Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy STRATEGY?
      All times are GMT  

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:39 am
HHHfan
Moon

Post subject: STRATEGY? Reply with quote

i think strategy is overrated in this game. heres a great strategy.... it has worked many times against me, but it never should... these games have to be fixed.

ok, imagine somebody paying so much for everything that they are -900 give and take before the recession even hits. biddin so much for stuff that nobody in their right mind would keep bidding... if they thought the game was not rigged.

like paying 300 for first white, 400 for first brown, 1400 for white, something like 1200 for a black biddin red up to 900, for the first. bang all this crazy bidding and now ur in the hole... big time.

but instead of loseing, we hit bonus a hundred times, get them bearly out of the hole before i land on anything of value, and they over bid again right away and go back in the hole. this gets done a lot, and these ppl should lose a lot more than they do. for perspective, i went in the hole once i can remember at around +200 for the third white, and lost by hitting orange within a round.

in the end, these ppl seem to have the computer compensate them for their silly play and still end up winning.sometimes i wonder why i even play this game again. Rolling Eyes

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 am
Sauros
Asteroid

Post subject: Reply with quote

Random chance. This is a game of luck that involves skill, rather than a game of pure luck like traditional Monopoly.

It can be frustrating when the dice do not favor you. Last night I played a game where once purple was upgraded I hit it every time excluding three (two of them being my last two turns).

I had orange and blue upgraded. The guy with brown made apx $2,500 of brown while I didn't even break even on the orange. I always keep a tally sheet because I like to see if my investments pay off.

Orange was acquired before started dipped below 300. I had it fully upgraded by 250. The entire game my three opponents only landed on it 11 times. Blue was 14.

You win some, you lose some.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 am
HHHfan
Moon

i dont know, i just came out of another game in which my opponent bid like a fool, and stayed around 100 most of the game, and the computer just kept compensating, and compensating. it is my belief that this game is no longer worth my, or anyone elses time till the problem gets fixed.

so, enjoy your fixed up games, i will once again be useing my delete button, i cant take it anymore. this game is geared towards helping people who bid stupidly win, and i cant bring myself to play like a moron.

i admit that the game can be kinda fun, but when it comes to a point that people just bid outrageously.. and still have the computer roll everyone so that they always have the advantage, even when they dont have any money, and this is going to happen game after game, then i will no longer subject myself to the aggrivation of a game that requires no skill. sorry sauros, but you and anyone else who believes that this game requires skill of any kind, are wrong. the computer picks a winner, and there is nothing u can do about it. i think that my last 3 games are more than sufficiant proof of that.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:02 am
Sauros
Asteroid

HHHfan wrote:
i dont know, i just came out of another game in which my opponent bid like a fool, and stayed around 100 most of the game, and the computer just kept compensating, and compensating. it is my belief that this game is no longer worth my, or anyone elses time till the problem gets fixed.

so, enjoy your fixed up games, i will once again be useing my delete button, i cant take it anymore. this game is geared towards helping people who bid stupidly win, and i cant bring myself to play like a moron.

i admit that the game can be kinda fun, but when it comes to a point that people just bid outrageously.. and still have the computer roll everyone so that they always have the advantage, even when they dont have any money, and this is going to happen game after game, then i will no longer subject myself to the aggrivation of a game that requires no skill. sorry sauros, but you and anyone else who believes that this game requires skill of any kind, are wrong. the computer picks a winner, and there is nothing u can do about it. i think that my last 3 games are more than sufficiant proof of that.

Monopoly has no skill, it is entirely luck driven. GM on the other hand does have skill involved. There is skill in knowing the prices, skill in knowing when to bid up something, skill in negotiating a mutually beneficial deal, skill in choosing the right properties to buy and on and on.

I understand the frustration of losing. I have lost far more than I win, and when I lose I lose badly. The last game as I said before I would hit purple every time while my properties would be avoided. I had the most credit but the guy with only 630 managed to get red and cyan, red upgraded fully and upgraded cyan by upgrading each time he could and went negative to do so. You would think he would hit my blue or the purple, but he didn’t. He made five passes before hitting a single charge and by that time had cyan full.

Meanwhile I kept getting close to zero only to hit red then purple then black dropping back down to -1100. This happened twice before recession and when it finally hit I was done before -150 because of my horrid luck.

On the other hand I once played a five player game in which I won with orange and brown because they hit orange 45 times and brown 37.

I will say that I notice once recession hits the doubles seem to come disproportionately and I notice that the only people who ever seem to land on a pay 200 fortune or everyone gets 250 are the poorest players. I estimate that from my experience I will make it three fourths the board in one turn about once out of every 5-7 turns once recession has started.

This trend seems to follow every player as I note that most people have that happen to them during recession with frequency whereas it is very rare when start is above 200.

Just my observations. I don’t believe the computer ever determines a winner before the game is played or that the AI in any way contributes to a player’s victory in some planned fashion.

The dice are controlled by a random number generator script; it is possible to create caveats to that script but no way for a person to influence the rolls in their favor.

It’s not really possible to cheat other than trading.

What you are suggesting is the universe is conspiring against you. While it always feels that way when you are on a skid, pay attention the next win streak you have – I bet your opponents fell the way you do right now.

The game was rigged in your favor.

But the truth is sometimes people get lucky when they take a risk, other times they get burned.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:53 am
MATTIE
Ex Moderator

very well said sauros , kudos . enlightening indeed.

One thing I would like to tell hhhfan, dont quit the game, try altering your style , you have to make sure you play for the bonuses and the whites/ blacks to earn him back the money even if the opponent is -1000 . how do you do it ? when the opp has used up his $$$ go for high income colors like pink/ red / green. Make him buy orange or brown very cheap. Dont quit so easy mate. no one wins everything , thats the beauty of gm. Accept defeat , learn from it , grow from it.

sauros wrote:
But the truth is sometimes people get lucky when they take a risk, other times they get burned.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:35 pm
HHHfan
Moon

well, at the very least i need a good long break. i mean, you all talk about how its random, but im talking about people bidding so much for everything that they end up in the hole well before the recession... and they just keep bidding, and bidding, and go further and further in the hole, but still, by a miracle, they still win.

i mean, if you didnt think that the game was fixed in your favor, would you really bid stuff up to a ridiculeous level, when you were in the hole? no, you are counting on me not hitting anything while u cant bid, and it works, every time. and then, i may hit something finally after they are like a hundred or so out of the hole, then they bid again and go right back in the hole, with no consequences. like i said, i went in the hole before recession once that i remember, and i lost within the round.

anyhow, have fun all, i cant take it anymore and im done, but i think you will find that this seems to be a trend. it was happening in every single game . if you asked me, id think that the programer programed it so that peoples kids could win. i admit that this game is pry supposed to give the impression that it takes skill, but in the end, your skill, or strategy, is only as good as the dice rolled.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:30 am
Jinn
Planetoid

HHHfan wrote:
...if you asked me, id think that the programer programed it so that peoples kids could win. i admit that this game is pry supposed to give the impression that it takes skill, but in the end, your skill, or strategy, is only as good as the dice rolled.

How would he know who to fix the game for?

Just because you hit a skid is no reason to levee such an accusation.

I think a week of no GM would be good for you, let your head clear and let go of the past.

Each game offers a new chance for a victory.

I am approaching my 100th game, I've taken first less than 20% of the time. A lot of times I lose in the way you describe and its frustrating. I sympathize with you.

Don't give up. Don't let someone else take something you enjoy away from you. Everyone gets their lucky game from time to time, be patient you will get yours.

For clarification I am Sauros but will no longer be posting on that account. From now on this will be the only account I use.