Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Suggestions Points calculator
      All times are GMT  

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:04 am
MrCrabbs

Post subject: Points calculator Reply with quote

We should have a widget that calculates how many points you will get if you finish first, how many second, and so on, that you can use while in-game.

The reason for this is that sometimes in a multiplayer, you are in a situation where you can "play it cool", and be conservative in your choices, for example by accepting you will likely get second place instead of trying for first, or "go for broke", and buy/upgrade in a desperate bid to take first place.

I played a game earlier where I came third, because I took a risk to try to get first which resulted in me losing second place. When I saw the scores after, I had lost only a few hundred points. If I had come second, I would have got 1500. But had my gamble worked, I would have got 7500 points. So even though it didn't work, I didn't regret the gamble.

It would be really good to be able to see, in-game, how many points you are really playing for, in order to allow players to better make such decisions.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:44 am
Magflag12
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call crabby. I often, very often, calculate how many points I will get EVEN in a 2p. (assuming I win). And, when I come to realize my odds for getting 1st may be low, I calculate the best scenerio for me.

I have a question about shooting for 2nd in a 5p or 3rd or whatever that I will ask later.

But I think it would be great to see a calculator such as this. It would be complicated since the exact amount of points would actually differ with different end results. I have found that if you know for sure that you are going to get 1st (just pretend you can know) and you want to maximize your points. You will notice that it is best to get the lower points out first, and have the highest points out last. However if you know your gonna get second, you want to get the highest point guy out before you, so you can maximize your wins and minimize your loss.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:45 pm
MrCrabbs

Looking at the algebra of how points are calculated, it does not seem that where other players finish in the game has any bearing at all on the points you get, if you finish first.

More generally, if you finish above two or more players, the order in which they finish has no effect on the points you get.

In other words, your rank, and who is above you matters. But not the order in which they are above you. And who is below you matters, but not the order in which they are below you.

So you need to revise your calculations on this Magflag. Trying to shuffle the pack of the players who are all below you, and will finish below you with 100% certainty, achieves no gain to you, it is just interfering with their game, and hence would be classified as cheating!!!

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:51 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

i like this idea also and i think would be good for the game.

until this is introduced then you can do a 10second working out anduse this theorum to work it out.

Rating
When a player account is created, it starts with 1000 points. The players lose or receive points depending on outcome of the rated games they play.

Each player contributes a certain percentage of points, depending on his rank at the game end.

The following table contains contributing percentages:

rank
Number of players
at game start (plrCnt) 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
2 0 16
3 0 13 20
4 0 11 17 24
5 0 10 16 22 28
For a given number of players and rank, a value from this table will be reffered to as Contr[plrCnt][rank].
A player receives points from other players with lower rank, and gives points to players with higher rank.

Let Xpoints be points of a player X at game start, and his final rank be Xrank.
Points of player X will be reduced by:

loss = Xpoints * Contr[plrCnt][Xrank] / 100 (rounded down)

For each player J who has worst rank than player X (Jrank>Xrank), player X receives:

gain = Jpoints * Contr[plrCnt][Jrank] / (Jrank-1) / 100 (rounded down)
where:
Jpoints - points of player J at game start
Jrank - rank of player J at game end
In any game, this system is made such that sum of all losses is equal to sum of all gains.

Additionally, a player receives 100 bonus points if he was playing the game for more than 10 minutes.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:16 pm
judd
Planet

In my simple world.

I see that if the highest points player goes out first, they are exposed to a higher percentage of points which go in to "The kitty,"

This kitty is then split between players who rank higher.

This is why you sometimes see ganging up against the highest point account in a game.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:41 am
MrCrabbs

Well maybe we can complie a list of requests to give to Kreso when he pops up.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:20 am
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

if anyone feels compelled to put together a list of ** thetop ten most appropriate** feature requests i will hand them over.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:53 pm
MadMACS
Moon

I remember from when I used to play, years back...
It's true that the high point player(s) going out before the low point player(s) puts more points in the kitty.

To that end, sometimes if I was guaranteed 1st, I'd help out a lower point player over a higher point player near the end of the game, so that it went 1 3 2 instead of 1 2 3... and I was accused of cheating.

So, knowing the outcome of the points wouldn't be such an "easy" widget, in that in a 5p game, there's 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 possibilities of finishing orders = 120 combinations that your widget would need to spit out.

MadMacs (back from the grave)

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:41 pm
Fort
Planet

Ok i am building one, i need some data to test. Can 1 of mod post a data of

start point, end point , rank of any 5 player game.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:41 pm
MrCrabbs

Wow thank you Fort. I hope a mod will supply you with the ammo you need for this.

About Macs point, and for Fort's benefit too, the program would ideally not have a huge table on display showing all the possible rankings and associated points, rather it would work on a "what if basis" so that players feed in a ranking combionation that they think is likely, and see how that compares to another one or two ranking combinations that they think are likely.