Too much disconnection
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:26 pm
carrieann06
Star

Post subject: Reply with quote

if we are statin statistics can you find out who does the most bannin? as i see that as a big problem too!

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 pm
Fort
Planet

carrieann06 wrote:
if we are statin statistics can you find out who does the most bannin? as i see that as a big problem too!

In last 3 months its as follows :

Husky 112 (figure might look a bit higher due to the fact that he was issuing majority of bans as per our division of duty in April and May out of 3 months)
Fort 29 (was issuing majority of bans in month of March)
Farsouth 26
Bill 16

Hope thats what you wanted to know.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:13 pm
trace567

I've not actually voted as I don't personally feel any of the options are significant factors alone.

Sometime ago, can't remember when but the atari website that used to have online games one of which was monopoly was stopped. I know that's when I turned up here looking for an alternative. Now I must say I actually think GM is way better than what I used to play before it got removed. So anyway I'm interested if after that site ended the games was there a big influx of new players here? If that is/was the case maybe this could be a part of why numbers are now dwindling.

Also I think there needs to be some way of keeping those new players that arrive. The game is more complicated than original monopoly, so when new players join they get a little shock. Know I did. Took me a while to get to grips with the game. So although I don't really know the answer, I do think something needs to alter to encourage those need players to stay.
I do often if I'm about chat to new players telling them that it can take time to get a game etc. But often they do get over looked. Or because they get bored they start mouthing off. Maybe something about bad langague not being tolerated should appear somewhere when you log in.

Older players that might be leaving could be a variety of reasons, sometimes people just move on in life and no longer have the time to play. Especially larger games with more players are very time consuming. Especially if you get 1 or 2 super slow players that either take forever to roll each time or do auctions in +30 all the way up to gawd knows what. That's a big bug bare with me.

Recent server problems with dc's and going off line my be a part of the problem.

I know there has been some argument over being booted if in afk. I do not think it is wrong to boot afk people, but it would be good if when you get booted for being in afk a message appeared to explain that. First time I got booted for being in afk I thought I must have done something wrong as all it says is you were booted by moderator. To a newish player this could put them off.

Ok ramble over.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:44 pm
Fort
Planet

That makes lot of sense trace. May be we need some thing to hold on and help new players to carry on through first few games.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:45 pm
Husky
Ex Moderator

Fort wrote:
In last 3 months its as follows :

Husky 112 (figure might look a bit higher due to the fact that he was issuing majority of bans as per our division of duty in April and May out of 3 months)
Fort 29 (was issuing majority of bans in month of March)
Farsouth 26
Bill 16

Hope thats what you wanted to know.

But please tell to the players that you are no longer in charge of the complaints section for the last couple of months. Also tell them that Bill is not here anymore. But this is known by all.

And the funny part is that last days I was complaining about posts dissapearing and now I'm about to discover why: because that post where Bill stated the duties for all mods has just dissapeared. Very interesting. Isn't it?

That's what you need to remember.

Husky - best dogs ever invented.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:47 pm
Husky
Ex Moderator

Fort wrote:
That makes lot of sense trace. May be we need some thing to hold on and help new players to carry on through first few games.

This has already been resolved.
There are players who help new ones to learn the game quicker. Wink
I will not mention their names, because there's no need for you to know.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm
HHHfan
Moon

heres an idea..... crack down on the cheats, ease up on the language penaltys!!! let people have thier "freedom to speak" and crack down on cheaters, this may well keep some new players who may find it lame that they were banned for telling someone to f off or something like that, everyone is prone to do this sometimes, like that deal with baltimore a while back where someone accused 2 good trades of being cheat trades to the point anyone in the game coulda snapped on him but baltimore did and got banned cause this troublemaker reported him. not a dig at u husky, u did what u thought was right and i never questioned it, im only suggesting to ease up on the strictness of the language rules. Twisted Evil

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:00 pm
Husky
Ex Moderator

HHHfan wrote:
im only suggesting to ease up on the strictness of the language rules. Twisted Evil

Consider please that this game is also played by little kids.
Obscene and abusive language is not a good thing to be promoted in our game.
More than that we had some complaints in the past from parents about the language used here and seen and used then by their little kids.

Thank you.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:11 pm
HHHfan
Moon

understandable..... however i watched a little kid try to play this game, it wasnt pretty even with me standing there telling him what to do. my nephew is 13 or something and he gets it pretty good but my buddy has a kid whos like 10 and he couldnt get it for the life of him, nor could his brother. my point is any little kid isnt gonna play too long, its just too complicated and time consumeing. anyone whos 13, like my nephew, has likely already heard all the bad words by now, and if they are gonna say em, they are gonna say em. as i said i see your point.... but seriously, how many little kids do u figure play in here. my guess would be not many, and u could pry tell cause they will be the ones rated 900 and under. maybe not all little kids, but id suspect that it would be a typical result of a little kid trying to play this game. either way of coarse, its no big deal to me, i have only suggestions and again husky let me say, im not saying your wrong or anything like that... please dont take me wrong and get all offended. Smile

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:53 pm
Husky
Ex Moderator

No problem HHHfan.
I perfectly understand your point. Wink

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:42 am
HHHfan
Moon

this is more of a question than a point but it is both i suppose..... what if you accepted that 90 percent of the people who are gonna play this game extensively are more than likely gonna be at least young adults who are not gonna learn any kind of new language.... except maybe porchagese, lol. what if u then loosened the restrictions on the language. point and question is, if you did this, bear in mind i say crack down on the cheaters, but if you did consider this a young adult or mainly adult site and game, would it attract and keep more players, especially those who feel, as i said earlier in this thread, it is lame to get banned for such things and never come back, same with all the so called inappropriate usernames. just a thought/question. Twisted Evil

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:59 am
mikefuson
Planetoid

I agree with Husky. My son plays this game and he is 13. His account is mfuson1 is at 4000+ I think. The only reason I let him play is because of the banning system in place for foul language, cheaters, and control of pushing of websites. If they eliminated that I would not let him play. Special thanks to all the mods who keep it straight. I voted it's because of the DC's.
Mike

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:28 am
HHHfan
Moon

hey mike, far be it from me to tell anyone how to raise thier kid, it is thier business, in this case yours. however, lets think for a minute about the reality of a 13 year old. come on man, dont tell me when you were thirteen that nobody ever cussed in the schoolyard or fought amongst themselves using explicit language? of coarse they did. of coarse they do. if u think they dont, you are likely sadly mistaken. i dont believe a 13 year old is gonna learn anything from what could possibly be said in this gameroom or forum for that matter that they havent already heard, and if not, it is not far off anyhow. back to the subject at hand though, if we could all agree that anyone under the age of thirteen is likely not going to grasp this game and be good enough to maintain interest, and the majority of your users are young adults to adults, and thirteen sir, in my view, is a young adult, speaking from when i was thirteen i guess. i suppose by the same standard your kids are also not allowed to watch many tv shows. its cool im not being mean, im just taking a guess here, cause most tv shows today are pretty explicit in content and some in language especially comedy central and fx. i guess what im saying is that by age thirteen, its time to pull the veil off anyhow and say ok son this is how it is in the real world and there are appropriate and inapproprite times to use this language and do these things. im proposing only that it may be in galactic magnates best interest to loosen the restrictions on speaking to keep more people here. im not saying im right or wrong, i just think it would be worth a shot. Twisted Evil

Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:51 am
kensingtonworkshop
Planetoid

HHH - Mike is a parent - and has his views on raising his kids. He was just stating that if the restrictions were loosened, then his son wouldn't be allowed to play - and that is fair enough (and I say good on him). This therefore would become a reason why some users will vanish.

Kudos to him in trying to let his son enjoy his childhood without the bombardment of abuse and crewdness that todays society throws at people.

PS> Moderators....you guys deserve a pat on the back because you don't get paid to perform the work you do on this site...BUT....man....do we need moderators to moderate the moderators ? this thread was here to gauge personal opinion on a reduction in usage....not to start publicly pounding each other on the basis that "i banned more people than you did"

I'm not going to be banned now am i !

Shocked

Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:59 am
Fort
Planet

kensingtonworkshop wrote:

PS> Moderators....you guys deserve a pat on the back because you don't get paid to perform the work you do on this site...BUT....man....do we need moderators to moderate the moderators ? this thread was here to gauge personal opinion on a reduction in usage....not to start publicly pounding each other on the basis that "i banned more people than you did"

I'm not going to be banned now am i !

Shocked

There was a moderator to moderate moderators, but few mods have refused to accept him as superior. So there is very little that can be done until owner of this game returns, which i have heard is few weeks more.
And no one would be banned for any forum post, and yours has been much polite in putting forward your view, nothing offensive in it.