Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion please discuss if this is a dictatorship??
      All times are GMT  

is the game and forum run like a dictatorship?
yeh it needs sorting NOW!!!
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Yeh but i like it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NO its just right
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
NO but some decisions need to be made differently
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:52 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

Post subject: please discuss if this is a dictatorship?? Reply with quote

hi guys please will you discuss the problem crabby has brought up ,
will you please discuss if the game and forum is a dictatorship?
there is no right nor wrong answers , this is an OPEN message and nothing will come of this only positive actions,.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:57 am
Magflag12
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make a comment.

I would say that it is similar to a dictatorship, but lacks a few characteristics to actually be called one.

Firstly, dictatorship does not mean it is bad.

Secondly, this system also is similar to an oligarchy in which few have power, but on the other hand Bill is certainly the head of the system.

I would like to say that I was the 1 who put no, but some decisions need to be made differently.

Technically speaking this is not a dictatorship, but has enough characteristics to where we could see the need for some different decisions (for all mods as a whole, along with community as a whole).

I hope you all take that for what it is, and not as a rebellious message.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:41 am
Yiles
Moon

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:53 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

i too, voted for decisions to be made differently

Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 pm
aussie
Ex Moderator

do i think its a dictatorship,? no, i feel its necessary to rule this site with an iron fist.

there must be one person to make the final decision (be it right or wrong ) otherwise chaos would rule.

BUT when an idea is being considered which will affect the whole gm community we should be encouraged to put forward any thoughts we may have on the matter

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:49 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

that is something i have always tried to do trace,
as for husky or fort in the past , reason , sometimes has been bypassed in search of a ruling made by husky or fort, ad i try to be more diplomatic with reason , and search of everyones answers,.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:01 pm
MrCrabbs

I think my point is that we should not trust in your benevolence, but rather insist that you make decisions openly and allow them to be called into question, so that we can besure our interests are served. And that the place for this openness is the forum.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:53 pm
ingeras
Moon

I dont think it is a dictatoryship , i agree with Helen in all what she said.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling,but in rising every time we fall...(Confucius)

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 pm
Magflag12
Moon

Quote:
do i think its a dictatorship,? no, i feel its necessary to rule this site with an iron fist.

there must be one person to make the final decision (be it right or wrong ) otherwise chaos would rule.

Yep, thats the white man's attitude in South Africa, 'ruling with an iron fist'. What a great model to look at for running our own little country.

Anyway, the thing is not all Dictatorships are bad, so the problem with the first statement helen made was that she said that this was NOT a dictatorship, but then went on to say it was necessary? That doesn't make sense.

This is, in a sense, a dictatorship, but a benevolent dictator listens to his people before making the final rule. Bill has done a good job of that in the past, but we should always keep an eye out on all mods so that dictatorship does not become tyrannical.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:32 am
aussie
Ex Moderator

dont you understand stupid?? its an online game things cant be done the same way as in rl

i make as much sense as you do in your ramblings on about nothing

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:38 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

I think that Bill's track record of reliability and good leadership is outstanding. In this, we can rely; however, we do need to keep Bill and the other mods (including me) open and honest in all situations. No one is infallible, and for this reason we must always be keeping leaders accountable.

I do not say this to knock down Bill in any way, because I really respect the way that he handles issues within GM. But I do think that the forum should be a medium for all players to express their views. Whatever we can do to make the forum a better medium for this purpose, we must do. Should mods make inappropriate decisions of any kind, this will be the place to call them out. This will be the place for the "people" of the "country" of GM to express their needs and wants.

This game is full of intelligent players with genuinely intelligent ideas to make this game run more smoothly and achieve maximum community and enjoyment. The forum is of utmost importance, and this is the way that leaders should be held accountable. I believe the hierarchy of leadership in GM works well, but every time it slips (such as when Judd had a mishap), the forum should hold up the integrity of GM as a whole.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:50 am
aussie
Ex Moderator

when i first started playing there were no active mods .. it was terrible.

day after day there was a group of people who thought it was fun to come to gm and hurl filth at whoever was online at the time

bill worked hard for months and stopped them.

i trust and respect bill for he has proved himself over a long period of time.
i do not automatically give my respect and trust to anyone, it has to be earnt...

as for current mods... palabra and trace are doing just fine imo

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:03 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

h helen how i remember them days of them fools,
they were very very dark days on GM and hope we never experiance them , as kreso has given me and other mods more power to kick and ban these fools as soon as they start

but i see josephd123 is back

i hope he has grown up , and i respect him if he has even after the amount of shit he caused

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:12 am
Magflag12
Moon

Yes I understand what you mean by 'iron fist' but I think that word is too emotionally heated. To me, and a lot of other players, it can imply a leadership in which does not have its ears tuned to its people. In that case 'iron fist' would be a very negative thing.

I think a better word to use would be 'firm guidance' so that it suggests a stern justice system, but does not suggest a closed earhole of a leader.

The current system is not 'iron fisted' and is very firmly guided. Bill does a good job of being consistent and listening, as shown evidence to this topic. Any leader will admit when he is wrong and Bill has shown his grace by doing that.

I was just encouraging him to continue doing so in the future.

I remember non-mod days as well and I do remember them as dark. But I think a world where there is no leader and a world where the leader is tyrannical are both equally dark. Bill should lead us in a way that is in the middle and keeps our days bright, as he has been doing so far.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 am
MrCrabbs

He has had the odd lapse though:

Bill2k06 wrote:
there is one player on this game that oozes credibility and respect from other players and that is ME.

Bill2k06 wrote:
well.
i get most dedicated????

hmm

kind of thanks ,

kind of hmmmm

i thought maybe , most widely respected might have been my tag ??

thanks for the topic though/

Bill2k06 wrote:
any more slander against me misusing my powers and i will ask another modto look into and give you another ban.

Bill2k06 wrote:
i do believe many will think i am a criminal abusing mod powers, but what you all must understand, ALL, and i do mean ALL my decisions are run by Kreso, and he DOES agree with everything i am in the process of doing.
- But yet no sign of Kreso!