Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Rememberance Day
      All times are GMT  

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Rememberance Day Reply with quote

hi all.
over the last 100 years the uk has lost a number of soldiers in combat, direct and indirect.

i have a few friends still serving over in afghanistan, and i also have a friend who has come back wounded badly resulting in a lost leg and a lost finger, also i have lost 2 friends to the war that we shouldnt even be involved in my opinion.

So i would like to say a few words, and although the 2 minute silence was 22minutes ago, i would like you all to have a think about the uk and Us troops fighting in and around the helmand province and also the other soldiers that have given their lives for queen and country.

Our troops are falling , we feel their pain. their blood washed away , by nothing but rain, Lets take a quiet moment to sit and think , an not lose their memories in a blink, on the roads and ditches, their bodies lay, just for a moments silence on rememberance day .....................a big thank you to the fallen, and a big sharing of our hearts goes to the families of the fallen

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:15 pm
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as my view of wars and fighting is not for it, I still deeply respect those who give themselves and place their own lives in danger for the benefit of what they believe and to fight for their country.

Without brave men and women who have fort in wars of present and past, the world would be a different place today. Which would be a whole lot worse.

Including those who serve in other ways during those times. My Gran's cousin died at sea severing in world war 2. She promised her gran she would place a cross at the memorial every year. My gran now cannot do this as she is too old and ill, but we (my family) continue to do so on her behalf.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:43 pm
Beretta
Ex Moderator

We as Canadians have lost many fine young men and women to this latest conflict in Afghanistan. Some close friends are no longer among us but know this they died believing in it. They go because they are ordered to do it, not because they wish to fight the politicians war at home, they go because they believe in the just cause of it and the sacrifice merits the end of the conflict. Here in Calgary we have staff that are part time forces, and their presence will be sorely missed. I too have have lost close friends and family to this latest testament to George Bush's vanity, But i was proud to have known them and to call them friends, may they rest in peace and know that the Country's supported their decision.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:39 pm
jmf81
Planetoid

Post subject: Great thread Reply with quote

Yes this truly is a time for us to reflect on the sacrifices people have made in service of their countries.

Remembrance day is Wednesday here in Australia
Lest we forget

Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:24 am
Jinn
Planetoid

I had this elegant well thought out reply and then I clicked on compatibility mode which erased everything I just wrote.

The short, short version is as follows:

While I do not support war I always support those who risk their lives for their country.

War is a machine. It serves its own end. Those of us who live through it will never see its end.

Plato once wrote:

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 am
Yiles
Moon

Bill2k06 wrote:
to the war that we shouldnt even be involved in my opinion.

What do you suggest Bill?

Let the terrorists just bomb our buildings and subways and nightclubs, and turn the other cheek?

Remember- Afghanistan is the #1 place where these people scheme and hole up. While I believe that Iraq was a criminal act and a mistake, Afghanistan is the correct place where we should be have focusing. Pakistan as well. While I don't necessarily think that bombing is the answer- we must focus on rebuilding the good elements of these areas, in order to negate those people who feed off of misery. Will it be done in my lifetime? I doubt it. But turning a blind eye and ignoring the problem is just as bad as what the West is doing now.

Right now I believe that our "carrots" must be bigger than our "sticks". but we still need both. Because it is those crazies that will be on your bus next time, screaming Jihad and pulling the switch on a suicide bomb.

The fact of the matter is, no one knows the solution, but I know that until we reach the younger generation to teach that peace is better than war- there will be no end

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:47 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

yiles i could not agree with you more, that there will be no end, this is only the beginning of a very long and winding road, in terms of politics, war, and fighting, and pillaging.

you ask me what do i recommend yiles??

my answer is , .............. << exactly that, BLANK, there is no answer, there is no solution, we either sit back and lose maybe 5000 people a year to suicide bombings etc, or we fight on THEIR doorsteps and lose 500 a year (collectively US, Canada,UK, )

i do know this though..........

that as fast as the UK and Us soldiers are training, and supplying the afghan forces , they are selling their hordes of weapons to the taliban, for profit of making their families happy and wealthy,
While the UK and US will NEVER buy the happiness of the afghan people, the Taliban WILL continue to provide the afghan people with prosperity as long as the afghan people abide to THEIR rules, of handing over weapons, and other information on treaty bound troops.

This makes the taliban a VERY VERY tough opposition, in such that their country is too big for us to scale it all at once, and as fast as we are sending the odd extra 200 troope , 500troops here and there, they are adding an extra 300troops a week on average to their forces, so what sense is it, for our troops to be out there, we may as well, just build big 50cal guns on our shores and when they wash up just blow them to pieces, cos thats all their doing to us , so to speak

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Medicine For Melancoly Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Sad For the love of God, can we just put aside all differences and respect and enjoy a holiday?!?! I’ve had enough of all the trifling conversations and attempted only to resolve them to only have another conflict arise from it! This is my last post for the week if not months. Crying or Very sad Mad

On a calmer note:
Remembrance Day, otherwise known as Veteran’s Day in the U.S., is on Wednesday but I’ll take several days to remember all the countless sacrifices made by the unwavering soldiers in the US, UK, Canada, and any other places not mentioned here fighting for justice. I cannot begin to fathom the pride, patriotism, and courage it takes to die for one’s county regardless the reason. They keep us and our families’ safe at the risk of never seeing their families again. May they come home safely and God bless.

Also, if he doesn’t mind, I’d like to give a personal shout out and salute to Averex15 who is joining the US Air Force in a few months from Maryland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTthpxDM10&feature=related

“All our strength, haste thee to help thee.” Derived from Saving Private Ryan
See MagFlag’s quote as well.