Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Suggestions What we can do, what we can't do....idea's welcome
      All times are GMT  

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:59 pm
trace567

Post subject: What we can do, what we can't do....idea's welcome Reply with quote

Unfortunately the chances of changes to the actual software are extremely unlikely.

However, here is a list of what we can change, and what we can't. Please give any idea's you may have for feasible changes we actually could make.

What we can't change

1) Anything related to the way the game looks, or plays.

2) The 5x matching system

3) The showing of users top account

4) No changes to the interface, the programming etc etc.

5) The banning system etc

What we would be able to change

1) Competitions and tournaments. Set up, style, times, etc. (You will have noticed that Sim has been working in this area in offering different types of competition.)

2) The forum - As in trying to get more players onto the forum.Any workable idea's you may have...post away. Such as forum competitions, off topic subjects etc

3) Advertising (on a small scale). As we (the moderators) do not own GM we are limited here. Example of what is possible http://www.galacticmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=36855#36855

Even if we could advertise on a very big scale without Kreso, we could run into problems of the site being unable to cope with a massive influx of new players.

The above is just a guide to help you know what sort of things we could change....all idea's welcome.

All of you are our valued players, and we really do want to hear any idea's you have, even if its to say I don't like x.

Thanks

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Post subject: Reply with quote

why wont kreso give someone access to the site which allows for tweaks of the forum design. this is the same flippin design as 4 yrs ago

this forum design is so out of date its not even in the options of forum designs anymore through the company that designed it

http://www.phpbb.com/

people like to see new stuff...... maybe if there was a slight redesign it would spark some of the older players interest if they ever came back and get ppl talking b/c right now is dead here

i know ppl talk with kreso so im curious is this really just b/c he has no time to make changes, he won't let ne one have the access to make changes or he does not want anything to change at all b/c he thinks is not necessary

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:28 pm
Welsh-Leek
Ex Moderator

YAHOOOO,
Do you not take in what the moderators say, Dont you think if they could change/improve things they would, at the end of the day they are the ones who put the time and effort in to this game , and for what NO PAY AT ALL, at it also seems no gratitude from the players either.
There is no point going on about things they cant change and just wasting there time. Instead why dont you think of things that they can change, I would like to hope your trying to improve GM and not just annoy the mods.

welshleek AKA use-give

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:40 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Welshleek,

its yaaahoooo not yahoooo

fyi im not the only person who's brought up these points and im just curious on the questions I posed

she did say and I quote

trace567 wrote:
we really do want to hear any idea's you have, even if its to say I don't like x.
Thanks

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:51 pm
trace567

Request has been heard, at the current time I don't know what we can change forum look, design etc wise, will look into it.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:52 pm
Welsh-Leek
Ex Moderator

HI mod team , one thing I would like to suggest is ... to put on the forum what will get you an instant ban and what will get you point reduction and also what will get you a warning , this way its all there in black and white and people are more than aware then, if they can be bothered to read the forums that is.
obviouly the list would not be conclusive, but in general it will give players some guidelines to think about. An update on this would be both beneficail to players and moderators I feel.

Hope my suggestiobn helps

welshleek aka use-give

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:50 pm
trace567

I have added a sticky to complaint section related to bans. It is not realistically possible to give precise guidelines on lengths as it very much relates to severity, duration, previous instances etc etc.

Prior to becoming a moderator I asked for a guideline as well, only now working as a moderator I understand why this was not done. Each ban duration is based on the extent, severity etc, and as we cannot issue the logs for every complaint I don't want to get arguments started by players that so and so did x and only got x ban when the two cases may be quite different when viewed in logs, yet the complaint made by a player may look similar.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:41 pm
Welsh-Leek
Ex Moderator

HEY TRACE, just had a read of the sticky regarding bans, that sounds great at least now EVERYONE who can be bothered to read the forum will now understand the BASICS that bans and the criteria. Hopefully ppl will now think before they end up in a ban situation.

One more question I have is about auctions, as players can use this at the end of them game and it can not be classed as cheating. But say U can see the player is deliberately auctioning propertys to immprove thier game or someone elses in games regularly would this occur a warning or some sort of penalty Question

welshleek aka use-give

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 pm
trace567

Welsh-Leek wrote:

One more question I have is about auctions, as players can use this at the end of them game and it can not be classed as cheating. But say U can see the player is deliberately auctioning propertys to immprove thier game or someone elses in games regularly would this occur a warning or some sort of penalty Question
welshleek aka use-give

Auctions are a very grey area. We have limited power to resolve auction disputes/arguments. The only time we would seriously intervene would be in a tournament setting.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

Welsh-Leek wrote:
HEY TRACE, just had a read of the sticky regarding bans, that sounds great

I have no significant comment on the sticky since i do not comment on bans anymore in fears of being banned myself.... except i wlll say this, i just wish 1st offenders were issued bans ranging from 1-5 days not 5-10 days or given warnings instead of immediate bans. finally, i haven't seen any posts directly addressing mod ban abuse/ban discrimination and assurance this will not take place ever again as I know for a fact there have been cases of mod ban abuse in the past as mods have the opportunity based on this:

trace567 wrote:

Moderators may not always place the exact same duration as the next moderator. We are human and so therefore will not always interpret in the same way.

How can players be assured mod ban abuse resulting from mod power trips or otherwise will not take place ever again?

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:17 am
Welsh-Leek
Ex Moderator

Bill2k06 wrote:
and if i see, fort, mia, or anyone getting annoyed by you again , i will impose the ban straight away, because when i come on the forum (which isnt often at the moment) all i see is your undermining of mod positions and seeing you send me the same PM, i will NOT unban you for any reason,

just seems you like to bring up old posts7s yahooo , i came across this from some time ago... seems like you still like to undermine mods , so just thought id bring it up . something for you to think about

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:22 am
CYN
Admin
Admin

Post subject: YAAAHOOOO Reply with quote

You are doing it again yahoo and not only bill warned you way back but trace just warned you/everyone that this kind of post would earn you a ban. I have not been on very much lately so i will leave it up to trace but as i see it you didnt heed her warning.

ITS ALL GOOD

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:15 pm
trace567

I know there not being posted on this thread. But I just wanna say thank you to YAAAHOOOO and Kdremix (kingfisher) for their tournament ideas. This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted. Players bringing new idea's that we can actually work with.

Brilliant stuff. Thanks guys.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:59 pm
Jinn
Planetoid

Here are a few suggestions for the forums:

Place a breadcrumb link at the bottom of pages.
Allow user names to function as links to their profile.
Give us more profile options and the ability to display a unique image there. Other ideas for profiles include, notes section, personal info section and perhaps some form of friend list. It would also be great if we could tie our in-game account to our profile to display statistical data.

Change the format from board --> topic to topic --> board. Just more fluid in my view.

Institute a Karma system that allows users to help keep the community clean. As a stopgap against abuse make a requirement at least 50 posts and limit giving out karma to one point (+/-) per day.

Disable HTML completely, a good hacker can cripple the website if you let them use HTML.

Just a few quick ideas.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:00 pm
trace567

On the topic of the forum. I don't at the moment know what is and isn't possible to change. I need to talk to Bill about it.

On some things we are stuck with what the board design by the company who create it allow.