Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Reasons to be bitter, 123.
      All times are GMT  

Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:18 pm
MrCrabbs

Post subject: Reasons to be bitter, 123. Reply with quote

So, I made a post grumbling about a trade in the final, a final I lost. The more information that comes to light, the more it seems I was just plain wrong, and the more it sounds like sour grapes.

What can I say? I had a bad GM 24 hours.

Reasons to be bitter, 123:

- On Saturday I learn that the clocks in the UK are to go forward by an hour. I mail the tournament organiser to ensure there is no confusion about the start time.

- Sunday - wake up, go to the tourny 5 minutes before time. It has already started, and hour early. Trace refuses to tell me what the tournament room is, Bill takes some persuading that he has started the tournament early.

- Good news, tournament is to be restarted. Bad news, shouts of "unfair" from the winners of the first games means they all get through anyway.

- First match, and Ingeras is given a wild card despite losing her game just played, becase we need a 4th player.

- Good news, I win that match, bad news, ingeras is through. My nightmare scenario of playing in a match with ingeras and sim is a step closer - I have lost to them repeatedly in the last two weeks. Indeed, about half my defeats in 4/5 over that period are accounted for by games where both sim and ingeras are playing.

- Semis, and Bill quits from a game where I need a trade with him, because after 2 minutes of negotiation he hasn't got his way. I am left in trouble, but make it through.

- In the lobby afterwards, and Trace is investigating a trade i made in that game, and I am forced to explain why it wasn't a cheat. This is not satisfactory, and rather than being told "ok it was not a cheat", a question mark is left hanging over it, to be decided after the tourny.

- So, I go into the final knowing that if I get any points there is a good chance I will be stripped of them for what was a fair trade. Not a great position to be in. Worse news, the nightmare scenario of being in a final with ingeras and sim has come true.

- The final: Sim won't give me a trade unless I sell him my mother into the bargain. Firtunately, I outmanouver him so that he is in financial trouble. I let him waste his money on yellow, since ingeras is going for red and wouldn't want yellow (surely?!?!).

- Nope, sim sells it for 1700, a profit of 1000 or so in the space of 2 minutes. I am in trouble, but there are trade options with matthew, and sim if he will stop demanding I sell my mother.

- I spend a bit getting together some decent props for a trade with matthew. This puts me a little behind him on money, but now we can trade and both move ahead of sim.

- Nope, matthew has settled for 3rd, knowing that under the new rules there's no points for 4th. All trades are refused. Sim still offering peanuts, and demanding blood.

- I lose, becoming the first player to make it to enjoy zero points for making it to the final. I lost s sim/ingeras combo, as I knew I would, and despite ingeras going out in the first round.

So, I am annoyed. So sue me.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt life a *****

Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:29 am
MrCrabbs

Yeah, sometimes so am I! Apologies for anyone that got on the wrong side of me today - it wasn't your fault, but due to my temper and eagerness to do well in the tournie, together with everything turning to poo.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:11 am
ace._.jase
Planetoid

this is mathew from final game in tournie
i posted in tourney aswell, but i must have to ssay it again as my name has been bought up twice.
I was NOT content with 3rd and not trade with you to get it. Your trades are relly, really really stink and you know it, there was no catching them, and you know it. it was recession they were 5k ahead of us with sets, we had nothing and not much cash, now giving you 2 my 2 blacks to give you 4 and me getting orange and brown i cant upgrade was rediculous.
please stop blaming me for your last place.
it was the best i could get, seeming you blocked everything and offer stupid trades.
learn to lose, or learn to trade, either way dont put my name into your posts blaming me for your last place

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:33 am
tatoom
Planetoid

Bill2k06 wrote:
isnt life a *****

So I can say the b word in the game? Confused

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:17 am
danielson999
Planetoid

Grow up Tatuum..

Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 am
tatoom
Planetoid

danielson999 wrote:
Grow up Tatuum..

Thats right..... thats right.... thats all you can say to back up Bill on saying the b word. Allright, than I guess that means I can say the b word in the game.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:05 pm
Yiles
Moon

Now I'm actually starting to hate you

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:07 am
tatoom
Planetoid

Yiles, please dont try to start anything because you are bored or something. I dont even know who you are.
You come here with rubbish talk, thinking of starting an arguement. Please, either you got something to say in justifying Bill's curse or no. I am simply trying to figure out whats okay here and whats not. Swearing was told not to be ok, and suddenly I see a mod cursing. So this is a problem I am trying to firgure out... the mod said this and no one is trying to justify it... so this here is telling me its either okay by no one trying to justify it or it should be admitted to being a bad remark by the mod or others and give me some knowledge about this curse. Certaintly, I was banned for saying words in the same context as the b word, yet way less abusive than it.
So please Yiles, you are coming here saying "I am starting to hate you" and trying to start an arguement with me, when I am simply trying to figure something out here and doing nothing wrong.
When someone is going to swear in the forum, from now on, I am certaintly going to want to know how come the user got to use it, since I got banned for 6 months due to such things.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:13 am
Yiles
Moon

"Silence is golden"

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:19 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

Yiles, as much as I am inclined to agree with your sentiment at times, "i am starting to hate you" comments are, generally, useless.

Tatoom, there is a major difference between using one choice word in a tough spot, and having the mouth of a sailor.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 am
Yiles
Moon

Palabra-

I was merely agreeing with his signature.

You may delete it if it bothers you enough to comment upon it.

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:09 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

No. I don't think it needs to be deleted. I just think it was provocative, and that we did not need any more provocation for tatoom.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

ok, the use of swearing as said by kreso , is not at all, a bannable offence, BUT using it in direct context of calling players in a game , or constantly cursing is not allowed,
as i was commenting on a persons disgruntlement i dont see it being offensive one bit.

Tatoom, in your context you was swearing at players in a game, and NOT just one game, i looked at ALL of your chat since you came back from a 30day ban, and your colourful language had not changed one iota.

so please dont come preaching rules unless you are going to back up thoughts, with good productive argumentative cases , such as mrcrabbs has done in the last few days , as he has/had a problem with the way i run GM

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:27 am
MrCrabbs

Thank you for emphasizing that I have tried to be constructive Bill, though at times I know I fell far short of that, and at times perhaps I wasn't constructive at all.

It is true to say that I have a problem with the way GM is run (by you) at the moment - my main beef is that I want the forum to have a greater role in the running of GM.

I am not in favour of votes on individual issues generally, but I do think that policies should always be made in one of three ways:

- They are suggested or developed in forum
- You or another mod thinks of them and consults in forum, then implements, modifying if necessary or not implementing it at all if the reaction is too negative
- From Kreso in person, explaining his reasons (and saying hello, something ALL GM players would really appreciate).

Maybe there is more than 3 ways but this summarises my thinking at this point. Also, as I have said elsewhere I would like more predictable rules for what is and is not allowed on forum, to avoid what I feel is a danger that a mod will not like it and squish it without a clear reason. I am also against the idea of anything that mods consider "good for GM" to be a reason for a policy, since it is too vague and open to abuse.