Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Announcements, Maintenance and Tournaments Befriend new players reward scheme
      All times are GMT  

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:42 pm
trace567

Post subject: Befriend new players reward scheme Reply with quote

Befriend new players scheme

I have decided to set up a reward scheme for experienced players to help new players. I want to encourage long term players to mix with new players and offer help to get them started.

It is very daunting to be a new player, not knowing how the game works, how to get into a game, initial shock of how the game looks etc etc. New players with a little help become better players more quickly. Also the more welcome they feel, the greater the chance of them staying.

How this will work

For each new player you befriend you will be awarded 1250 points. You may chose any account you own for these points to be placed on. Max. of 3 games per person maybe claimed for per week.

In order to qualify you must:

1) Play at least 1 UNRATED game against a new user.
2) You must give the user helpful tips within that game: eg. How to locate the forum and website. What is available on the website to help them. How to get into a game. Brief explanation of differences from traditional monopoly.

Suggestions of what would help a new player:

1) How to get into a game. Rated/unrated differences.
2) 5x matching rule
3) Introduce your befriended player to other users in the lobby.
4) Explain how to obtain further help if they require it (website, forum, moderators).
5) Tips on how the game differs (start cash decreasing to ec, 20% charge for using credit etc…)

Following details must be provided for points reward.

1) Date and time of game
2) Game must be unrated
3) User name you played under, and new players user name.
On moderator verification you will be awarded the points.

In the event that you find an abusive new player, please report them. If you play a game and they became abusive you will still be rewarded the points for your time and they will be issued a ban.

Any questions let me know Very Happy

Last edited by trace567 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:17 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to be friendly with this one player (i wont say who for privacy) who i thought was a new player b/c i torched um in the 1st game but then in the second game it clearly wasn't a new player b/c they used advanced moves

how are we supose to know if its a new player w/you cant even see everyones top accounts? also, before i knew it wasnt a rookie i was all geared up to get the 1600 pts in the rematch game and started telling um about the forum but then forgot what else had to be done to get the 1600 pts so i came back to the forum and realized it has to be an unrated game....... whats up with that????????? why cant it just be a regular game?

some of the new players might think its fishy why im goin to the extent of being overly nice to a newbie and some ppl dont even like advise.... what if u tell um about the forum n they sign up for the forum n find out about this scheme then think i was just being friendly and nice to get the points they might think its a big sham n get upset n quit Shocked

I guess I dont get 1600 points for trying Sad

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:40 pm
bezma2

I think this is a bad idea to reward players who help new players . I should be a milionare with points if I get 1600 points for every new player i helpt in the past . For me , every realy member of GM shuld do this and for pleasure not for points . Every old member was noob in past and he was help't from some old player in his begginings of playing on GM . For me personaly its always a pleasure to help new players to learn how to play . I dont want any rewards in points . My best reward is when I see that my " noob " become a realy good player and now he is teaching other new players how to play .

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:56 pm
trace567

Well I think I will just quit trying. Seems anything new, or any attempt to try and do something to improve life here will be met with negativity.

I didn't feel this was difficult to understand, you simply ask the player with 1000 or less points if they are new and would like to play. The reason for unrated is so you don't win points off them too.

Yeah would be bloody fantasic if members could be bothered to help new members, but a large number don't.

Why oh why do I bother with this place, seriously?

Nothing but grief from a bunch of players who moan about how things are, but can't even embrace changes positively. I see no point in me wasting anymore of my time with this.
I will stick to nothing more than bog standard moderator work, ie trades, logs, lobby duties.

Good day to all.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:34 pm
Welsh-Leek
Ex Moderator

Why are ppl so negative on this site???
I would love to know ... if you dont like the way things are run here why do you bother to keep coming back, tjhats what i dont understand. Trace is try to be positive here and improve thingsfor all, this scheme she set up, sounds like a great idea to me as by helping new players they will stay and therefore there will be more players on the site at a time, therefore less waiting for a game!

The idea behind Traces suggestion is to help noobs and sometimes a little gift helps ppl... as in this life most DONT DO ANYTHING FOR FREE!!!

so instead of being negative, why not try embraceing Trace attempts at improving the game and the forum.

stop the negativity and come up with some great ideas for her and the mod team to introduce and improve the place.(obvioulsy within reason with the ideas, as we know they cant change the game in any way )

rant over

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK TRACE & TEAM DONT LET THE FEW NEGATIVE PPL GET YOU DOWN!

REGARDS

welshleek aka use-give (new to forum, but been around on game for over 2 years!)

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:19 am
kingfisher
Planetoid

Post subject: Re: Befriend new players reward scheme Reply with quote

its a unrated game

my new acc kdremix Vs beamroc

i teach him and trying to clear his doubts

u can see log
date : 20 sept 2009
time 3:46

if i got 1600 points

i want rewards points in kdremix786 account.

thank u

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:03 am
CPBNH
Planetoid

Trace, I think that is good idea. Do not quit doing great job to improve the game, I mean it for real. I try to help new players as often as I can but this will motivate me to do more and to have more good players in our community.

Cheers!

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:25 pm
trace567

kdremix786 1600 points issued after verification.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:49 pm
trace567

Thank you for the positive posts, yesterday I was feeling rather defeated. My reasons for even trying this are that we do actually get a good number of brand new players each week. But not that many stick around, if they did numbers would go up each week..but they don't. GM is often so different to what they expect that we lose many just because it looks more complicated. As we cannot have the interface altered to offer on screen help, this seems the only alternative.

I also know most players have more than one account, when they create a new account they will likely play very new people. Only they have an advantage because they know what they are doing. Their aim is to get the new account higher as fast as possible and maybe will demoralize new players by beating them so easily in the process.

I also saw one player who had to play new players be incredibly good with them. Being helpful and friendly. I wondered if offering points would then help older members be more patient with a player who hasn't a clue what they are doing. So instead of trying to kill them as fast as possible they could offer them help instead.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Fort
Planet

Wow history repeats itself.

Yes i do not agree to lot of things being done here by Trace / other mods, not that anyone cares about my opinion anyway, but then neither do i care about their disapproval Razz . But out here this was perfect example of how whiners dont leave any opportunity for their sarcastic comments. Trace attempts to get more players to this place where already only few whiners are left to play, besides ofcourse old pals and mods whose numbers can be counted on fingers. History repeats itself.

But no, why should trace succeed in something which others could not think of or tried in past. Why should the game get more people when all it will do is to undermine the voice of oldies ! Why should we depart from the traditions. We got to oppose the changes at any cost. ... History repeats itself.

On the other hand trace, what i can see from this place in last one years' post is even constructive criticism is highly censored. Wish i can see the days of toyster/bill 's modding again. Probably i m asking for the moon. But wait may be, history will repeat itself.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:54 pm
bezma2

I dont think I was so negative or i was moaning with this . Trace , I respect your work here but , every time I put a post or my opinion . for you Iam negative . I wonder why is that . I put here only my opinion of what i think about this , thats all . Is this something wrong . And did my post stopt you for give points to this player here . no .
And Welsh-Leek , maby for you my post sounds negative but I will be thankfull if you read the post and than make conclusions , ok . Many of players on GM was my students and many of them are now good players . I did it for free and Iam proud for that .

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 am
kingfisher
Planetoid

its a unrated game

my new acc Helping_new_players Vs Achievement

i teach him and solve his problem also

u can see log
date : 22 sept 2009
time 1.35

if i got 1600 points

i want rewards points in kdremix786 account.

thank u

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:54 pm
trace567

Game checked, 1600 points given to kdremix786.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 pm
trace567

Alteration made to top post, please read:

How this will work

For each new player you befriend you will be awarded 1250 points. You may chose any account you own for these points to be placed on. Max. of 3 games per person maybe claimed for per week.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:12 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

I think this is an awesome idea trace.

granted, i wish people would help new players of their own free will without hope of reward, but incentive is nice.

just a word of advice for people who want the game to improve in many different ways.... DO THIS IDEA!

if you do this as much as you can (though it is annoying at times), the game will become a lot more popular, a lot more competitive, and a lot more fun overall. with an influx of new players, the growth rate of GM will slowly but surely increase until word of mouth is all that is needed to promote the game more and more.

keep up the good work trace Very Happy