Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Announcements, Maintenance and Tournaments GM Website Stats
      All times are GMT  

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:28 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is proof the traffic ranking is crashing.

April 2009 - 699,000 rank (not bad)

August 2009 - 1,041,399 rank (hmmm.....)

Feb 2010 - 1,811,223 (huge drop off)

clearly there is less advertising or something

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:02 pm
HHHfan
Moon

i know why the users have dropped, i believe you know why the users have dropped, in fact, anyone with a brain and a bit of common sense knows why users have dropped off.

instead of fixing the problem, the powers that be around here will outright say that they dont care if people come play or not! well, obviously a lot of people decided not. as long as people have to defend themselves AND the rulings are not being called down the middle, the user numbers will drop off. not to mention that every time someone has a difference of opinion, they are threatened with a ban.

with all the free games on the internet, you cant do people wrong or they will simply find somewhere else to go play or do something else. this isnt rocket science! however, instead of addressing the problem, you continue to make it worse, and your numbers continue to fall. i used to care, but i no longer do! after your almighty leader trace decided to publicly put down my ability to roll dice, i decided that if this is the kinds of people in charge, this place can fall. obviously others feel the same.

enjoy your diminishing numbers! Laughing

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 pm
trace567

HHHfan wrote:
i know why the users have dropped, i believe you know why the users have dropped, in fact, anyone with a brain and a bit of common sense knows why users have dropped off.

instead of fixing the problem, the powers that be around here will outright say that they dont care if people come play or not! well, obviously a lot of people decided not. as long as people have to defend themselves AND the rulings are not being called down the middle, the user numbers will drop off. not to mention that every time someone has a difference of opinion, they are threatened with a ban.

with all the free games on the internet, you cant do people wrong or they will simply find somewhere else to go play or do something else. this isnt rocket science! however, instead of addressing the problem, you continue to make it worse, and your numbers continue to fall. i used to care, but i no longer do! after your almighty leader trace decided to publicly put down my ability to roll dice, i decided that if this is the kinds of people in charge, this place can fall. obviously others feel the same.

enjoy your diminishing numbers! Laughing

Oh right, so its all my fault now Laughing

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:31 pm
HHHfan
Moon

if you look carefully at what i said, i said nothing of it being one persons fault. i said the powers that be, now, if your the only power that be, then yup, its all your fault.

all i said, was that for me, when someone in charge trys to say someone like me is no good at, very technically, ROLLING DICE, that was a big eye opener for me that i was wasting my time here. in fact, had 2 classes not got canceled this week, i likely wouldnt have read yahoos post to start with.

what im saying, is that moderators have the power to keep players with fair rulings and tolerance. another thing i didnt mention, and everything i said makes perfect sense by the way, is that you guys are quick to point out a bad loser, someone who mouths off when he or she loses, but at the same time, you have a bunch of bad winners running around stirring the pot, as every time they think they are gonna win, THEY start mouthing off about how good they are and how the person having the misfortune sucks! this breeds bad losers, but all anyone cares about are the bad losers.

this, and what i said before are no doubt largely to blame for poor numbers. how many people have i seen say they were done with this place after a bad ruling or a questionable ban, and the moderators and others just say be gone, we dont need you, you dont matter?! that is no way to get or maintain player numbers by any means. this is what i said.

ironically, you have the power to turn it around, but you wont! you will just continue to do what you do, and thats cool! the fact you even gathered that i said it was all your fault is a testament to that, or, u can turn a new leaf and prove me wrong, either way, eh, its all the same to me!

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:29 am
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

This is what I thought at first as the reason for the weaker site traffic, which includes the forum, in that regular players stopped playing and going to the forum b/c of GM politics and bans......... but after thinking it through I figured this alone would not be enough to cause such high drops

i have to agree more with Gareth here:

Bill2k06 wrote:
i would suggest the reason , is that the advertising has gone off the main website, so in turn the game is not being advertised in google as much and as high anymore,

i cannot go into further detail but im about 90% certain that this is the reason

in that advertising is the real reason is GM traffic is down

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:17 pm
HHHfan
Moon

im going to try to make this real simple. player numbers going down, CURRENT NUMBERS GOING DOWN, has NOTHING to do with advertising! now, it no doubt affects the turn over rate, but certainly not declining numbers.

let me make this real simple, A DECLINE IN THE NUMBERS YOU ALREADY HAVE, CANNOT BE ATTRIBUTED TO ADVERTISING! you are losing people for another reason, i know what it is, the vast number of people who left know what it is, and a good chunk of people are still here knows what the problem is! if you cant fix the problem, all the advertising in the world isnt going to KEEP PLAYERS!

i dont think people seem to understand the difference between getting players to play, or check the game out, and KEEPING PLAYERS! KEEPING PLAYERS is the only thing that will keep numbers up! since i dont think people around here are capable of fixing the problem, id say trying to advertise is a waste. your waste, granted, but still a waste! people are only going to play until they see how things are around here, then they are gonna go spend their time doing something else! i cant even count the number of players i have seen be told that they are unwanted or unneeded, this will never help, but this will likely never change, and thats not even half of your problem! if you dont know what i mean, then i dont know what to tell you!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

HHHfan wrote:
im going to try to make this real simple. player numbers going down, CURRENT NUMBERS GOING DOWN, has NOTHING to do with advertising! now, it no doubt affects the turn over rate, but certainly not declining numbers.

let me make this real simple, A DECLINE IN THE NUMBERS YOU ALREADY HAVE, CANNOT BE ATTRIBUTED TO ADVERTISING! you are losing people for another reason, i know what it is, the vast number of people who left know what it is, and a good chunk of people are still here knows what the problem is! if you cant fix the problem, all the advertising in the world isnt going to KEEP PLAYERS!

i dont think people seem to understand the difference between getting players to play, or check the game out, and KEEPING PLAYERS! KEEPING PLAYERS is the only thing that will keep numbers up! since i dont think people around here are capable of fixing the problem, id say trying to advertise is a waste. your waste, granted, but still a waste! people are only going to play until they see how things are around here, then they are gonna go spend their time doing something else! i cant even count the number of players i have seen be told that they are unwanted or unneeded, this will never help, but this will likely never change, and thats not even half of your problem! if you dont know what i mean, then i dont know what to tell you!

so you're saying we need to advertise more?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:15 am
trace567

Remind me again Nate why you left? I get confussed. One minute it's me. Another its bad dice, or dice hacking. Then another its players rubbing it in if they win. You won't play multi games coz of too many cheats. The bad dice make you stressed. Hmm, I'm quite confussed really what EXACTLY the problem you have with GM really is.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 am
HHHfan
Moon

i took a number of breaks for a number of reasons. this isnt about me. if i were the only one who had a problem, your numbers wouldnt be down. so, look at the big picture. think of all the people you push out directly. your rulings are all over the place, there is no denying this fact. when people must defend themselves, then the rulings should be consistent, and all rules should be enforced! when the playing field isnt level, and people are told to hit the bricks, with all of the games, tv shows, movies, etc..., on the internet, people are gonna hit those bricks.

you can take it for what it is. i see the problem clear as day. if you want numbers, you must keep the players you have, that is step one. you guys are not exactly player friendly. if you were, you wouldnt have the problems you do! you have players who are confused about the rules, because the rules arent consistently enforced! when you dont consistently enforce the rules, you would have better luck not enforcing any rules at all, at least that would be consistent. again, you need to keep players to have players, so if you get a bunch more players advertising, and run most of them off, like your so good at, then all of your advertising will be in vain!

as to why i left, well, you have a bunch of people around here who are worse winners than i am a bad loser! i can win with dignity and not trash the person i beat, but, too many people around here run their mouths when the dice start to go their way! i wont have some idiot talk down to me because some computer dice dont go my way, especially when i have more important things going on.

so, all im saying, is that if you were a little less arrogant, as moderators in general, as players in general, and realized that every player and potential player is a player you should try to keep around, if you want numbers. be fair and consistent, remember, peoples time is valuable, and if they cant get a fair shake here, they are going to spend their free time playing another game!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

ok nate.

it is true that rulings have varied based on different situations, but people are trying as hard as they can. you know mods aren't paid here (my short stint as a mod was difficult at best in terms of time spent), and the game is too complicated to have a simple one-paragraph explanation of how everything works exactly. unique situations happen, and sometimes people's intentions and positions should be taken into account, making rulings seem more spread out than they actually are. to sum up, yes, the rules regarding cheating can be difficult to understand, but not so bad that someone should find reason to quit in hopelessness.

secondly, people are just rude sometimes. most of the people on here are really competitive, don't like losing, and will from time to time take it out on the loser when they do win. that's just part of life. if you can't handle losing on galactic magnate, you can't handle losing in life. you just have to be mature enough to be the better man when people are idiots, rather than crying like a baby and quitting. i'm not trying to be rude, but i'm tired of hearing people cop out and quit because someone made a rude comment or they didn't get exactly what they wanted. the competitive spirit of the game leads to this, and the only way to stop it would be to have a totalitarian rule restricting any rudeness at all (and people would hate that).

thirdly, where is an example of mods being arrogant? people keep making these vague, blanket comments that mods are being unfair or arrogant or power-hungry, but i can't seem to find any examples.... please show me examples.

lastly, we do have a problem keeping people. unfortunately, i think this is the nature of galactic magnate. i have only been a part of the gaming community for about a year and a half (and the forum less- maybe a year), but i have seen fluctuation after fluctuation of players coming and going. i can't pinpoint the exact reason for this (i'm sure there are many), but i do take heart because i've seen lows like this before, but the people always seem to come back.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm
HHHfan
Moon

first, ill tell you how to cut the confusion, then ill tell you what i mean by moderators being arrogant.

as long as you guys dont set a bottom dollar on trades, and rule all over the place based on "situations" your going to have angry people. now, id suggest, and it will never happen, but if i were running the show, and i wanted to keep players, i would put a bottom dollar on each and every property. say base value, or, since people seem to think its ok to go below base value, say make a value just under base value that the first and second property can go for, then. make a bottom dollar for the third, and also the white and black would need another scale. this would take more than one paragraph, but i could just as well be a list. this way, everyone would know exactly the bottom dollar for every property, and much confusion could be cut out. for instance, if one player turns down a trade, as happened not long ago, for fear of cheating, then have someone else make said bargain basement trade, and have it ruled legal! if you had a bottom dollar price on trades, then everyone would know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what the bottom dollar price was they could possibly trade for, and there would be little to no confusion! in this way, it couldnt possibly even look like your ruling all over, because you wouldnt be. if someone didnt have the money to make a fair trade, they would have to wait to trade, not make a bargain basement trade and anger people!

as to arrogance, its real simple. when you tell multiple people to leave, and they are not needed or wanted, this is arrogance. once again, let me say, THIS ISNT ABOUT ME, IF IT WERE, YOUR NUMBERS WOULDNT BE DOWN! im far from the only one whos been told to take a hike, and its starting, now, to add up, but i tried to warn you of this 3 years ago, but people thought it was only one or two people, but one or two people over and over and over equals downed numbers over time!

i offer suggestions because i had time last week, and i have a few friends who still enjoy playing and would like to see numbers up, and again, i stress, KEEPING PLAYERS IS STEP ONE in keeping numbers up! to do that, you are gonna have to change your ways, or people will do something else! im not making this stuff up. gtg!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:11 pm
trace567

HHHfan wrote:

as long as you guys dont set a bottom dollar on trades, and rule all over the place based on "situations" your going to have angry people. now, id suggest, and it will never happen, but if i were running the show, and i wanted to keep players, i would put a bottom dollar on each and every property. say base value, or, since people seem to think its ok to go below base value, say make a value just under base value that the first and second property can go for, then. make a bottom dollar for the third, and also the white and black would need another scale. this would take more than one paragraph, but i could just as well be a list. this way, everyone would know exactly the bottom dollar for every property, and much confusion could be cut out. for instance, if one player turns down a trade, as happened not long ago, for fear of cheating, then have someone else make said bargain basement trade, and have it ruled legal! if you had a bottom dollar price on trades, then everyone would know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what the bottom dollar price was they could possibly trade for, and there would be little to no confusion! in this way, it couldnt possibly even look like your ruling all over, because you wouldnt be. if someone didnt have the money to make a fair trade, they would have to wait to trade, not make a bargain basement trade and anger people!

Sorry Nate, but not only would that not work. It would in fact cause way more confusion and problems than there are now. For starters, for every 1 forum user there are at least 20 more (likely higher) who never come to the forum. How would they become aware of the major change?
Also if you start sticking a bottom dollar price tag on all properties (there is of course currently base value which is taken into consideration with ALL rulings) this hits a major problem. Not every game is the same. Different cash flows, different sets owned by different people. No 2 multi player games EVER play out the same. In a game with sparse cash, you cannot expect a player to pay a set price tag (other than having to meet base value). But of course whilst in EC, players are now paying to pass start, board may well be heavily loaded. In some games one player selling 2nd yellow (during ec) for 700 if they can only then build to 3 upgrades, is actually OK, provided that 700 is good for the other person. IE maybe other player owns red, only has 3 upgrades, 700 buys them 1 more upgrade, increasing income on red to 210 from 150. Player buying yellow is gaining 130 a hit from 3 on yellow. This could be a good trade for both players. BUT if yellow were traded for 700 in a 5p game at start 290, other player has 3000 cash, one would ask the question if this trade was really helpful to them. Answer is simple, it is a cheat trade. But at EC it might not be, simply because the whole game is changing through out the entire game.

The moment you start sticking a price tag (other than no lower than base value prior to EC) you will result in a) a larger number of cheat trades in comparison to today standards. b) mass confusion of when and how much they must trade for. secondly what happens when a player clearly winning the game decides to purchase a load of property off the losing player, at YOUR values. This trade would not be advancing them one bit if they clearly have won. Yet it could push the player in 4th position up to 2nd, simply because the winner fancied a bit more property of which this person owned. THIS IS A CHEAT. Exactly why Kreso made the rules as they are, simple. Without price tags. Just plain and simple BENEFITING/ADVANCING postions.

This would then in fact result in more unhappy players, and this WOULD then affect numbers. Also, what about Kreso's rules? You want us to change them? Or deeply add to them. Are you going to get authorizations from him to do this?

"but if i were running the show"
Oh and my position is up for grabs btw. So if you are interested in becoming the new ruling face of GM, may I suggest you contact KRESO and/or Bill2k06.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:23 pm
HHHfan
Moon

well, your entitled to your opinion. i mean, if you somehow think its less confusing having the bottom dollar swing like a pendulum, than to make a bottom line value on any givin property, or set, then by all means, think it! but, i think you misunderstand. BOTTOM LINE VALUE, OR AS LOW AS U CAN LEGALLY GO, is NOT a set price, only a set LOW price. now, i submit to you that most legit players are NOT going to settle for bargain basement value. someone may want double face, or even legal value, unless they are trying to help a partner.

what you need is a guideline, so that, if you trade, say for instance, 3 pink for 1000, its going to be a cheat every time, no questions asked! if people knew when a cheat started, there would be less confusion, not more, and it wouldnt look like an inconsistent mess, but you may think what you will.

i dont have time atm to be a moderator, or anything of the sort. 3 months ago i would have gladly taken u up on that. i think if a council sat down and figured out bottom dollar trade values, then posted these values, eventually, the confusion would be gone, because everyone would know what line they could, and couldnt cross, and it wouldnt matter who u were, as it sometimes seems to now!

as it is, i have no time, in fact, i have a class in which i need to give a speech in less than 40 minutes, so i gotta go shower up and look my speech over! good luck!!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

Your guy's replies are of biblical proportions...... i dont even have the patients to read all of this

is it possible to get bullet point summaries of what all was said here to figure out who is right and who isn't?

It seems there aren't even enough replies from enough people to determine who is even right here

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:53 pm
Welsh-Leek
Ex Moderator

yaaahoooo_2010 wrote:
Your guy's replies are of biblical proportions...... i dont even have the patients to read all of this

is it possible to get bullet point summaries of what all was said here to figure out who is right and who isn't?

It seems there aren't even enough replies from enough people to determine who is even right here

Yahoo why bring up a topic if can t be bothered to read the replys ??

And its not whos right or wrong... its ppl debatin and puttin their own opinions across...

i think we all know numbers have dropped. but as it has said before it probably has a lot to do with no advertsing anymore

yahoo i hope u dont take this post the wrong way either mr Smile

Last edited by Welsh-Leek on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total