable
www.collegehumor.com/video:1886349

Mac is efficient but restrictive
www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html

And Linux is... an enigma (I know nothing about it)

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:02 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

because of vista alone, pc (who relies on windows 95% of the time) should be excluded from this list. windows 7 is better but not great. but i will make the argument even further just because i know this answer would not satisfy many.

just because macs can be restrictive doesn't mean they're not the best. in terms of anything media-related, macs dominate pcs in every way. in terms of speed, battery life, and resistance to viruses (largely related to the ratio of number of people owning pcs/macs), macs continue their domination, and their overall performance is cleaner. this is proved by windows seven's attempts to copy a lot of mac's interfaces. and now, to make it even worse for pcs, macs are becoming / have become more compatible with everything else. macs win by a large margin.

linux is just an operating system.... but its not widespread enough to be in this competition. it's awesome for being open source, but is not nearly as reliable or dynamic as the other two.

major, major mac win

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:04 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

only thing is.... because they're so much better, macs cost a lot more. so there's a downside (and you cannot play GM on macs unless you run a parallel windows operating system, i believe)

needless to say, i would guess 99% of people who play GM have PCs. it will be hard for you guys to see the greatness of macs.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 am
judd
Planet

I had this dilema a while back when i wanted a new laptop.

To look at mac's compared to pc laptops, visualy, the comparison stops once you realise they both have a keyboard. All mac laptops are seriously stylish.

Hardware wise, on a £ for £ basis, you get significantly more for your hard earned cash with a pc. It's almost as if apple buy 12 month old internals compared to what there is in pc laptops for similar cash.

I'm no expert, but the mac operating system is much more efficient so because of this, it runs on the lower spec components much more smoothly - palbra appreciate your understanding on this?

Mac all the way!!!!

Oh yeh' I ended up with a sony vaio because my lady got it me for xmas even though she was brain washed by me saying mac book air all the time - this has got to be the best looking computer i've ever seen!
Cool

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:23 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

judd wrote:
I'm no expert, but the mac operating system is much more efficient so because of this, it runs on the lower spec components much more smoothly - palbra appreciate your understanding on this?

yeah i don't know exactly what you're asking, but macs have traditionally run more smoothly, and though technically it is possible, they almost never ever crash, which is a huge plus.

apple spends more time integrating all of its components because it only sells a limited number of computers at a time. this is fairly simple to understand when you consider all of the different brands of pc... almost every pc is different and has to be put together individually. hp, compaq, or dell alone will have more models at a time than apple has, but apple spends an enormous amount of time putting their few models together to perfection. the performance is more consistent and dynamic.

don't get me wrong. there are a lot of great pcs out there for sure, and you can probably get one for cheaper. but if you get a macintosh (especially since apple's technological strides of the last five years), you know you're getting an amazing computer that won't let you down.