Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy Luck vs Skill
      All times are GMT  

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08 pm
sim5
Planet

Post subject: Luck vs Skill Reply with quote

Is luck more important than skill in this game

I have noticed some players are not happy sometimes with the outcome from this game. Confused
Some players often feel they were in better position in a particular game & should have won easily but the end result show they have end up on a losing side. Sad

So should i ask people if luck more important than skill in this game. Question

According to me most naturally occurring situations, success depends on both skill and luck.
Luck is just as important as skill in life.

What you'll find is that much of winning in this game, after you've learned much of the strategy, comes down to a battle with yourself.
This is why most players end up losing. They may know what a good strategy is, but implementing it is something completely different.
I am sure - "right strategy can reduce the risk and increase the winning probability...Smile".

I've been fortunate that i have done well in this game, and I'd like to attribute that to my skill as a player. Wink
But at the same time, I understand that winning more & more games isn't purely a question of skill; it requires some luck, too.
What is important to remember is that good players can create their own luck.
For example, you can create good rolls for yourself and less for opponent simply by taking more oppertunity with some thoughts & risks and putting yourself in better positions on the board.
Having a maximum amount of knowledge about the game and particular strategies that can be played out,helps go a long way in determining your own luck in this game .
Sometimes,people feel so unlucky while playing but if they do not lose their hopes and beliefs,they can be successful Smile

This game is different from other online monopoly games because the throwing of the dice is the only random element in the process.
However, the skill factor comes in when you need to decide how to move and react to the numbers on those dice.
When we look at all the facts, we can safely say that in this game u need combine elements of skill and luck .

To be honest i dont really believe in luck as such apart from the fact of wishing someone good luck as a nice gesture in game. Wink
I believe in postive actions & skill,as luck will let u down more often than skills.
By relying on luck,ur leaving things to chance,but with better skills you are increasing the chance of you getting the outcome u want.

To achieve success In this game,luck is an important factor but it is not the vital ingredient. Idea

You are lucky if you know that it is not about luck Cool

No expectations, no disappointments.

Last edited by sim5 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:21 pm
diron
Moon

Post subject: luck Reply with quote

well for me luck is important just for not getting dc lol.
thats all that I ask from the luck , all other luck i dont really care!

Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:05 pm
lotta1980
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

In 4/5 games as I always say .......
30% strategy , 30% luck , 30% trades ..... 10% didnt find it yet , but I feel of it.....

Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:22 pm
aussie
Ex Moderator

so tell me sim what are you saying?

are you saying you are the only one who know how to use strategy?

and that you are the only one with skill?

if a person can win a 5p as did joeblogs WITHOUT ( he bought nothing) any property with around 7k cash when the board is fully loaded what do you call that? skill??? luck?? strategy?

and when a person has both pink and green with both fully upgraded and loses anyway... what do you call that??

and when your opponent goes to prison every time they get near your props esp pink (14 times) what do you call that??

and hits the black between yellow almost every lap what do you call that???

no matter how much skill you have or how good your strategy is
luck can make or break you

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:40 am
sim5
Planet

helen just relax & be Very Happy

No expectations, no disappointments.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 am
judd
Planet

sim5 wrote:
helen just relax & be Very Happy

haha, funny sim Cool

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Jinn
Planetoid

Honestly I think luck plays a significant role in the game, however, the impact of that luck is greatly influenced by the players.

I played a game a while ago where the guy with the most cash had two greens and nothing else. The rest of the board was being upgraded and the three of us all had little money (but all upgrading).

Another player landed on the green with start above 200 and auctioned it. The closets person to the guy with green was 2k under him. He bought green with enough to fully upgrade and have cash left over.

He crushed us all.

I wouldn't call that skill.

Conversely I have spent many a game with two sets of two only to never land on the last property and no one auctioned for me. Does that mean I had a bad strategy? Does that mean I am not lucky?

I seem to have streaks of just horrible luck. It doesn't seem to matter what I buy. I once had orange, brown, cyan and blue all upgraded and still took fourth in a four player game. I thought my strategy was a pretty solid one. Being the slum lord usually pays off. That game they would all consistently miss mine while I would hit red, purple then green every single pass.

To say luck is not part of the game is unreasonable. To say its a game of luck is unreasonable.

Luck is a factor. I believe skill is the greater factor.

Then again, some say luck is a skill.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:09 am
Yiles
Moon

Quote:

Then again, some say luck is a skill.

Jinn, your last statement is Zen-like

Kudos to you

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am
Yiles
Moon

Quote:
and when a person has both pink and green with both fully upgraded and loses anyway...

Been there done that

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:02 pm
trace567

Luck is a factor. Luck can make or break you in a game.

But there is less luck in GM I think than standard monopoly, because almost every action has a consequence. It's seeing the action - consequence before taking the action that makes a big difference.

In the words of Kreso himself on the galacticmag.com front page

Quote:
Galactic Magnate is a free game that merges several gaming concepts. Game basics are similar to the classic board game, monopoly. However, the rules of Galactic Magnate are made to minimize the impact of luck, so the game outcome is almost totally dependent on players' choices. This makes Galactic Magnate very similar to strategy games.

Having played now for well, too long lol...I 100% believe his words are totally accurate.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:58 pm
aussie
Ex Moderator

when players do cheat trades

no amount of skill or luck will help then

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:26 am
YAAAHOOOO3

lord another post dug up from the recyle bin Rolling Eyes

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:34 am
theunknownamus

Haven't you heard? Everyone's going green. Its the lastest trend. Razz Smile

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:54 am
YAAAHOOOO3

lord maybe in europe or where your at but in LA theres still plenty of a smog layer and plenty of hummers to go around

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:30 pm
BrownSandwich
Planetoid

Luck is by far your best asset. My skill is negligible, i win all my games by luck.