Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion pay to click ads
      All times are GMT  

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:23 am
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

Post subject: pay to click ads Reply with quote

hi does anyone know why there are less new players in the forum?

is it b/c the website traffic is weak?

i just bought this investment site which has a 557,000 alexa traffic rank and GM is at 3 MIL last month from 1 MIL the month before...... anyone know if some ad listing expired at end of last year?

would pay to click ad revolver things boost new players? it would be cool if there were lots of new players in the forum Confused

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:21 am
theunknownamus

Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably could have gone in feature requests. However, I'm not sure how this would be implemented as software updates are impossible at this time. It would be a good idea many sites have used them (XGen Studios, Pogo, Gamecolony etc), but currently, it remains stuck in the idea stage. Sad

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

this wouldnt require any change in software to the game .....

just $$$$$ to spend in pay to click area such as this one or the thousands of others

http://www.bidvertiser.com/

this is what im doing with my website and its gone from like 1 MIL alexa traffic rank to 500K alexa traffic rank

even if it doesnt bring in many more players at least the dismally collapsing GM alexa traffic rank would improve

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 pm
trace567

In all honesty I have not had the chance to properly look at the site link you posted yaaahoooo. Before I became a mod here I used to use many websites where you got paid to click and do searches. Also cash back for online purchases etc. It all added up, little by little.

I also prior to taking on a mod role here tried creating a website that used the pay per click type thing. Advertising products, websites etc. It didn't take off because I never got it properly in search engines before giving up and taking it offline.

Is it that kind of thing, using affiliate links to generate income or traffic? The places I used you had to apply to use each link on your website.

Dunno if I'm on the right track here.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

yes were both talking about the same type of thing

i think whats really happening as the reason for the alexa ranking drop is what i think gareth said once......

GM used to have more paid ads and doesnt have them anymore for some reason.........

do you think this is the case?

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 am
trace567

Yep, a year back there were ad's on the side of the forum. Not big or loads but used to be the odd one there. Now there's none. The ad contract ran out or something.

Also another reason for numbers decrease is GM on google search for "online monopoly" is now approx 15 in the list middle of page 2. We used to be about 3rd or something.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:49 am
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

jesus ur right....... i just did a google search for online monopoly and it came in on page 2 the 1st listing on this page.....

how come you think it dropped from page 1 to page 2? is there anyway you can think of to get it back to page 1?

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm
trace567

Some of the sites above us in the google search are companies with money to spend on getting their site high on search engines. Plus no doubt they have a much bigger number of hits than us. thus pushing them higher also.

One site in particular, where they have the funding and budget for heavy advertising. They appear 2nd + 3rd and 1st on sponsored ad's today. Now with us on page 2, most people looking for online monopoly will no doubt of gone to their site and be playing monopoly before even looking on page 2 to find us. If people do find us by google search engine, I think 90% will only of got to us after going to the rival first and not liking what they offer.

When I joined GM there was no other competitor out there, when atari.com had monopoly taken down. Which is how I ended up here in the first place. There just was simply no other way to play monopoly online with humans but here. Now there is, and they are by far better advertised than us, so it is no wonder numbers over this time have dropped.

I don't know the reasons through why there may of been a drop this year. But I guess over xmas holidays we likely would of had more hits as more people have time on their hands. So come jan feb I can see this could show a huge drop from say Dec maybe. Only thing I can think of.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:32 pm
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

This logic sounds right again!

I even remember when I started playing here back in '07 the only other option to play online was to pay for it.........

How much do u think it would cost to get on page one of google search result and what exactly would have to be done to achieve this? if the alexa rating is higher do u think this gets higher google listings?

i think its not that expensive to buy higher alexa rating and id do this for the benefit of the game if this translates to a higher google listing esp since im the one most interested in this i think...... but for some reason i think just b/c the alexa rating is higher might not mean google search position changes

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:31 pm
trace567

I've been trying to find the answers on how sites get higher on google search. One thing I found was a suggestion to submit the site to http://www.dmoz.org/ Open Directory Project. So I've just made a submission there for GM to be added, may take weeks to months if they take it.

I had a look at the GM main site page on the source, checking what parts are apparently most used by google in search terms. The main site doesn't seem to bad on that. Not that there would be anything I could do about it anyway.

Apparently it is not based on clicks/views that push sites up or down. But there is mention of getting higher in google from having good links with other well known reputable sites. Hence I guess the rival is so high compared to here. Again I don't think there's much we can do about this.

Leaving the only other option of getting shown higher, would be on the paid sponsored links. This could work out very costly, and it may only be possible to be done by kreso as he is the site owner.

My only other thought, was that GM may not have the best name in order to get high on search results. If you think when you search "galactic magnate" on any search engine of your choice (yahoo, google, msn, aol, etc ) you will no doubt find galactic magnate is the first result. But that's as your searching exactly for the name. Start searching monopoly online, or play monopoly online and bang we drop to page 2. So, if GM was say called Monopoly in Space (just an random name lol) Monopoly would be in the site name, thus this might instantly effect the search engine pick up. If you go do a search for "online monopoly" look at the www. of each listing most have monopoly in the www. and name.

On yahoo search for "online monopoly" we are all the way down on page 3.

I do have one suggestion though, and Jarod maybe able to help here. He once did a little help vid for GM, he posted it on the forum but its gone over time. If a vid like that got put on things like youtube etc given the right tite (monopoly) in the name, it could help....maybe.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:29 pm
Beretta
Ex Moderator

I am not by any means a knowledgeable techie but my brother in ottawa owns a couple of companies and he says for about a $150.00 he can boost the web site posting into the top 7 searches i am willing to pay to get it done to boost membership just a thought

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:41 pm
trace567

Beretta wrote:
I am not by any means a knowledgeable techie but my brother in ottawa owns a couple of companies and he says for about a $150.00 he can boost the web site posting into the top 7 searches i am willing to pay to get it done to boost membership just a thought

That's a really nice offer Beretta. Also yaaahoooo's offer to try and help boost us on alexa rating.

For the moment, hold fire on the things that require money to be spent.

Before Xmas when I stood down from head mod, I tried to take on a role of more organising and promoting GM. Only we got short on mods so I ended up back more in the mod role. Anyway, long story short. Keep the idea's coming. But I want to go away and chat will mods about what we could try.

Any idea's anyone has are all useful. Maybe we should have a whole thread on how to promote GM where all users can offer idea's and get involved, even do little bits to try and help. At the end of the day its getting us seen out there. But we also have to bare in mind the server can only take so much, which is why I rejected a few idea's I had as if successful had potential to in fact kill us lol. Not the goal in mind.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:18 pm
theunknownamus

Good news: We're on page 1 of Ask.com search engine! Not a giant accomplishment but still a good one. On Bing we're on page 4 but they haven't been around long so there's room for improvement.

Since around October, I've been doing some small advertisting via social networking sites (Vox.com, facebook, etc) and word of mouth. Hopefully this will bring new users at a slow but steady rate.

I am curious to why the server can't take a large influx of people. I assume any server could crash with a big change but don't know specifics on server strengths and weaknesses.

Advertisements are fun but annoying imo. I would be willing to tolerate them as long as they remain on the site and not in the game itself. If companies did or do come forth, whom would they pay and what would the revenue be used for?

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:50 am
trace567

theunknownamus wrote:

I am curious to why the server can't take a large influx of people. I assume any server could crash with a big change but don't know specifics on server strengths and weaknesses.

Well in theory the server should be capable of dealing with larger numbers. In practice however, how many it can take before it decides to wobble then fall off its perch is rather hit and miss.

One crash last year we had, whilst not 100% definitely due to increased numbers, in the few days before hand there had been a noticeable increase in numbers. This info was both noticed by some players, and Kreso after the server was back working he mentioned to Bill that over all numbers had been some what higher during the days before we crashed. So it would seem logical to suspect the increase had pushed the server too far.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 am
yaaahoooo_2010
Moon

theunknownamus wrote:

Since around October, I've been doing some small advertisting via social networking sites (Vox.com, facebook, etc)

I like the facebook idea......... i see the ads on facebook all the time and most are kinda annoying but im sure an ad for a game would get huge #'s of hits esp if it showed the GM logo

I found this about the rates but cant figure out how much it costs but i guess something like 46 cents per click which would really start to get pricey after a while or the flat rate per number of impressions

http://www.facebook.com/advertising/?src=pf

here's someone explaining it where it can cost less by selecting the other CPM impression option instead of the per click
http://www.clipser.com/watch_video/1420526

If im following him correctly at minute 4 the charge for CPM (cost per 1000 impression or facebook showing the ad to 1000 people) is 30 cents and with this he suggests at least 1% of the 1000 people will click so thats 10 people will click and this costs only 30 cents compared to the pay per click which would be 46 cents or for the same 10 people clicking would cost $4.60.......

So basically under the CPM model if the max spent per day is $10.00 and willing to pay 30 cents per 1,000 impressions this could buy 33,000 impressions per day and if 1% of the people click then thats over 300 people per day going to GM site who normally wouldnt

Then if the ad ran for 1 week that would be over 2,000 people going to the GM site so surely that would bring in new members and it would only cost $70.00 to run the ad on Facebook for one week