Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Announcements, Maintenance and Tournaments GM Website Stats
      All times are GMT  

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

I think triple HHH's replies really branched off to another realm which I'm not even sure is true so not really getting into all the details of it and traces reply which is even longer

my post originally is about just the site traffic stats really and then it branched off into a tun of convoluted theories on why the traffic started dropping

when i originally posted this topic I honestly didnt expect the site traffic to drop so heavily, it was more of a novelty to see the site traffic and where people come from who play the game which alexa normally displays but now that its dropped so much the only info on where people who play come from, at least from alexa info, just shows this now Crying or Very sad

Galacticmag.com’s Worldwide Traffic Rank

Country

Rank

Turkey Flag Turkey

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 pm
trace567

yaaahoooo_2010 wrote:
I think triple HHH's replies really branched off to another realm which I'm not even sure is true so not really getting into all the details of it and traces reply which is even longer

my post originally is about just the site traffic stats really and then it branched off into a tun of convoluted theories on why the traffic started dropping

when i originally posted this topic I honestly didnt expect the site traffic to drop so heavily, it was more of a novelty to see the site traffic and where people come from who play the game which alexa normally displays but now that its dropped so much the only info on where people who play come from, at least from alexa info, just shows this now Crying or Very sad

Galacticmag.com’s Worldwide Traffic Rank

Country

Rank

Turkey Flag Turkey

Yeah I noticed the Turkey bit, yet know of no users from Turkey!

And sorry yaaahoooo for the thread going off on a tangent.

As for site hits, as recorded by alexa. this would I believe be more about new hits than players as such. Especially old users. Few have reason once they download gm to even go to the website. Forum yes, but the website itself no. Only rank list and info on gm is there with the download.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:17 am
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

The site traffic on alexa includes any site address extention of galacticmag.com including the forum

so ya obviously if fewer people are going to the site then there must be fewer players..... unless it evens out and not everyone who visits the site actually downloads the game and the actual number that download the game are the fewer very seriously interested ones and maybe this # isn't that big compared to the number of ppl visiting the site so untimately the fewer #'s of ppl visiting the site hasn't effected # of new users but i doubt it

is it possible to see how many ppl download the game on any given day or how many new game users are created for any period of time?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:55 am
theunknownamus

If alexa tracks every link within GM (Main page, forum, shop, etc) then I believe it would be possible to see how many people download it.

I'm not fully sure, but I believe that downloading the game itself requires a link to be clicked, the link being the physical Download button. Now, it doesn't bring you anywhere (just starts the download) but because it is an embed command, I believe the link could be tracked if you can find out what it is. Possibly Arrow(not actual link) www.galacticmag.com/start?=download.exe or something.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

ow ya........

no, alexa doesnt track every link... it bunches them all together per the domain or something...... plus i dont think alexa has a hit counter

i learned this a while ago, for example if you type in http://www.galacticmag.com/forums into alexa it defaults to galacticmag.com

i think the ranking encompasses all GM sites

it would be easy to put on the GM game download page a hit counter if someone had access to the GM site admin page but i bet only kreso has this

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:24 pm
trace567

Hmm interesting. I have been looking at GM stats on a different place. You can view both visits and/or unique visitors.

Whilst it does say our traffic is significantly down from Dec 2009 (but then I suspect the holiday time in Dec could well of upped the stats) it says our traffic is actually higher than the lowest in the last 12 months. Which is says was Oct 2009 (which is actually when you said in this thread) numbers were up.

According to this site we are lower than we were, but significantly higher than Oct of last year (the biggest decrease). Lower than this time last year. Our highest month was July 2009 (of last 12 months). Again this ties in with summer holiday time, just as Dec ties in with Christmas.

There is a pro (paid version) where you can view stats for 2 years. But I haven't got that. (ouch it costs min of $199 dollars a month for pro, sod that lol)

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/galacticmag.com/?metric=sess+uv&months=12

I'm going to try and register and see how much it costs to get the pro and see what other stuff they have there.
I also have another list of similar sites I might look at.
I found it like this....
http://similar-site.com/search.php?URL=www.alexa.com

Also, on search engine traffic for keywords exact match "monopoly online" our competitor (can't state who for obvious reasons) but is top of the search engine search has 60.36% of the traffic off that search term. It only shows the top 5, we do not get in the top 5. The site at place 5 gets 3.01% of the traffic off the "monopoly online" search engine term.
76.43% of the traffic to galacticmag.com comes from google search engine.

Anyway - basically our peek months for traffic (total numbers) according to this complete.com place are:

April 2009 huge peek in traffic (April, I'm thinking Easter holidays?)
June/july 2009 number then major peek again (Thinking summer holidays schools, college, uni etc)
Numbers then drop massively-
Dec 09 when again another huge peek in traffic (Xmas holidays)

This is a definite fluctuation in traffic for times of year by the looks. All seeming to link to holiday times.

I think it must also be considered that there are not just many factors affecting numbers at any given time. But that theres different types of numbers.

As in total user count.
If a few people are all in the lobby at once, it looks busier. If players get a game quicker they will stay and play. If they log in to find an empty lobby they may simply log out again. Thus numbers roll off one another.

There is also "known familiar players". You may log in one day, find 25 users online say. But you don't know a single one of them. Following day the same. You may notice you are not seeing the users YOU are familiar with. Thus thinking numbers have fallen. Even if the actual number of users is of little change. The mind homes in on what is familiar.
I can list a bunch of players who come and go. They don't leave GM as such, they just have times when they don't bother with GM so much. But players do take breaks. Also as GM does attract vast number of users in the 18-25 bracket you have to think. People move on, they get married, have children, start jobs where they may of been studying before. The players who were predominately around 2 years ago cannot be expected to be the predominate group now. Simply as people move on.

Plus naturally things going on with the forum, moderators etc can of course have some kind of impact. But as the biggest portion of players do not tend to get drawn to the forum. Or even know much about what is going down here. What you do notice, is again "known" players and their reactions, annoyance or disappearance. But you don't hear them from those who do not mix within the forum or lobby on the whole. Thus the forum reflects only a portion of GM users thoughts, feeling and opinions.

There are just so many factors involved in stats of all types basically.

Last edited by trace567 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:56 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

good stuff. i think it's very valid that vacation times have a huge effect on the numbers here, and i'm also convinced that waves of particular players also have big effects. some players are more influential/likable than others, and when there are a few more of those around, we have higher numbers in general.

unfortunately, that's harder to define

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

Okay, the alexa.com ranking is based on site traffic for the previous 3 months. so if this siteanalytics.compete.com is accurate the last three months were pretty brutal.........

i think the only way to know if this is just a seasonal slowdown would be to compare for the 2 year period but ya not worth it to buy the $199 version.

maybe if looking at the alexa screen shots in my link here and comparing it to the high and low month periods maybe it can be shown those periods were the busy seasons for GM compared to now...

or if it really is seasonal then both alexa ranking should be significantly higher around june and this siteanalytics.compete.com chart should trend higher like last year........

if it does not improve over the next 4 months then it is defn known the games popularity is declining

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 am
theunknownamus

I'm thinking that Spring Break and/or Easter should boost up numbers yet again. Such as could be with any site, holidays improve traffic. Though... I personally am ironicly not on during vacations and more on during work months. Wink