Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion player bans
      All times are GMT  

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

Post subject: player bans Reply with quote

Hello,

I am writing this post to request for a review of player bans. It seems the number of players being banned is excessive which may have resulted in many lost players over the years. Is it possible to calculate how many players total have been banned and how many of these players never returned to play another game after their ban?

Also, can it please be identified if players are being banned before even given warnings? Or are players being banned when no one besides moderators are making a complaint against the player? For instance do moderators review all conversation logs in the forum and games and if they see inappropriate language the player gets banned without warning?

Likely many of these banned players were very emotionally involved in the game and for this they may have been long term players if not for the bans. If they exhibit so much emotion to get banned it could be they have stronger emotion for the game and these are players it would be ashamed for the game to loose if the players emotions could have been channelled in a positive manner with a good talking to and ban warnings only.

Thank you,
Ban advocate

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

FACT: There are fewer bans being issued than 12-18 months ago. If you wish me to waste my time giving you exact numbers month by month for a year you will then find complaints section will get ignored, as I do not have time for counting games and everyday complaints.

FACT: Few bans issued exceed 30 days. Within those 30 days length the ban is based on the following:

1) Previous shorter bans
2) Degree of abusiveness
3) Amount of cheat trading (bans are longer if the player conducted more than 1 cheat trade in a game, as this proves the trading was no accident or in other games within a 24/48 hour period)
4) Warning maybe issued as and when possible or when appropriate. As players do not have email accounts registered to their game names we cannot issue warning in this way.

If a ban exceeds 30 days it is because:
The degree and nature of abuse was so bad that we cannot put other players or the game at risk.
Previous bans have not worked to change behaviour.

If a player gets a 5 day ban and then refuses to return this is not our problem. Short bans are issued to provide players a few days away to rethink how they use GM.

Some bans are issued from checking chat logs, or by players directly approaching a moderator in the lobby.

If there were more active moderators there would be a higher number of bans, because more people would report directly to a moderator, and logs would be checked more thoroughly.

Now think about this, for every abusive player, how many players do we lose? If a player suffers abuse and or games ruined by cheat trading I can tell you now we lose more players through this than we lose from banning.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:31 pm
trace567

There are currently 30 players banned.

2 made by cyn
7 made by bill2k06
1 made by sim
6 still active from when xcite was a moderator
14 made by me (please bare in mind I am online everyday for usually 5-6 hours where as other moderators are online less. I also deal with the complaints section)

Is 30 people on bans really that high considering we are dating all the way back to 2008-06-08 for active bans?

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:46 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

trace567 wrote:

If a player gets a 5 day ban and then refuses to return this is not our problem. Short bans are issued to provide players a few days away to rethink how they use GM.

Some bans are issued from checking chat logs, or by players directly approaching a moderator in the lobby.

If there were more active moderators there would be a higher number of bans, because more people would report directly to a moderator, and logs would be checked more thoroughly.

Now think about this, for every abusive player, how many players do we lose? If a player suffers abuse and or games ruined by cheat trading I can tell you now we lose more players through this than we lose from banning.

This is the premise and focal point of of the original post.... excessive numbers of these short term bans, if there really are many, the attitudes towards them and how they're handled. The numbers provided are for players on active bans and it is believed several of these players are serving long term bans. Therefore, few conclusions about short term bans can be ascertained from this information. Unless of the 30 players the ones on shorter bans are tracked to see if they actually return. Any idea if any of the ban posts in the complaints forum were deleted? If not I'll review how many short term bans have been issued over the years and the situations involved.

Tnx,
Ban advocate

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 pm
trace567

YAAAHOOOO3 gawd almighty, your be wanting blood next!!!

I'll tell you what, behave your self and prove your stability and apply to bill2k06 for mod ship. You can then give your brain a workout going through all the moderator access dissecting it as you please.

Many of the active bans are repeat offenders who were previously banned, they came back and continued the abusive behaviour.

All the active bans by Bill2k06 and Xcite are lengthy bans for extreme abusive behaviour.

The following players currently serving bans issued by ME are all players have been previously banned before:

battle77
joaomcm
britter
xx-bin-laden-xx
tips
itsspookyhere
j-o-k-e-r
gamezmaster
miqdadi
fugo
omniownage

so 11 out of 14 are repeat offenders, what does this tell us?

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

Understanding so called repeat offenders does delve into
the topic. Review of the actual process of a ban and this
processes actual effectiveness is of question due to these
repeat offenders. If a player is simply banned without
any further intervention besides the ban itself......
then...... a ban and the existing ban process maybe
entirely ineffective.

This is where the main question of this post lies......
the intervention before bans and the ban process especially
as it relates to short term bans and their outcome on
players returning from their ban. For this I'll turn to the
post archives.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:53 pm
trace567

Our responsibility is to the large majority of players who are decent people who don't go round abusing others or the trade system ruining others experience here.

What I believe the figures show is that a large number of banned users don't change from bans, therefore maybe we are not issuing long enough bans!!!
Thus wasting moderators time and causing upset to many innocent players.

Thank you for raising the ban subject and having me look over 1000 entries of bans. You have helped me to feel less guilty when I do issue a 30 day ban, since the numbers show most will still be back causing problems.

Thanks YAAAHOOOO3 you have actually made me feel much better. I don't enjoy banning players, but now I think I will feel less guilty about 30 day bans or when players try to defend those who abuse GM.

Cheers Very Happy

Just to add the 3 other banned users by me:
1 on on a max ban and was authorized by Bill2k06
2 it appears their first ban, 1 for racist user name, other for extreme abusive chat.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Welcome....

Glad to advocate for any banned player any day.

Wait does this mean there have been over 1000 banned players?

trace567 wrote:
over 1000 entries of bans.

Since, as you say, players do not change from ban to ban..... and come back with the same disposition as before their bans..... then you're right the ban processes, whatever it is, maybe entirely ineffective and might be due for a complete overhaul to include other intervention techniques. The key word here is other intervention techniques.

tnx,
President of Banned GM Players Advocates

Last edited by YAAAHOOOO3 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:05 am
trace567

Keep on dreaming.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 am
YAAAHOOOO3

This is for real.....

It is the belief of the banned player advocates that proper intervention techniques, sufficient warnings instead of immediate bans and overhaul of other ban processes will result in fewer banned players, shorter and more effective bans, fewer repeat offenders and minimize the effect of bans on otherwise very dedicated players who do not return only because of their bans.

It is greatly in moderator advantage and to help the growth of the GM player base to study this in further detail as it can easily make the job easier with less work in the future. Congrads on 700 posts btw

Tnx,
President of Banned and Fmr. Banned Players Advocates Worldwide

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 am
CYN
Admin
Admin

Post subject: YAHOO Reply with quote

Yahoo i dont know where you are going with this but it takes enough time to do the job we do to not have to justify our rulings to you.
GM is a free site where you can play if you wish. Mods are not paid and make the best judgments on the facts we see and will continue to do so.
Again it is a free site with unpaid mods, so your intervention that you are so high on, go ahead and intervene and talk with the banned players if you want.
You are expecting too much from a free site and with your ridiculous requests for past info to do study.
The info is in the posts for the complaints that were addressed, do your own study if it trips your trigger but dont waste trace's time answering your unrealistic requests for info.
You are welcome to play and enjoy GM. If you do not like the way the site is run or how the mods make decisions then that is on you and it is your choice whether to play here or not.
We do our best and you are initiating subjects which you are free to do, but dont expect any mods to waste their time digging through the past to get you info.

ITS ALL GOOD

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:19 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Post subject: player bans Reply with quote

CYN why you chimed in with your 2 cents or why your post is so personal against me and my ideas which do have basis is beyond me

For christs sake your post had the main subject line of my username...... the subject of my post here is player bans...... please take note

I'm not trying to undermind the excelent work the moderators are doing... im only reviewing the ban processes and their effects on players and seeing if the processes are tweaked in anyway how this may benefit the game

Anyways like I said after Trace's replies:

YAAAHOOOO3 wrote:
For this I'll turn to the
post archives.

I am doing my own research from this point on after Trace was so kind as to provide the info she could.....tnx trace

So unless you want too help pls lets refrain from the attacks

Thank you,
Ban Advocate

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:10 pm
CYN
Admin
Admin

Post subject: subject was you Reply with quote

the subject of my post was you that is why it was labeled with your user name.
I spoke with Trace about your requests and all your other posts lately.
You seem displeased with how the game is being run and how bans are being implemented. They are implemented at our best judgment and your post stating you feel they are ineffective and need to be tweaked because you see too many being issued was taken as we need to justify our actions.
i am happy to hear you recognize the work the mods do.

ITS ALL GOOD

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:53 pm
YAAAHOOOO3

I didn't even finish reading your post b/c it doesnt even appear you read mine...... i am not displeased with how the game is run

this is what I said

YAAAHOOOO3 wrote:

I'm not trying to undermind the excelent work the moderators are doing... im only reviewing the ban processes and their effects on players and seeing if the processes are tweaked in anyway how this may benefit the game

interpret as you wish but please is it possible to not write a post attacking me personally?....... its very simple actually...... all it takes is leaving out any I, you, we, me, she, he, names etc and focus on the original topic. i challenge to do this

ok good luck,
Ban advocate

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:07 pm
Yiles
Moon

It must a a very lonely life when all you have to fill your day is to be a constant nuisance on a message board

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”