Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Suggestions Jail - with or without profit?
      All times are GMT  

Should players get profit from monopolies, extractors and utilities when in jail?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
No (as it is now)
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:22 pm
Kreso
Game Developer

Post subject: Jail - with or without profit? Reply with quote

This poll is about the new rule which is already active in the game: when a player is in jail, he does not receive profits from monopolies, extractors and utilities.

Old rule was that players, when in jail, do receive all profits as normal.

So do you like the old rule better or not?

Last edited by Kreso on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:28 pm
Fort
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that player should not receive rent when in jail. Very much so.

But for 3 turns, its too much a long period, particularly in 5P game where salary reduces by 25 on an average by the time u come out. I will sure prefer it to be 2 turns.

What my example was illustrating was a situation when player goes into jail from 1st fortune or when he rolls 3rd double while on yellow or orange. In essence if a player goes to jail while he is in 1st quarter of board it hardly matters. This is coz by going to jail u r "auto traveling" 3/4th board. u will anyway travel something like 3/4th board in 3 turns. Does not make any difference. So may be 2/1 turn skip instead of jail makes more sense. If u introduce it then may be u can make jail 1 turn.

In anycase 3 turns in jail are a bit too much.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:41 am
boogaboo
Moon

I voted yes, but it would be quite ok even if not.. as long as it is 2 turns only.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:26 am
aussie
Ex Moderator

I think whilst in prison the player should not receive any income at all.......including bonuses..... I feel prison is still a saving grace.......take away all benefits whilst in prison........make prison the punishment it should be ..............thats my opinion

aussie

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:58 am
zaxtheman
Planetoid

how about recieving only 50 %

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:22 pm
jonjonny
Moon

lol thats what i was thinking

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:17 pm
Fort
Planet

Well i think no profit while in jail is good. Reason is when salary is positive, for more than half of time there is no upgrades done yet (So no question of rents). When its EC u cant expect to earn rent while staying in air conditioned prison.

Just that it needs to be 2 turns which we will have by next week.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:14 pm
raghav11
Moon

lol...jons points have taken a dip since the new rule..

well even i feel it should be made half of the monopolies or extractors,utilities u own

or 2 turns in jail either way

Sun May 20, 2007 4:44 am
NiceGuy
Planetoid

Post subject: I disagree Reply with quote

Jail was bad enough as it is when someone landed on it... now the person is even more unlucky when they land on it...

In my opinion, this change makes it even more a luck based game than it was before... When the person is in jail, he/she already doesn't get to pass go...

You could change it so that ...

if (m_bRecession)
{
GameManager* pGameManager = GetGameManager();
pGameManager->SetNoProfitInJail(true);
}

that might be ok.. but right now it is an incredible luck fest.

Thu May 24, 2007 8:32 am
Magflag
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Yes I am back Reply with quote

Ok, I just tried out the new version for the first time, and I was suprised...

I would have to say that by eliminating profit while in jail, you are also eliminating a lot of 'luck' elements to the game... Which I do believe that was and is one of the objectives of Galactic Magnate v.s. Monopoly...

Before, when the paycheck was negative, and you were paying 300+ to pass go, you prayed to land on jail, and my friends when you are praying, you are praying for a fortunate result; luck...

On the other hand, if your playing a 5p game, like some have said before me, you litarly get screwed up the rear-end when you land in jail, even if the paycheck is negative, therefore, your opponents are getting lucky each time you land in jail, which evens out the playing field...

For those of you who argued for the non-profit jail time and justified it through it leveled itself out during the negative paycheck era, either way... its leveling it out through the luck aspect from both ends of the spectrum...

I'm not for sure, but I am going to vote for a half profit or a reduced jailtime... Or better yet I am advocating a half profit throughout the entire game, with a reduced jailtime during the negative era... make sense?

Fri May 25, 2007 12:25 am
NiceGuy
Planetoid

I disagree Magflag... A lot of the luck elements are eliminated perhaps after recession, but before recession, those who land in jail are already at a disadvantage with not getting to pass go, but now they also receive no income either. I really don't see how it is not an even bigger pitfall now to land in jail before recession (while the income is quite high).

Fri May 25, 2007 6:32 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

jail the way it is i find is luck reducing for the person who goes to jail but not for those who stay out.
in the last week alone, in 4 different games i counted myself going in jail 11 times in one game, 8 another, 12 in 3rd game and only 2 times in the 4th. apart from the 4th game i lost mainly because of my appearances in jail early on in the game, but yet my opponents havent gone to jail that much.

i know luck changes constantly but it seems like the game has got a vendetta against me lately , i just cant seem to get lucky even noobs are coming close to beating me

Fri May 25, 2007 10:05 pm
carrieann06
Star

personally i like the way the game is it gives everyone a chance!

Sat May 26, 2007 3:11 pm
MadMACS
Moon

I think that the length of time in jail depends on the time of the game, and the number of players.

In a 2p or even 3p game, not "so" much happens in 3 turns, that it might be worth it to sit there to avoid paying start money in EC. But in 4p or 5p game, 3 turns is an eternity and you'll usually lose much more money than you saved by not passing start.

I understand that going to prison is a "penalty", not a bonus, but I think that someone who lands in prison multiple times is severely disadvantaged in the late stages of the game.

Perhaps, before EC, 3 turns, but after EC, 2 turns. And before EC, no rent, but after EC 50% rent.
Otherwise, someone unlucky enough to go to jail time after time (especially if someone else has green fully upgraded) is bound to lose in EC, and there isn't much they can do about it.

I think Jail is still a major "luck" factor, and lessening the penalty (either fewer turns or 1/2 rent) will make it less lucky for everyone else.
It's not that you're lucky you went there, it's that everyone else is lucky you're there. They get a free pass on your properties for three turns.

My $0.02,
MadMACS

Sun May 27, 2007 3:54 am
NiceGuy
Planetoid

I think what the majority of the "no rent in jail" people are saying is that this feature is extremely useful *after* recession...

I think that would be the best of both worlds... No rent in jail after recession... since the person that landed in jail is now lucky for landing in it.