Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:51 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Post subject: Reply with quote

hey tatoom pls pls chillax youll be back playing sooner then you know it Wink

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm
DavidNobre
Ex Moderator

Tatoom take ur time and stop complaining against ur punishment.U did enought to have it and now ur just looking for another ban.Is it what u want?Keep my advice and sooner u will be playing again. Regards David

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:13 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Multiple Accounts Reply with quote

About an hour ago, I had an interesting conversation during a game. I was playing the former Eclectico, who had his infamous giving away of over 200k points. I am sure that you remember, but for those who do not, the reason he did this was to protest the ability for users to have multiple accounts, and spam up the system.

This sounds kind of like an infeasible major change, but is there any possibility that people could be limited to one account? Hypocritically speaking, I have three, but I would be very happy to see everyone reduced to one.

Also, I would just like to say as someone pretty new to the game, I did not know about the forum for a long time. I started playing this in august or september, and did not look at the forum until 2-3 days ago. I really like the communication and community that the forum provides; it definitely enhances GM as a whole. This is definitely my favorite game, and I would love to see any changes that make it better or more appealing to the public.

Thank you all who make this game run smoothly.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:04 am
Magflag12
Moon

OK I have some ideas and responses to a few things. I will go with some responses first:

McCrabbs: I have been in this game off and on for a little over 3 years and let me tell you the game has been changed drastically by him. I don't want to beat a dead horse, because I know people have told you this, so I will say more.

Bez, Fort, Bill, All older players: McCrabbs has pure intentions. He wants to see this game improve just like everyone else, and I think there is nothing wrong with a more "critical" approach. As long as it is respectful.

I believe that Kreso and Bill will be able to come up with some kind of arrangement. Now I have some things that I think we should do, some things we should not do, and some simply observations.

Things we should NOT do:
- I think that bringing someone in, as mentioned a little before, that has financial interest is a risky idea. If he starts charging money to play we will lose players like crazy, he may grow greedy and minimize expenses to maximize gain. Someone that is here with financial interest is not here to meet the needs of players, he is here for the $$

- We should NOT discourage players from expressing ideas and having positive and constructive debates (so long as they are indeed appropriate)

- We should NOT allow older players to take advantage of newer players in any way, I think this should be the "MURDER" of all law, in that, it should be punished severely. That doesn't mean older players shouldn't beat new ones, but they should never take advantage of them. Me and some of my friends played and I, to be just funny, offered a cheap trade to my friend. He was angry and almost turned off from the game.

Things we should do

-We should limit the amount of accounts per computer to 2 or 3. I think that there is nothing wrong with having a couple, but when people have 64, it gets a little excessive.

- We should find a way to make galactic magnate simpler to operate. I know its pretty simple now, but things like, Downloading the game in the first place, trading, getting to the forums, making a complaint, whispering to a player, things like that are things that you have learn, but some of them you will never learn unless you purposely ask or look them up.

- We should allow more choices in games... I am 199% agreeable to that. Team games, speed games, etc. A choice to select players, maybe add a gamble aspect/option to it. We could make it to where you can enter "Gamble Mode" and play with players with a similar range of points and play for up to 15-30% of your score or something. Something simple, but adds interest. I know that this would be kreso's job, but if anytime in the future he can put some time into this game, or, we find someone that knows programming that can Kreso can trust to change some things up.

As for the forums

- It is important that we continue to be positive and stay active. And rather than telling a new person how to start a game, offer to play a non-rated game with him and show him the ropes. I know that is daunting, but I gurantee that that new person is 75% more likely to stay. I can remember when I first started there was this guy named HoskinsDan or something like that, that taught me some stuff. 1 week later I was playing him and was able to win. I will not forget that.

- We HAVE to get people on the forums. Look at the difference between a non-forum player and a forum player. They stick around 10X longer and are way more informed on technicalities. We can and should put up better ways for people to find out and get to the forums, but when it comes down to it, the best way to get them there is telling them about it. Telling them what it offers.

I believe in connecting people of this game together and advertising for new ones. Facebook is an excellent source for younger players. People are mainly attracted to first play this game because it is found under ONLINE Monopoly. When they get on they either love the differences, dont understand them, or hate the differences. We can't do much about the ones who hate the differences, but the ones who dont understand are the ones that we should be teaching to.

I know this was a long message, but I think that, in it, is a standard we should all be living up to. If we want the game to improve then its time we start advertising it to our friends and advertising it online OURSELVES.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:10 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Palabra Word i fully support your cause of allowing only one account if-

accounts are consolidated and all points from each account are combined into one master username account

I have earned all the points on each of my accounts and do not want to see my efforts go to waste by having my points deleted and disappear on any of my accounts

These are my opinions on the matter.
Thank you,

Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:22 am
YAAAHOOOO3

Magflag12 wrote:

As for the forums

- We HAVE to get people on the forums. Look at the difference between a non-forum player and a forum player. They stick around 10X longer and are way more informed on technicalities. We can and should put up better ways for people to find out and get to the forums, but when it comes down to it, the best way to get them there is telling them about it. Telling them what it offers.

don't quote me on this but if the game was Windows based instead of DOS based it could run straight from a website and be virtually on the same website as the forum...

im not a computer expert or know much about computers but ive seen other game run this way so it must be possible....

except from what ive heard there is no longer a dedicated programmer for GM so unless someone knows serious javascript/html and has all the GM programming info this is prob out the question

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 pm
MrCrabbs

Magflag:

Totally agree with much of what you say. And I do agree with your point that bringing in someone with a financial incentive to the game would be risky. I am no ardent capitalist, and totally understand the drawbacks. That said, I will outline the case for it, which you are free to demolish!

About cost cutting, how much can costs really be cut? I don't think that the game is expensive to maintain. On the very important point that GM should remain free to play, perhaps the partner programmer I suggest could have a minority share, or be contractually obliged not to charge for the game. Under those constraints, his/her only way of increasing the profits of the game would be to publicise it.

About word-of-mouth/facebook popularisation of the game, I totally agree that that we should all try top do that. And being decent and helpful to new players you are right about also. But Google is a powerful form of advertising, and finding ways to appear more prominently on Google should be a matter of priority.

I am interested to discuss ways that the organisation of GM could be altered so that Kreso can continue to be the guiding star, but also so that new people can do the work and choose the promotion strategies that he doesn't seem to have time for. I can't help thinking that only:

1) Truer democracy, or
2) New financial incentives, or
3) Both

Can pave the way forward. Or, (and I am joking, so don;t lynch me), Kreso becoming unemployed so he can giove us more of his time!!!

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:11 pm
toonz
Ex Moderator

I dont think there should be a limit on accounts... I just dont see the point. Though there should be an option to delete them... thats make way more sense then having a limit...