Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate General Discussion Is Riggin results cheating? probably but is it?
      All times are GMT  

do you think its cheating
yes
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
no
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
not by defenition of cheating but still yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
only if it happend to me
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 pm
SnickersBar
Moon

Post subject: Is Riggin results cheating? probably but is it? Reply with quote

if u got cash to spare would it be cheating to say make some traids to transfer cash so a higher rated player would come in below that person. since this would obviously increase points i recieve for winning but most likely be called cheating. For traiding it would profit both players one recieves more points one a better position. wouldnt be under mortage value and all that so i guess it wouldnt be labeled a cheat traid by definition. but would be ethically wrong which i personally dont mind too much Twisted Evil, but am sure i would get reported for so i thought id start a discussion first. I clicked the only if it happend to me Very Happy since im sure everyone would be pissed if played this way

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:00 pm
Fort
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would be cheating. The definition of fair trades speaks of rank not points. If you are coming 3rd, and by your trade you swap between persons coming 4th and 2nd, it does not improve your rank and thus it will be called cheating in strict sense of definition.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:36 pm
SnickersBar
Moon

tx for tellin me i was wondering

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:58 am
muffinhead
Planet

I disagree, the aim of winning a match is to gain as many points as possible. If the trade was made so that ur points increased then that benefits u and benefits the other player.

Fort it was YOU who said that as long as a trade benefits both players then it can not be called unfair. I dont c anywhere where it says the definition speaks on ranks not points but if it does say that then that is most ridiculous. To me rank and points should come under the same definition.

Final words- by the current definaition of a trade it is fine since it benefits both players.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:26 am
Fort
Planet

In words of Kreso :

Quote:
Following are termed as unfair :

1.Cooperative play is considered cheating.
There are two possibilities, applicable only when more than 3 players are playing:
a) Two players conducted a trade, where the trade is obviously advantageous only for one player.
b) During auction, a player didn't bid the price up despite that being obviously disadvantageous for him. The auction is then won by another player for obviously too low price.

Here "advantageous" means increasing the chance to get better rank at the end of the game. Trades conducted in 3+ player games must be advantageous to both parties involved in trade.

If you remember, Kreso had tried to reduce the menace of player marking by disabling the /info commands for players in game. It was done precisely to prevent players to go after high rated players. But since it was not very effective the feature was removed. And honestly speaking definition are meant to be used as guideline. To me marking a particular player to make him lose at any cost is against the spirit of game and while doing that i am in confirmity with views of admin, which has to prevail.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:56 am
fingerbun
Planet

Muffinface, sometimes i think if your brain was on strike, you couldn't pick-at your nose. How about you read the rules, interpret them correctly and stop trying to manipulate them for your own advantage and argument sake.

So you’re saying an unfair trade in a game is fair if: you allow another player to leap frog your opponent for the purpose of points. Does everyone realize how contradictive this is? Points are an external factor to the actual ‘game play’ whilst playing.

I could imagine if someone conducted this type of trade against you, we would never hear the end of it.

I really thought this one was a no brainer. I am disappointed with you young Muffinface...

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:39 am
muffinhead
Planet

Fingerbang my brain isnt on stirke so dont be stupid bout it.

answer this, what makes u a better player. Have a higher rank or have a higher amount of points? I am a person who is quite passionate about points and on my big account thats all that matters. If im here for a fun social game then sure i use a lower account for that.

Ok tell me what u would do? u r definatly going to win the game and there is a guy about to be dead who has 5k in poiints against a guy who has 20k in points? u let him survive so that u gain of an estimation 1k in points? I wouldnt do such i thing but to c it reported and a person explains that reason for doing the trade then there is aboslutly no way in the world u can call it unfair.

As for fort i apologise that i didnt read that part and thanks for pointing it out.

If u dont play for points then i have no idea what keeps people playing for such a long time. For me points r my passion to keep playing and the great people around here. I respect all who arnt passionate.

But to come on here and critisce me, im dissapointed finger.

Final words- I believe it should be changed but it will not matter to me as i cant c myself being smart enough to remeber to do that during a game.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:48 am
Fort
Planet

I see this as another reason to reduce matching factor. The whole issue will not be as serious if you are playing only 2x players. Difference wont me much.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:06 am
fingerbun
Planet

Quote:
"Ok tell me what u would do? u r definatly going to win the game and there is a guy about to be dead who has 5k in poiints against a guy who has 20k in points?"

That's easy. Try and conduct a trade that benefits both you and the lowest ranked player. Don’t intentionally cheat to kill the player with the most points.

If this was allowed, the player with the highest account would be targeted every game. I am not too interested in arguing this one. You are so wrong and misguided about this rule it isn’t funny.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:17 am
muffinhead
Planet

Its true that it would be unfair to the highest ranked player so i rest my case. But i am most disappointed that u didnt even understand my view.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:19 pm
MadMACS
Moon

I was recently in a 4p or 5p game, and I felt "targeted"...
I had 17k points at time (most in game) and everyone else was in the 6-8k range.

Throughout the game, everyone bid my properties a little higher, charged me more on trades, etc.

And then, at the end, when I was pretty assured of 3rd or 4th, the player who was assured of 1st bought the props from the two players that were about to go out, so that they could outlast me.

The prices weren't "unreasonable" or rediculous, but when start is at -450, I wouldn't be offering 800 for 1 ext to a player who's about to pass start and go bankrupt.

So, I do think that sometimes players make trades based on who's "higher rank" in the game.

Also, back to the comment about 2x multiplier instead of 5x multiplier, if it was only 2x, it would be REALLY hard to get started, and the people at the top wouldn't make a difference...

At 50k, you could play anyone from 25k-100k... At 1k, you could play 500-2k, a MUCH smaller window. Very tough to get 4-5p games going with such a small window.

I like the 5x multiplier. Any more than that would be a little unfair, because someone with 1k points could join a 5p game with say, 4 players with 7k points, and if they came in 1st, they'd pick up more points than they started with.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:10 pm
SnickersBar
Moon

sry didn't wana start an argument was just wondering if i could add this crooked tactic in my book Twisted Evil. But y don't u make it when u play the game that theres a flat rate win and loss of points for a 5p 4p 3p 2p game. This would eliminate the problems with matching factor, would encourage more games to be played and ppl to quit hanging in the lobby waiting for profitable ppl to play. It would also reduce the exponential increase in points making the 30k+ up (sometimes lower) ppl seem so good (or they might think so) and partially get so cocky about it. Im not saying that its not true that u need to be quite good to make it there it is but ur not god because of it. Cuz in this forum (and lobby chat ) a lot of u place emphasis on ur current points for ur posts being correct see a noob post his opinion he gets called a noob a lot and told to learn the game. Democracy i think not!!!

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:27 pm
Popovitsj
Moon

I would say it's cheating. And I don't like the idea of people picking on higher ranks! Because there would be a lot of picking on me and for me only 2 people to pick on! So no, don't add this crooky tactic to your book please!